Where is Catholicism in the Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Allan1972
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started reading the Douay-Rheims Bible, and the only difference I see so far is that it has a few more books than the KJV, but they made the mistake of calling the Holy Spirit a she in one of the other additional readings.
The DRV is very similar to the KJV. they were written within a few years of eachother. The DRV was written a few years prior to the KJV. The original KJV had the same “few more books” , these books were removed from the KJV years after the original KJV was written. If you find an original KJV it will include the “few more books”.
 
I just started reading the Douay-Rheims Bible, and the only difference I see so far is that it has a few more books than the KJV, but they made the mistake of calling the Holy Spirit a she in one of the other additional readings.
The Holy Spirit isn’t a She. It’s not even in my DRB Bible… :eek:
 
The Holy Spirit is not a “she”.
Wisdom is a “she” but Wisdom is not the Holy Spirit. (The Greek for wisdom is “Sophia”), and a very famous church in Turkey (one of the earliest Christian countries, cf. Ilyria) is called “Hagia Sophia”, “Holy Wisdom”. The term “Holy Spirit” comes from the Latin “spiritus sanctus”, also used is “Holy Ghost” which comes from the German “Geist”.
 
I just saw something that says that Mary is Queen of davidic knigdom. the same website is trying to say that mary lived in the times of Genesis…
That is correct. Jesus is the King in the fulfillment of the Davidic Kingdom. In the Davidic Kingdom, the mother of the King was entitle the “Queen Mother,” because they typically had multiple wives.

And nobody is claiming Mary lived in the times of Genesis. You might be referring to Gen 3, however, when God reveals a prophecy of Jesus and Mary.

And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring a] and hers;
he will crush **(“http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=gen 3&version=31#fen-NIV-71b”)] your head,
and you will strike his heel."

Catholics argue that since the seed of “the woman” is Jesus, this is a prophecy of the virgin birth. Since the “seed” is typically from the man. A reference to “the woman” providing the seed could only be referring to the virgin birth. This is important also, because Christ identifies Mary as “the woman” at the Wedding Feast at Cana (Jn 2), His crucifixion (Jn 19), and via John in the Book of Revelation (Rev 12).

Finally, since Jesus possessed perfect enmity from Satan, this passage in Genesis shows that Mary must also. For “the woman” and “her offspring” both shared the same enmity from the serpent and his offspring.
Also, I’m sorry, but Mary is not the Mother of God. Jesus was the mother of Jesus. because if you say mother of God it sounds like you are talking about the Father. she was not the mother of the Father.
Allan, what in the world are you talking about? Jesus was Jesus’ “mother?” Have you ever read, “But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me” (Lk 1:43)? Who is Elizabeth’s Lord? Jesus! Who does Elizabeth say Jesus’ mother is? Mary!

Furthemore, doubting Thomas said, “My Lord and My God,” (Jn 20:28) in response to the appearance of Jesus in His resurrected body. Again, Thomas notes Christ’s divinity by announcing, “My Lord and My God!” Thus, the Scripture has revealed Mary as the Mother of God. She is the mother of the second person of the Trinity, Jesus. Jesus is God. Therefore, Mary is the Mother of God. She is not the mother of the Father. Don’t be confused.
 
I just saw something that says that Mary is Queen of davidic knigdom. the same website is trying to say that mary lived in the times of Genesis.
What web-site?

To be honest, I’ve NEVER, NEVER heard of Mary living in the time of Genesis!

Yes, I’ve heard and known about the “idea” of Mary being Queen. However I’ve NEVER, NEVER heard the reasoning being because she was alive in the times of Genesis.

May I suggest this web-site: salvationhistory.com//online/intermediate/intermedcourse2_home.cfm

Or this “Is Mary’s Queenship Biblical?

Honestly there are lots of web-sites that clam to be “Catholic” or teach “Catholicism” however they are NOT Catholic and they DO NOT teach Catholicism. That’s the problem with the Internet many people can say many things, however one has to be able to know where to find the truth.

That’s why personally if I want to learn about someone’s faith I stick to web-pages that say things like “official” web-page. If I can’t find an “official” web-page then I go to web-pages that I know are truly reliable. If I don’t know what would be truly reliable then I ask someone of that faith to help me.

The following web-pages have been reliable sites to learn about Catholicism:

www.catholic.com
www.vatican.va
www.ewtn.com
www.salvationhistory.com
www.usccb.org
www.jimmyakin.org/
www.amm.org/chss/chss.htm
Just to name of few. God Bless.
 
What web-site?

To be honest, I’ve NEVER, NEVER heard of Mary living in the time of Genesis!

Yes, I’ve heard and known about the “idea” of Mary being Queen. However I’ve NEVER, NEVER heard the reasoning being because she was alive in the times of Genesis.

May I suggest this web-site: salvationhistory.com//online/intermediate/intermedcourse2_home.cfm

Or this “Is Mary’s Queenship Biblical?

Honestly there are lots of web-sites that clam to be “Catholic” or teach “Catholicism” however they are NOT Catholic and they DO NOT teach Catholicism. That’s the problem with the Internet many people can say many things, however one has to be able to know where to find the truth.

That’s why personally if I want to learn about someone’s faith I stick to web-pages that say things like “official” web-page. If I can’t find an “official” web-page then I go to web-pages that I know are truly reliable. If I don’t know what would be truly reliable then I ask someone of that faith to help me.

