When multiple bishops are con-celebrating, who carries the crossier?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PacoG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PacoG

Guest
When multiple bishops are concelebrating a Mass or Vespers for some other liturgical event, and they are vested in sacred vestments (as opposed to being in choir), who carries a crossier? Is it the main celebrant/presider or can they all carry it?

I used to think it was the main celebrant/presider until I saw a couple of examples:
  1. In the painting of the coronation of Napolean, although the Pope is clearly presiding, other bishops are portrayed holding crossiers. Is that a Tridentine thing?
  2. I recently saw footage of an installation of an Episcopalian bishop. In that footage, several of the bishops are carrying crossiers. Is that reflective of anything or is it that anything goes in the Episcopalian Church so bishops can do whatever they want? (In that footage, some bishops were wearing red chasubles, some were wearing green…it seemed like they did whatever they wanted.)
  3. I also saw footage on YouTube of some bufoonish group of bishops in something called the Reformed Catholic Church. It is supposed to be an “ordination Mass” for several “bishops.” Several of the “bishops” are seen carrying their staffs in both the opening procession and the recessional. Of course, I don’t take this group of Clown-Bishops seriously. The main “celebrant” seems intent to showing off how well he can twirl around the censor when he is incensing the altar. In the recessional, one “bishop” is dragging his staff while another one twirls it like he is in a vaudeville review. So I don’t know how accurate that gathering of “bishops” (or clown-bishops by the way they act) is that of a gathering of bishops.
 
Sorry friend, I can’t find an answer for you, however I think it is just the main celebrant, according to the same rules as the use of the pallium. If the Pope is present, he uses it. If the Pope is not, but the Primate of the region is present, then he uses it. If the Primate is not present, but the Metropolitan is, he uses it. Otherwise, the Ordinary uses the crozier (although unless he is also the Metropolitan, he does not have the pallium).
 
Since 2 and 3 aren’t dealing with real bishops, they’re not reliable sources.

As for #1. I’m no art expert, but I’ve done some web searches, and I’m wonderring if you mean the painting of Napoleon’s coronation done by Jacques Louis David? That’s the only one I can find.

As I look there, I can only see 2 crosiers. Here’s my source: library.thinkquest.org/C0110901/imagesAll/coronation.jpg

To the Pope’s left, behind Napoleon there’s one bishop holding a crosier. Since he’s in a prominent place, and he’s wearing the gold mitre, I presume that he’s the archbishop of Paris. The other crosier is held by someone who is kneeling (most likely, though perhaps sitting [unlikely], I can’t tell); he is behind the women holding the ends of Josephine’s train. This is probably the Pope’s crosier.

The Pope himself seems to have the processional crucifix, not a crosier. The only other person who seems to have a crosier is the cleric to the left of the Archbishop (if indeed that’s who he is). He either is wearing a white skullcap or his’s tonsured–I can’t tell, but he appears to be wearing a pallium. At first glance, he seems to have a staff of some sorts, but a closer look reveals that the staff is actually being held by one of the men wearing a black cape or some sort of coat. So that still leaves us with only 2, unless I can’t find the others.

I don’t have a pontiffical (the book used by bishops to describe what they do liturgically), but I’ve always been under the impression that only the presiding bishop (ie the bishop of the place, since they “should” be one and the same) uses the crosier. There’s no question as to why the Pope would have his crosier. Perhaps the Archbishop of Parish has his because he’s the bishop of the place. Just throwing some thoughts out there for discussion.

Do you have other sources for several bishops using their crosiers? One source just isn’t enough to go by. From my own memory, I can’t recall any examples of a time when I saw several bishops with crosiers, though I’ve seen plenty of liturgies with more than one bishop. That’s not to say it doesn’t happen, or it’s not liturgically proper, simply that I haven’t personally seen it–or at least never noticed it. The obvious exception being the ordination/installation of a new bishop. The times when I have had occasion to take notice (such as assisting a visiting bishop, or an auxiliary or retiree) only the ordinary of the place has a crosier.

Hopefully, someone who does have a Pontiffical can provide some concrete answers. I know Japhy has one. Are you there?
 
