When writing "Muhammed", religious education students in UK must now include “pbuh”

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilliam

True??

Religious Education students in Britain must now include the letters “pbuh” (“peace be upon him”) in parentheses every time they write the name of Mohammed, according to teacher David Holford.

Religious Education in most schools in the UK is about comparative religion. There are six statutory religions in teaching RE. The law says that Christianity has to be the dominant religion taught in RE. Schools then choose amongst Islam, Judaism, Sikhism, Hinduism, and Buddhism to fill out the rest of the curriculum. My school does the first three. These four religions are taught in years 7, 8, 9 (the same ages as 6th-8th grade in the US).

At GCSE* we do one of the Christianity papers and one of the Islam papers (with corresponding essay coursework). Now I don’t have a problem teaching comparative religion generally. I think it is a good thing for both children and adults to know about other religions and understand the cultures around them.

The potential problem has arisen in teaching about Muhammad. The exam board requires that every time Muhammad is written, the letters “pbuh” in parentheses be placed after it. This is shorthand for “peace be upon him”. The writer therefore prays a blessing upon him everytime his name is written, as is the custom of Muslims. So I have to tell my students (over and over if there is any hope of them remembering) that they must bless Muhammad every time they mention his name.

For most, if not all, of my students, this will be no problem. Few, if any, have any religious convictions whatsoever. It’s not so bad that I have to tell them to do something that I would find reprehensible. However, I am expected to model what they should do to reinforce their learning. I will never pray a blessing upon Muhammad. To do so would be to repudiate my faith. It would imply I believe the Shahada (the Muslim declaration of faith) even if those hearing or reading it were unable to infer this. I do not wear my faith on my sleeve when I teach RE. When students ask me if I believe in God, I tell them. If they ask if I am a Christian, I tell them. If they ask which variety of Christian I am, I tell them. I never do more than honestly answer their questions. And I would never insist that non-Christian (Muslim or otherwise) students make the sign of the Cross at every mention of the Holy Trinity, even though that is part of the tradition of my religion.

UPDATE at 2/14/05 9:33:06 am:

This Specimen Paper from 2003 at the exam board’s web site (PDF file) actually uses Arabic script for the blessing: http://homepage.mac.com/cfj/.Pictures/UKIslamTest.gif

Whatever. I’d rather shave my head with a cheese grater than give him that honor.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
Whatever. I’d rather shave my head with a cheese grater than give him that honor.
Careful Scott, those of us on these baords that cut our hair with a cheese grater may take offense. BTW, I agree.

Well it sounds ‘irk-some’ but I don’t think it’ll be a big problem. We’re asked to pray and wish well for everyone anyway regardless of who they are. So see the ‘pbuh’ as simply another way of praying, ‘Rest in Peace, may God have mercy on him’ as we would, or rather, should, for anyone.

40.png
jdnation:
Well it sounds ‘irk-some’ but I don’t think it’ll be a big problem. We’re asked to pray and wish well for everyone anyway regardless of who they are. So see the ‘pbuh’ as simply another way of praying, ‘Rest in Peace, may God have mercy on him’ as we would, or rather, should, for anyone.
I’d rather say something that is more accurate to the situation, that being “May God have mercy on his soul.”

I think it’s a nice thing to say about him. It is also respectful of someone elses religion and beliefs. When I discuss the prophet with my muslim friends, I always say ‘peace be upon him’. It shows them I understand and respect their culture, and makes what I have to say easier to listen too.

40.png
FightingFat:
I think it’s a nice thing to say about him. It is also respectful of someone elses religion and beliefs. When I discuss the prophet with my muslim friends, I always say ‘peace be upon him’. It shows them I understand and respect their culture, and makes what I have to say easier to listen too.
Do you have read the dossier about National Authority of Palestine and his religous books, the critics to christians and missioneries, we need respect for everybody and everywhere, but now there are a huge falseness.

40.png
Franze:
Do you have read the dossier about National Authority of Palestine and his religous books, the critics to christians and missioneries, we need respect for everybody and everywhere, but now there are a huge falseness.
Sorry Madrid…Your signal is a little weak tonight…We are not receiving you- over!

😛

Can you explain a little more Franze?

Gilliam,

I have asked around on one of the discussion board I am on, here in the UK and no one has ever heard of this instruction to students. I would treat the report with scepticism. It was a bit short on details like, which examination board and in what context was Mohammed being discussed.

Brian S.

No problem, I will wish “Peace Be Upon Him” when Muslims write “King of Kings, Lord of Lords, One in Being with the Father” after Jesus’ name.

40.png
Truthwarrior:
Gilliam,

I have asked around on one of the discussion board I am on, here in the UK and no one has ever heard of this instruction to students. I would treat the report with scepticism. It was a bit short on details like, which examination board and in what context was Mohammed being discussed.

Brian S.
Thanks, Brian,

It comes from:

**Oxford Cambridge and RSA Examinations

General Certificate of Secondary Education

RELIGIOUS STUDIES A (WORLD RELIGIONS) (SHORT COURSE) 2396/1

**PAPER 6 – Islam

MARK SCHEME

**Specimen Paper 2003

ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/Data/Publication/Specimen%20Assessment%20Materials/cquartetOCRTempFile0Je8a2ltcX.pdf

The Oxford Cambridge and RSA Examinations board is here:

ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/docroot/index.jsp

I am afraid that it would probably not be possible, and might even be a criminal offense, to append to Jesus name the words “Lord” or “God” in a public school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back