When does the Great Fast start?

• Thread starter Thread starter josephdaniel29
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

josephdaniel29

Forgive my ignorance but I assume Eastern Catholic Lent begins the same time Western Lent does?

Forgive my ignorance but I assume Eastern Catholic Lent begins the same time Western Lent does?
No, it does not. But there is nothing to forgive - this forum is here to answer questions!

Our “Great Fast” (lent) begins on a monday. Here in the US, the vast majority of Eastern Catholics use the same dating for Easter as the Roman Church does… in Europe and the middle east, we generally follow the Orthodox dating…

So as a rule of thumb:
  1. It never begins on the same day - we start two days earlier.
  2. In some parts of the world in some years - we don’t even start the same week. (Every so many years, Roman and Greek Easter are the same…)

No, it does not. But there is nothing to forgive - this forum is here to answer questions!

Our “Great Fast” (lent) begins on a monday. Here in the US, the vast majority of Eastern Catholics use the same dating for Easter as the Roman Church does… in Europe and the middle east, we generally follow the Orthodox dating…

So as a rule of thumb:
  1. It never begins on the same day - we start two days earlier.
  2. In some parts of the world in some years - we don’t even start the same week. (Every so many years, Roman and Greek Easter are the same…)
Thanks for the response. I’m Orthodox and I assumed Eastern Catholic Lent began the same time as ours.

Well you know what they say, when you assume…

🙂

Thanks for the response. I’m Orthodox and I assumed Eastern Catholic Lent began the same time as ours.
It is the same timing as Orthodoxy. The only difference is in which calendar is followed. The Great Fast is held on the Gregorian or modified Julian calendar in most Eastern Catholic Churches in North America, making today Clean Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back