When does Lent officially end

• Thread starter Thread starter rinnie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was taught this way, too. As an adult, it finally dawned on me that if Lent is 40 days long, how come it lasts just over 6 weeks??? Subtract out the Sundays, and guess what?
Same here. I asked my Dad again, he agrees with the no fast on Sunday, but as a kid they were like yo, and I. they did it the whole time. So thats why we did it. His personal reason for this was Jesus didnt get Sundays off. He said the suffering started on Ash Wed and Easter Sunday is when the Celebration Began. But i do believe it would be safe to say Easter Sunday because that is when Christ is Risen and if you choose to eat or whatever you gave up for lent on the Sundays between it would be ok… But i guess now that i did it this long i will stay with waiting till Easter. Just another way of giving a little more.

1. Yes, in years past, every Monday-Saturday of Lent was a day of fast and (at least partial-) abstinence.
  2. Although we tie our voluntary sacrifices to the period of Lent:
    A) this means we’re giving them up “until Easter,” even though there’s that funny “season” of the Triduum in the calendar now
    B) that doesn’t matter, because those *voluntary *sacrifices are entirely your own creation, and as such are on your own terms. You are free to alter, mitigate, transfer, or even stop them. The only limitation is whether you feel you can do this in good conscience. So say I decided to consume only bread and water during Lent. About midway through week four I say, “wow, this is so harsh it just doesn’t seem wise anymore.” I’m free to stop that form of fasting. If, on the other hand, I gave up something like chocolate and at the same point in Lent I’m saying, “wow, I’d really like some sweets and this stuff is just voluntary anyway” - then I think we could say there’s some culpability for failing in a commitment to God out of pure laziness. Let your conscience be your guide.

i understand that one should wait until easter sunday to “indulge” in whatever was given up for lent ?

but, i have talked with some that mentioned “it is fine” to continue at noon of holy thursday ? would that be correct ?

once again, i understand that it would make more sense to wait until easter – but, is holy thursday alright ?

any feedback would be appreciated ( thursday is closing in very fast !! )

The Lenten fast ends at midnight on Holy Saturday. Final.
Which is technically Easter Sunday. I agree, at least thats the way i have always did it. And will continue to do so, Thanks everyone and have a Blessed and Peaceful Easter.

i understand your responses –

but, i have been told recently that “thursday” was the final day of “giving up something” for lent ??

but, i have been told recently that “thursday” was the final day of “giving up something” for lent ??
If you fasted from whatever for Lent, doesn’t it stand to reason that you’d keep fasting from it until after the Vigil? While technically Lent is over with the Mass of the Lord’s Supper, we are still to fast until the Vigil. Fast ends with the Vigil.

Can’t wait for that first shot of brandy and those "baby-back ribs?

😃 …me too! 😃

But I’m goin’ to wait 'till Sunday anyway.🙂

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.

Lent is from Ash Wednesday To Holy Thursday. Good Friday and Holy Saturday are a season unto themselves. According to the Missal I have from a great Aunt of mine from 1937 all are to Fast on all day of lent( Sundays are excluded) All Fridays are days days of fasting and abstinence. So during lent you should fast Monday through Saturday( one regular meal 2 small snack like meals that do not equal the one regular meal) and on Ash Wednesday and all Fridays you should fast and abstain from meat. Also don’t forget that Ember Day are also days of fasting and Abstinence.

I myself have tried this year to follow these fasting guidelines for Lent is not easy, but did make about 75% of the time. Also this is the First year in many that I did not forget at least once on Friday to abstain from Meat And I believe its because I decided During Advent to Start Abstaining from meat on Fridays throughout the year. It is a personal decision that I have found helps me focus on The faith.

Can’t wait for that first shot of brandy and those "baby-back ribs?

😃 …me too! 😃

But I’m goin’ to wait 'till Sunday anyway.🙂

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
Hey Mangy dog have a shot of brandy for me and a few ribs. Trust me they will never taste as good as they will that day. ENJOY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back