When/how did wine become optional?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ttuskey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ttuskey

Guest
Hello - I just discovered this site tonight, and this is my first post.

Something struck me as odd the last time I was at Mass.
I would venture a guess that at my parish 10% or less of the parishoners take the wine. I am 43 and don’t think I have since my First Communion, even at my own wedding.

When did it go from “Do this in memory of Me” to “If you feel like it…”?
Is this a Vatican II change?
 
Hello - I just discovered this site tonight, and this is my first post.

Something struck me as odd the last time I was at Mass.
I would venture a guess that at my parish 10% or less of the parishoners take the wine. I am 43 and don’t think I have since my First Communion, even at my own wedding.

When did it go from “Do this in memory of Me” to “If you feel like it…”?
Is this a Vatican II change?
Before it was optional, you couldn’t have it at all for hundreds of years in the Roman Rite.
 
When did it go from “Do this in memory of Me” to “If you feel like it…”?
Is this a Vatican II change?
Yes, it is a Vatican II change. Before Vatican II, as ConstantineTG said, you would have seen approximately 0% of the congregation receive from the cup. The old rule (communication under the species of bread only) was instituted to forcibly dispel the heresy that a person must receive both the (consecrated) bread and wine to have Communion, whereas in fact each species on its own contains the Body, Blood, Soul, Divinity of Jesus entire.
 
Church wine in my area is generally amazing (donated by local wineries in a very grape heavy area), so I really can’t fathom why so many people choose not to partake in it. Such a shame, they are really missing out.
 
I’m sure the apostles all partook of both species (except probably Judas), and none skipped the wine. Unless I’ve got a cold sore, I do take a sip. A thing that puzzles me is that intincture (dipping the Host into the chalice) is not allowed. A priest told me the Church is worried about the spilling of a drop, but if one is careful it won’t happen, and it’s more sanitary. And they do let us handle the entire chalice? Aren’t there risks in that?🤷
 
He
When did it go from “Do this in memory of Me” to “If you feel like it…”?
Is this a Vatican II change?
no, the opposite,
for several hundred years before VII laity received from the cup only rarely if at all, in some times and places during their own nuptial Mass, or for first communion. The injunction is addressed to the priests (the apostles), not to the congregation. The priest must consume both the consecrated Body and Blood. In Eastern rites where the species are mingled and then given to the communicants this is not an issue. Today, you have a choice and there are many legitimate reasons choose to receive under only one form.
I’A thing that puzzles me is that intincture (dipping the Host into the chalice) is not allowed. A
not exactly, self-intinction, the practice of taking the host from the minister and dipping it yourself in the chalice before receiving is forbidden. The priest (no other minister) may administer by intinction, and there are vessels made for that purpose that remove any danger of irreverence.
 
I’m sure the apostles all partook of both species (except probably Judas), and none skipped the wine. Unless I’ve got a cold sore, I do take a sip. A thing that puzzles me is that intincture (dipping the Host into the chalice) is not allowed. A priest told me the Church is worried about the spilling of a drop, but if one is careful it won’t happen, and it’s more sanitary. And they do let us handle the entire chalice? Aren’t there risks in that?🤷
Intinction can only be done by the priest. The problem is if a person is not too careful, they can dip their fingers in the Precious Blood.
 
Hello - I just discovered this site tonight, and this is my first post.

Something struck me as odd the last time I was at Mass.
I would venture a guess that at my parish 10% or less of the parishoners take the wine. I am 43 and don’t think I have since my First Communion, even at my own wedding.

When did it go from “Do this in memory of Me” to “If you feel like it…”?
Is this a Vatican II change?
The precious blood has always been optional, except for the celebrant and concelebrants. Before the council, only the celebrant would receive, although I’ve heard cases of gluten intolerant persons receiving the precious blood, but it would still be very rare.
I’m sure the apostles all partook of both species (except probably Judas), and none skipped the wine. Unless I’ve got a cold sore, I do take a sip. A thing that puzzles me is that intincture (dipping the Host into the chalice) is not allowed. A priest told me the Church is worried about the spilling of a drop, but if one is careful it won’t happen, and it’s more sanitary. And they do let us handle the entire chalice? Aren’t there risks in that?🤷
Are people careful though? At my old parish where they practiced intinction, on a very regular basis, there would be drips on the floor. Only the priest is to incinct.
 
The precious blood has always been optional, except for the celebrant and concelebrants. .
That is correct. Both my parents recieved their First Holy Communions under both species via intinction.

It was also offered that way during Feasts assocaited with the Blessed Sacrament, such as Holy Thursday and the Feast of the Most Precious Blood.

That is in Ireland during the 40’s.

So it was optional, but the use of that option varied widely.
 
At my old parish where they practiced intinction, on a very regular basis, there would be drips on the floor. Only the priest is to incinct.
At our parish, the Eucharist is offered intincted by the priest. An altarboy is alway there with a paten. The patens are purified after Mass.
 
When did it go from “Do this in memory of Me” to “If you feel like it…”?
Is this a Vatican II change?
The Instruction to “Do this is memory of Me” is an instruction to the Apostles (who are Bishops) to conduct the Mass.

It cannot be taken to apply to the laity, as we cannot Do what Christ did ( confect the Eucharist and offer His Body and Blood as a Sacrifice) at all, let alone in His Memory.

What DOES apply to us is to Eat of His Body and Drink of His Blood. This is done in either species, as His Body is fully present in either species, as is His Blood present in either species.

So even if we consume the species of Bread alone, we drink His Blood and His commandment to us is fulfilled.
 
The only times I do not take wine at Communion is if I have a cold (as not to pass it on) or if the minister in the area has no wine left if I am near the end of the Communion line after receiving the host.

My mother chooses not to take the wine as she does not like the taste of any wine & her medications. No one has confronted her about that choice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top