My normal way of fasting on days like Ash Wednesday involves me refraining from eating anything until dinnertime, which for me is usually between 5.30 pm and 6.15 pm.
What methods do you typically employ vis-a-vis fasting?
I fast most of the time by not eating flesh meat (I eat fish.) Some have called me a Catholic vegetarian.
I have heard that one should eat only bread and water on Wednesdays and Fridays (or was it Saturdays?). I think that Mary told someone this - is this the First Saturdays devotion?
My normal way of fasting on days like Ash Wednesday involves me refraining from eating anything until dinnertime, which for me is usually between 5.30 pm and 6.15 pm.
What methods do you typically employ vis-a-vis fasting?
I’m almost the opposite - very much a believer in a good breakfast.
On fast days I would breakfast - a good hearty one but not excessive, and perhaps make it later than usual (maybe 9 or 10 am).
Then something light, like a slice or two of toast, or some fruit and yoghurt or something. Once at maybe 2 or 3 pm if I need it, and possibly again in the evening.
Well, to round out the votes, I’ll eat around lunch time. That will be right before I go to work, and since I work with kids (pre-school/after-scholl program), I figure that is when I’ll need the most energy.
Hehehe… I just got my schedule and every day when I should be fasting is a day when I have to work overtime. Tomorrow I’ll be on my feet from noon to 11pm or midnight.
My main meal of the day is usually lunch anyway. I figure I’ll eat a banana and possibly some toast for breakfast, eat a nice tofu soup at lunchtime, and that should tide me over until the late evening, when I’ll need at least another banana to finish the day. They buy us snacks at work, but I don’t know if the snack will be something I can eat or not - one of the receptionists that orders the snack is Catholic, so I hope she gets something appropriate to serve as the final meal of the day instead of the banana.
DISCLAIMER: Catholic Answers has turned over the archive to Catholic-Questions.org and no longer owns, manages, or moderates the forums. For additional apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.