Where does the prayer Holy Mary come from?

  • Thread starter Thread starter joclucsylv
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joclucsylv

Guest
I know the Hail Mary comes from Luke1:28. Where does the Holy Mary part come from?
 
Here is a great article about the Hail Mary prayer:

newadvent.org/cathen/07110b.htm

From Wikipedia:

The petition was commonly added around the time of the Council of Trent. The Dutch Jesuit St.Petrus Canisius is credited with adding in 1555 in his Catechism the sentence:
Code:
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners
I hope this helps!
 
Holy Mary Mother of God, would come from the Visitation to Elizabeth, I believe. And how does this happen to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

Pray for us sinners now
, would probably come from James chapter 5, The fervent prayer of a righteous person is very powerful.

… and at the hour of our death. Amen, would come from 2nd Maccabees, chapter 12, where Judas Maccabeus and his friends offer up prayers for the souls of the dead. Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from this sin.
 
I know this will make me more unpopular than I already am, but people need to start using the existing resources rather than cluttering up this website.

For a very good discussion of this question read “What would you like to know about the Church?’” in the April, 1979 issue of Catholic Digest. Four pages are devoted to answering this question.

I have repeatedly found wonderful discussions of many questions posed on this website in old copies of Catholic Digest. And it’s not as though once explained never revisited. The magazine comes back to old questions time and again so that readers have the latest reflections on problems and issues.

Go to the library and look in the Periodical Index for information. Ask the librarian for help finding and using this valuable resource. Or don’t people use libraries anymore?

Reb Levi
 
I know this will make me more unpopular than I already am, but people need to start using the existing resources rather than cluttering up this website.

For a very good discussion of this question read “What would you like to know about the Church?’” in the April, 1979 issue of Catholic Digest. Four pages are devoted to answering this question.

I have repeatedly found wonderful discussions of many questions posed on this website in old copies of Catholic Digest. And it’s not as though once explained never revisited. The magazine comes back to old questions time and again so that readers have the latest reflections on problems and issues.

Go to the library and look in the Periodical Index for information. Ask the librarian for help finding and using this valuable resource. Or don’t people use libraries anymore?

Reb Levi
Libraries? I’ve heard of them…

I don’t see any reason against “cluttering up this web-site” with repeated questions. Library books don’t argue with you and point out fallacies in your arguments. Its hard to ask a library book an extra question.

In other words, Libraries have their purposes, but so do Forums! 😉
 
I would add that Scripture refers to God’s saints as something like “holy ones” numerous times (eg. Rev. 22:11; 14:10; 2 Pet 3:2; 1 Pet 1:16; Rom 11:16; Ps 89:5-7; Zec 14:5; Wis 3:9, etc…). Not sure if that’s specifically the root for using the term Holy Mary, but it’s enough to justify it as sound theology. :o
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top