When you were growing up did you wish for...?

  • Thread starter Thread starter flyingfish
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wanted more more siblings, even though two of my siblings really struggled in their teen years–very painful for the family. I loved watching movies with big families. I loved reading books about big families.
 
I was one of three. Always wanted a little brother. Given my mom’s age and fertility, I probably would’ve had one if she had followed the Church’s teachings.
 
Now isn’t that a trait of being the eldest - being responsible for your younger siblings. it goes with the territiory of you being the eldest. After all, in a big family, raising everyone takes a team effort and as the older children become , well, older, they take on more and more of the responsibility of helping with the youngest children. Part of it is also a natural protectiveness which comes with the position, but I suspect a lot of it is because you are asked to help and also because your parents are role modelling for you at the same time.
I wouldn’t have changed places with anyone for anything. 👍
True ~ I am the total eldest child…but I love it! I once asked my mom if it was hard having so many children, and she replied " It was harder having just three little ones. Why do you think I had more?" 😃 As for protectiveness, I had a tom-boy of a sister who filled that role…all of the boys in her third grade class were scared stiff of her! 😃
 
I was one of 4 kids. We fought a lot, but had tons of fun, too. I liked being one of the largest families around. I did HATE sharing a room with my little sister, though. I was surrounded by friends with their own rooms, and felt entitled. Oh well. I got over it. 🙂
 
I was an only child except for a brief interlude of having a stepbrother for a handful of years. We didn’t really get along, butted heads from the beginning and I had to develop kind of a “What’s mine is mine and what’s yours I’ll give you half of” relationship with him. I liked being an only child. I remember going over to friends houses and seeing all their younger siblings running around screaming and their older ones pushing them around and wondered; “How can you stand this, its madness!”
 
I was an only child except for a brief interlude of having a stepbrother for a handful of years. We didn’t really get along, butted heads from the beginning and I had to develop kind of a “What’s mine is mine and what’s yours I’ll give you half of” relationship with him. I liked being an only child. I remember going over to friends houses and seeing all their younger siblings running around screaming and their older ones pushing them around and wondered; “How can you stand this, its madness!”
Ah, but the madness is more fun as one grows up! Family holidays and get-togethers are priceless, although still very much madness…😃 We have learned to participate in several conversations at one time over the dinner table!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top