The “Tridentine” rule, as elucidated in 1919, was that only the prelate presiding (with a few exceptions) was entitled to the crosier. However, there were various local customs which had all the bishops appear fully vested in cope, mitre, stole, and holding the crosier. This might have been prevalent in Paris at the time. Usually, if submitted to the Congregation of Rites, the stole and the crosier were discouraged. The only time it was permitted (as the rubrics indicated) was for mass ordinations to the episcopate (if they happened) - all those ordinaed would hold crosiers at certain points
 
Hopefully, someone who does have a Pontiffical can provide some concrete answers. I know Japhy has one. Are you there?
Sorry to disappoint. I’ve got the GIRM, a Sacramentary, a Missale Romanum, and plenty of others… but not Pontifical. Yet…
 
The picture of Napoleon’s coronation is probably atypical for liturgical usage, and more representative of court usage (including Church Councils). The Pope (unless I miss my guess, is the palliumed figure in front of the altar, with the white skull cap (seems to be directing Napoleon as well).

The crosier near the altar is either held by an obscured bishop in blue or a hooded figure (monk?). The hooded figure behind Josephine appears to be an abbot (with pontificals, minus miter?)

There is a bigger picture here, click to zoom.

But as to who would carry one in a concelebrated Mass, I would have to go with the presiding bishop only, but again lack the pontifical to be certain.
 
The picture of Napoleon’s coronation is probably atypical for liturgical usage, and more representative of court usage (including Church Councils). The Pope (unless I miss my guess, is the palliumed figure in front of the altar, with the white skull cap (seems to be directing Napoleon as well).

The crosier near the altar is either held by an obscured bishop in blue or a hooded figure (monk?). The hooded figure behind Josephine appears to be an abbot (with pontificals, minus miter?)

There is a bigger picture here, click to zoom.

But as to who would carry one in a concelebrated Mass, I would have to go with the presiding bishop only, but again lack the pontifical to be certain.
This is getting interresting.

So that’s the Pope who’s seated in white vestments, pallium, and white skullcap. I misread the description from another page, and thought the Pope was the one in gold cope/white mitre.

The image you provided lets the user hover over certain faces to reveal their identity. But only some, not all–unfortunately for us. Once I click the whole image and zoom, though, the details do come out pretty clear–thanks.

The bishop to the right of Card. Caprara (who himself is on the Pope’s right) isn’t identified but he appears to have the crosier at first, but zooming reveals that his hands are actually folded and someone to his right has it.

The Pope has his right hand in a blessing gesture.

Bottom line, though, as you said, is that we can’t look at this one painting as an example. We simply need more sources.
 
This is getting interresting.

So that’s the Pope who’s seated in white vestments, pallium, and white skullcap. I misread the description from another page, and thought the Pope was the one in gold cope/white mitre.

The image you provided lets the user hover over certain faces to reveal their identity. But only some, not all–unfortunately for us. Once I click the whole image and zoom, though, the details do come out pretty clear–thanks.

The bishop to the right of Card. Caprara (who himself is on the Pope’s right) isn’t identified but he appears to have the crosier at first, but zooming reveals that his hands are actually folded and someone to his right has it.

The Pope has his right hand in a blessing gesture.

Bottom line, though, as you said, is that we can’t look at this one painting as an example. We simply need more sources.
I suppose that the only way to answer this is to watch the next Mass where a new bishop gets ordained/installed. I remember watching the telecast of the ordination of Archbishop DiNao, that William Cardinal Leveda, the principal consecrator, processed in with the crosier. Every other bishop/cardinal did not carry in theirs. At the end of the Mass, the newly ordained Archbishop processed out with his crosier; Cardinal Leveda did not carry his out.
 
The modern Pontifical is unlcear as to who holds the/a crozier when recessing after the Ordination of a Bishop.

To begin with, neither the Pontifical nor the Ceremonial of Bishops explicitly states that the principal ordaining bishop carries the staff. It may perhaps be assumed from the general directions on vesture given in the books previously (which directions also state that when several bishops are present at a liturgical celebration, only the presiding one uses the crosier(baculus pastoralis) ).

The Pontifical does state that (a) a crosier should be prepared for the Elect (b) it is handed to the Elect with the formulary “Accipe baculum” (ICEL: “Take this staff”) (c) the newly Ordained bishop puts it aside before receiving the kiss of peace from the other bishops (d) the newly Ordained bishop holds it while processing around the church to the Te Deum, or other hymn, and blessing everyone.

