S
Sister_Helena
Guest
Prayer is the lifeblood of our soul. People pray when prayer is productive and yields satisfaction of insights and good feelings. But what happens when the well runs dry? Do you have this experience?
Ah the desert experience…I think it is when our prayer is dry that it is most pleasing to God. It’s easy to pray amidst consolations, but it takes perseverance to continue praying when there is seemingly no “reward” in it. When we continue to pray through the dryness, we show that we truly love God. If we give up the prayer when we lose the consolations, then we have a self-interested love that seeks rewards. True love suffers for another.Prayer is the lifeblood of our soul. People pray when prayer is productive and yields satisfaction of insights and good feelings. But what happens when the well runs dry? Do you have this experience?
I am sure all who pray must have experienced dryness at certain point. When our prayers seem to be stale, keep on praying anyway. Just do it. Most likely the dryness will pass if we continue to seek the Lord. This is by God’s grace, of course.Prayer is the lifeblood of our soul. People pray when prayer is productive and yields satisfaction of insights and good feelings. But what happens when the well runs dry? Do you have this experience?
AWESOME “DC”! This is greatly helpful! God bless!The marriage relationship has been used to describe this dryness. In the beginning there is unquenchable fire as the couple spends all there time together. Nothing can interfere. As time rolls on, the relationship changes. The strong marriages are those in which the couple continues to spend time with one another regardless of feeling. Communication grows and love deepens. Passion is replaced with a quiet confidence in the other.
Since God never changes, it is we who change, and change is seldom easy. At what point do we recognize that God is with us even as we scrub pots and pans, or sweep the cobwebs out of the corner?
An earlier post mentioned the desert experience. It is the desert that God can speak to very depths of our hearts. It is in the desert that we acknowledge our total dependence on God.
That is a beautiful prayer, Little Dove!When I can’t pray, I place (or sometimes in those moments the word may be plunk) myself before Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, and I just look at Him and sigh…just making the effort to be there, especially when I feel nothing, makes Him happy, I think.
God Bless!
To Jesus, through Mary
Very often we look at prayer as those formulas that we recite. Prayer is much more than that. It is about relationship. It is conversation. Sometimes we are called simply to listen. That in itself can be difficult. Since we are also called to love God not only with our mind, but also with all our heart and strength, our daily routine can itself become prayer. This daily routine can indeed seem mundane. It is one of the reason I so much liked my mother’s kitchen prayer. It began with “Oh Lord, of pots and pans and things, make my grumbling cease…”
There was a time when I was so angry at God, I told him to “leave me alone,” something that I will never do again. I guess what I am getting at is the importance of being honest with God. "God, I don’t really feel like spending time with you right now, but here I am. Things are not going the way I would like them, but here I am. Even though I may not feel your loving presence at this time, here I am. Help me during this period of trial and darkness, for here I am. Like Samuel, I say “Here I am Lord. Speak, for your servant is listening. Tell me what you would have me do and help me do it I trust in you, without whom I am nothing with no place to go. ‘You have the words of eternal life.’.”

How can we continue on a journey unless we eat? Sometimes we need more energy (food) than at other times. By going to Mass, you allow yourself to be fed through both the Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of Eucharist.Sometimes I feel spiritually dry, like I have nothing to say to Him… I simply can’t pray.
Then I find time to go to Mass. I usually don’t go to Mass every day, but in times like that I simply make it a priority. Then it’s somehow easier to go through that period.
I pray while I walk. It is while I walk that I allow the Holy Spirit to sing through me.When you can’t pray,
-do you easily get discouraged and give up?
- do you make use of prayer tools like soft, relaxing music, spiritual books or devotional statues and icons?
- do you take a walk and admire nature?
- do you continue praying in quiet and let God lead you?
How do you deal with the dryness and aridity?
Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity wrote “let yourself be loved.” I thought that is a beautiful way of expressing that even dryness and abandonement are God’s way of loving and that we should learn to embrace them.II tend to be independent (another word for loneliness). Sometimes in the midst of our aridity,we need to allow others to love and care for us. When we do that, are we not allowing God to act through the person who prepared the meal, gave the ride, or otherwise provided for our needs?