Y
yoopersenior
Guest
Isn’t it proper to make the sign of the cross whenever a processional cross is passing by?
Is it true inside of church?
Is it true inside of church?
My parish puts our processional cross in a closet too; but I believe our normal one is broken. And if your parish uses a different cross for procession than the one on the altar it is supposed to be put away.If the procession into church were a sentence, then the cross is the subject.
I attended a local parish where, oddly, a closet had been built behind and slightly to the left of the altar where Mass is celebrated.
Well…the procession into church was OK but the little guy carrying the cross marched right up and put the cross IN THE CLOSET. This was the protocol for procession in and out of church.
If I were a priest, the processional cross would be installed directly in front of the altar, and I’d stand there in front of it, for all 17 verses of the entrance hymn. Obviously, I don’t have a utilitarian view of music, just to get the priest from point A to point B. The entrance hymn should be the rousing hymn of praise and the focus should be on the cross, at least for that time, IMHO.
Interesting! Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Our altar server just puts it off to the side, by the piano–out of the congregation’s direct line of sight, I guess, though anyone who was staring off to the side would see it.My parish puts our processional cross in a closet too; but I believe our normal one is broken. And if your parish uses a different cross for procession than the one on the altar it is supposed to be put away.
“If there is already a cross in the sanctuary, the processional cross is placed out of view of the congregation following the procession.” (GIRM 115)