That is the Pontifical. The Ceremonial of Bishops adds that the bishop who gives the final blessing (who is the main celebrant at the Eucharist) uses the staff when giving the final blessing. It does not indicate whether this staff is separate from that of the newly-ordained bishop, or the same one.

[This ambiguity - or at least, ambiguity to me - is only if the consecration takes place in a church other than the new bishop’s own church. If the new bishop is ordained in his church, he will be the main celebrant at the Eucharist and give the final blessing]

IMHO, it seems most likely that there is one crosier carried in the recessional (especially given the wording of the ceremonial on one crosier being used) and that is carried by the bishop who gave the final blessing. The reason this would seem to be true is:

(a) if the ordination took place in the bishop’s own church, then it would be fitting for the newly-ordained to carry his crosier as a mark of the jurisdiction he now possesses in his territory. The newly-ordained bishop would have been the main celebrant and imparted the final blessing. For the same reason, it would also seem reasonable that the principal ordinaing bishop does not carry his crosier

(b) the the ordination took place in another church, outside the new bishop’s diocese, then technically he does not have jurisdiction in that area. So he would not carry his crosier when processing out.
 
This ambiguity - or at least, ambiguity to me - is only if the consecration takes place in a church other than the new bishop’s own church. If the new bishop is ordained in his church, he will be the main celebrant at the Eucharist and give the final blessing
Would this imply that the Bishop-Elect started the Mass as the main celebrant? Or does the “title” of main celebrant change partway through? Or, is it not proper to think of the Liturgy of the Word to have a main celebrant?

If the Metropolitan is present, would he be the main celebrant, even if the Mass is in the suffragan bishop’s diocese?
 
Would this imply that the Bishop-Elect started the Mass as the main celebrant? Or does the “title” of main celebrant change partway through? Or, is it not proper to think of the Liturgy of the Word to have a main celebrant?

If the Metropolitan is present, would he be the main celebrant, even if the Mass is in the suffragan bishop’s diocese?
Sorry, I should have said “main celebrant of the Eucharistic liturgy”. I should have also said that the staff is handed to the newly ordained bishop instead of the Elect, since he is ordained by that point.
 
Would this imply that the Bishop-Elect started the Mass as the main celebrant? Or does the “title” of main celebrant change partway through? Or, is it not proper to think of the Liturgy of the Word to have a main celebrant?

If the Metropolitan is present, would he be the main celebrant, even if the Mass is in the suffragan bishop’s diocese?
If memory serves, when I saw another episcopal ordination on EWTN, the Apostolic Nuncio was the one entering in with the crosier and he is the one who begins the Mass. He is also the principal consecrator. After the ordination of the new bishop, the new prelate takes over. At least that is how I remembered it.
 
Every March, the bishops of Florida con-celebrate the Red Mass at the co-cathedral in Tallahassee. The Archbishop of Miami is almost always the celebrant, and therefore he carries the crozier (since he’s the Metropolitan), even though our diocesan bishop is a concelebrant.
 
In the present Latin use, normally only the senior Bishop carries the crozier.

Exception: at ordination or installation of a new Bishop, he would carry the crozier during the recessional.

Until the last 50 years or so (such as in the painting of Napoleon), this was not the case.
 
The Pontifical does state that (a) a crosier should be prepared for the Elect (b) it is handed to the Elect with the formulary “Accipe baculum” (ICEL: “Take this staff”)
Argh, this is not my day…

I quoted from the wrong book. The newer ICEL translation says “Receive the crosier”
 
Would this imply that the Bishop-Elect started the Mass as the main celebrant? Or does the “title” of main celebrant change partway through? Or, is it not proper to think of the Liturgy of the Word to have a main celebrant?

If the Metropolitan is present, would he be the main celebrant, even if the Mass is in the suffragan bishop’s diocese?
Spirithound:
Well, if you are interested in learning the answer first hand there will be an opportunity in London probably in early January. Father William McGrattan, the current rector of St. Peter’s Seminary was named just last week by Pope Benedict as a new auxilliary bishop for the Archdiocese of Toronto. His episcopal ordination will take place in St. Peter’s Cathedral Basilica. Father McGrattan is a native Londoner and was ordained for this diocese. Keep an eye on the homepage of the Cathedral or in your parish bulletin for the exact date.
 
