In Catholic philosophical thought, the soul is considered the animating principle of the body. Without the soul, the body is dead; conversely anyone who is alive has a soul.
Yes.
However, the situation is that for many centuries the fetus was not considered to be alive. Saint Thomas Aquinas considered it murder only if the fetus was animated. I am not sure if the Church in days gone by, considered the death of the fetus a mortal or venial sin - like the use of contraception ( is that a mortal sin?).
"Objection 2. Further, it is written (Exodus. 21:22): ‘If . . . one strike a woman with child, and she miscarry indeed . . . if her death ensue thereupon, he shall render life for life’. Yet this may happen without any intention of causing her death. Therefore one is guilty of murder through killing someone by chance.
I answer that: According to the Philosopher (Phys. ii, 6) ‘chance is a cause that acts beside one’s intention’. Hence chance happenings, strictly speaking, are neither intended nor voluntary. And since every sin is voluntary, according to Augustine (De Vera Relig. xiv) it follows that chance happenings, as such, are not sins. . . .
Reply to Objection. 2. He that strikes a woman with child does something unlawful: wherefore if there results the death either of the woman or of the animated fetus, he will not be excused from homicide, especially seeing that death is the natural result of such a blow."
Summa Theologiae, IIa, IIae, q. 64, a 8
The medical terminology that we use today is not helpful. If a baby dies 20 weeks after conception it is called a ‘stillbirth’ but if less than 20 weeks it is a ‘miscarriage’. On is considered a ‘birth’ (and maybe registered) but not if it happens before the 20th week. Why twenty weeks? At twenty weeks it still can not survive on it’s own.
+++
Wow! The ovum was ‘discovered’ in 1827 by Karl Ernst von Baer
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embryology
+++
Beginning of human personhood, wiki provides a nice overview of the different proposed ideas for the determining ‘personhood’. On person suggest the use of determining when the brain can be said to be ‘alive’ in the fetus, as now the idea is accepted of determining death by (claiming - my insert) a person is 'brain dead".
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beginning_of_human_personhood
Here is an excellent article about how the notion of declaring a person ‘brain dead’ came to be. It sent chills up my spine. What I have learned and witnessed of the medical community these past years has made me leery of doctors, nurses et al. I have come to recognize the wisdom of Hippocrates when he required in the oath that doctors.
catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=7952
+++
The Hippocratic Oath
I swear by Apollo, the healer, Asclepius, Hygieia, and Panacea, and I take to witness all the gods, all the goddesses, to keep according to my ability and my judgment, the following Oath and agreement:
To consider dear to me, as my parents, him who taught me this art; to live in common with him and, if necessary, to share my goods with him; To look upon his children as my own brothers, to teach them this art; and that by my teaching, I will impart a knowledge of this art to my own sons, and to my teacher’s sons, and to disciples bound by an indenture and oath according to the medical laws, and no others.
I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone.
I will give no deadly medicine to any one if asked, nor suggest any such counsel; and similarly I will not give a woman a pessary to cause an abortion.
But I will preserve the purity of my life and my arts.
I will not cut for stone, even for patients in whom the disease is manifest; I will leave this operation to be performed by practitioners, specialists in this art.
In every house where I come I will enter only for the good of my patients, keeping myself far from all intentional ill-doing and all seduction and especially from the pleasures of love with women or men, be they free or slaves.
All that may come to my knowledge in the exercise of my profession or in daily commerce with men, which ought not to be spread abroad, I will keep secret and will never reveal.
If I keep this oath faithfully, may I enjoy my life and practise my art, respected by all humanity and in all times; but if I swerve from it or violate it, may the reverse be my life.
If the medical professionals keep it up, we are going to start coming up with our own treatments and fearing for our lives stay away from them. Hippocrates was a wise man.