Spirithound:
Well, if you are interested in learning the answer first hand there will be an opportunity in London probably in early January. Father William McGrattan, the current rector of St. Peter’s Seminary was named just last week by Pope Benedict as a new auxilliary bishop for the Archdiocese of Toronto. His episcopal ordination will take place in St. Peter’s Cathedral Basilica. Father McGrattan is a native Londoner and was ordained for this diocese. Keep an eye on the homepage of the Cathedral or in your parish bulletin for the exact date.
I was just thinking this 😉 Thanks for the heads-up! 👍
 
When multiple bishops are concelebrating a Mass or Vespers for some other liturgical event, and they are vested in sacred vestments (as opposed to being in choir), who carries a crossier? Is it the main celebrant/presider or can they all carry it?
Good evening all!
I have just returned from Bishop McGrattan’s episcopal ordination, and here is the run-down:

The Mass took place in St. Peter’s Cathedral Basilica, London, Ontario, Canada.
Bishop Fabbro, Ordinary of the Diocese of London presided, and was Principal Consecrator. He entered and exited carrying his crozier.
Bishop McGrattan was presented with his own crozier and exited carrying it.
Principal Co-Consecrators were Bishop Sherlock, Bishop Emeritus of London, and Bishop Chatlain, Ordinary of Mackenzie-Fort Smith. Neither carried croziers.
Archbishop Collins, Ordinary of the Archdiocese of Toronto and Metropolitan of the ecclesiastical province which includes the Diocese of London was in attendance and wore the pallium. He did not carry a crozier.
33 bishops walked in, 34 walked out.

In these photos we again see a gathering of bishops for ordinations, this time for La Famille Marie-Jeunesse, and several men to the priesthood. I believe this Mass was at the Eucharistic Congress in Quebec City. Notice again there is one crozier, and the main celebrant was Cardinal Tomko, who is not the Ordinary of Quebec City (he is a Vatican official). He is later shown holding the crozier. Cardinal Ouellet, the Ordinary of Quebec City is concelebrating.

Finally, I recently attended Mass in the Diocese of St. Catharines celebrated by Bishop Colli, Ordinary of Thunder Bay. He did not carry a crozier.

So…it is not necessarily that the celebrant will carry a crozier, perhaps only if he is the Ordinary of the Diocese. Further, the Ordinary suffragan Bishop of a Diocese can take precedence over his Metropolitan Archbishop if he, the suffragan is the main celebrant. Finally, Cardinals might have a privilege to use a crozier in any diocese.
 
Good evening all!
I have just returned from Bishop McGrattan’s episcopal ordination, and here is the run-down:

The Mass took place in St. Peter’s Cathedral Basilica, London, Ontario, Canada.
Bishop Fabbro, Ordinary of the Diocese of London presided, and was Principal Consecrator. He entered and exited carrying his crozier.
Bishop McGrattan was presented with his own crozier and exited carrying it.
Principal Co-Consecrators were Bishop Sherlock, Bishop Emeritus of London, and Bishop Chatlain, Ordinary of Mackenzie-Fort Smith. Neither carried croziers.
Archbishop Collins, Ordinary of the Archdiocese of Toronto and Metropolitan of the ecclesiastical province which includes the Diocese of London was in attendance and wore the pallium. He did not carry a crozier.
33 bishops walked in, 34 walked out.

.
It really was a beautiful ceremony, wasn’t it? I was impressed by the number of diocesan priests who were in attendance. My pastor had told me that Bishop McGrattan was very well liked and respected and considered to be a “priest’s priest”. It was evident by the large turnout that he is going to be missed in his home diocese.
 
\This is probably the Pope’s crosier.\

**When becoming Bishop of Rome, bishops from other sees would lay aside use of the crozier. The Popes as Bishops of Rome never used one.

Paul VI was the first (as far as I know) to adopt a pastoral staff tipped with a Crucifix to emphaize his ministry as chief pastor of the church. But notice it did not take the shape of the usual baculum.

I do believe that pre-Vatican 2 use called for all bishops, when vested, to use their croziers. Temporary Cathedras with canopies would even be erected for them.

Modern Western use, where only the senior bishop uses the Crozier and Cathedra, makes more sense.

FWIW, in Greek Byzantine uses (which the Arabs also follow) only the senior bishop wears the crown-shaped mitre and uses the crozier. Other celebrating bishops wear the klobuk (veiled headdress) and do not use their croziers. The Slavic use in this case is different; all those entitled to the use of a mitre (including certain archpriests) wear them. **
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top