The following web-pages have been reliable sites to learn about Catholicism:

www.catholic.com
www.vatican.va
www.ewtn.com
www.salvationhistory.com
www.usccb.org
www.jimmyakin.org/
www.amm.org/chss/chss.htm

Just to name of few. God Bless.
No problem… We are here to defend our faith and inform Non-Catholics what we really believed in accordance with the teachings of the CC.
 
Allan1972;1817225]I got preoccupied with another site for a while.
do catholics still have priests? If they do, I don’t see why they do. In the new testament, jesus was called the high priest, and that’s all I know about.
As someone has already said James 5:14 uses in the Greek presbyteros. Presbyteros and priest are synonyms (meaning they are different words that mean the same thing, so the Bible does have the word priest in it). However, it’s very bad theology to use the argument that the “word” has to be in the Bible and if it isn’t then it’s not part of Christian truth. If that were so, there would be a lot of Scriptural words not found in the Bible, but yet are concepts that all Christians agree (well most save original sin) on even though these words aren’t found in the Bible, e.g., Trinity, original sin, incarnation, hypostatic union and other terms you may be familiar with like Sunday School and altar call. Perhaps, what you could look for in Scripture is if the concept of the particular term is found there and that would make that particular concept Scriptural even though the word itself isn’t.
 
Mannyfit75
Senior Member

you just said something about asking mary to pray for you. Mary is dead. did you know that. there is a place in the bible, where saul or somebody went to somebody to call a person from the dead. I I haven’t found yet, but I remember reading one time. that’s what that sounds like. how can you ask a dead person something?
 
Mannyfit75
Senior Member

you just said something about asking mary to pray for you. Mary is dead. did you know that. there is a place in the bible, where saul or somebody went to somebody to call a person from the dead. I I haven’t found yet, but I remember reading one time. that’s what that sounds like. how can you ask a dead person something?
Mary was assumed body and soul into heaven. She is the woman in Revelation 12, clothed with the sun.

Saints are not dead. Those who died in Christ are alive in Christ.

Heb. 12:1 - we are surrounded by a great glory cloud (shekinah) of witnesses, our family in heaven. We are not separated. The “cloud of witnesses” (nephos marturon) refers to a great amphitheatre with the arena for the runners (us on earth), and many tiers of seats occupied by the saints (in heaven) rising up like a cloud. The “martures” are not mere spectators (“theatai”), but testifiers (witnesses) who testify from their own experience to God’s promises and cheer us on in our race to heaven. They are no less than our family in heaven.

Rev. 1:4 – this verse shows that angels (here, the seven spirits) give grace and peace. Because grace and peace only come from God, the angels are acting as mediators for God.

Rev. 5:8 - the prayers of the saints (on heaven and earth) are presented to God by the angels and saints in heaven. This shows that the saints intercede on our behalf before God, and it also demonstrates that our prayers on earth are united with their prayers in heaven. (The “24 elders” are said to refer to the people of God – perhaps the 12 tribes and 12 apostles - and the “four living creatures” are said to refer to the angels.)

Rev. 6:9-11 – the martyred saints in heaven cry out in a loud voice to God to avenge their blood “on those who dwell upon the earth.” These are “imprecatory prayers,” which are pleas for God’s judgment (see similar prayers in Psalm 35:1; 59:1-17; 139:19; Jer. 11:20; 15:15; 18:19; Zech.1:12-13). This means that the saints in heaven are praying for those on earth, and God answers their prayers (Rev. 8:1-5). We, therefore, ask for their intercession and protection.

Rev. 8:3-4 – in heaven an angel mingles incense with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar before the throne of God, and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God. These prayers “rise up” before God and elicit various kinds of earthly activity. God responds to his children’s requests, whether made by his children on earth or in heaven.

The saints who died in Christ may not have body, they are alive in Christ more than we are. God is God of the Living, not the Dead. Saints can hear you.

Rev. 12:1 - we see Mary, the “woman,” clothed with the sun. While in Rev. 6:9 we only see the souls of the martyrs in heaven, in Rev. 12:1 we see Mary, both body and soul.
 
what do you mean by holy mother church?
I heard someone say that catholics they don’t worhip mary, but I wen to one website where they had prayers to mary which is pretty much the same thing.
Better check the meaning of prayer there my friend. Prayer is making a request of someone. Do you ever ask friends to pray for you? Would you turn someone down if they offered to remember you in their prayers?

You have a bad understanding of what we call, “The Communion of Saints”. That link will take you to a FREE MP3 Bible study that will give you the Biblical reasons to believe this. The Bible notes are here.
do catholics still have priests? If they do, I don’t see why they do. In the new testament, jesus was called the high priest, and that’s all I know about.
Yep, but weren’t there many priests subordinate to the High Priest? Our priests by no means replace Christ, but if you look at John 20:21: Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.”
22: And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.
23: If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.” You’ll begin to get some idea of why it’s important.
Someone tell me what they think is better than the KJV.
I refer to KJV because it is the most accurate english version.
Not true at all.

As an example I direct your attention to Matthew 6:13 KJV is about the only translation that errors in including “For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.” to that verse. Look at this comparison.

Why is it a big deal? Because the orignal text does not have that passage in it.

Where did it come from, and why is it that non-Catholics say that as part of the Lord’s Prayer and we Catholics do not, yet include it in our liturgy as a seperate doxology?

That’s because the passage is actually a doxology that is only found in a non-canonical bona fide early Christian teaching document called The Didache. Most scholars believe that this is a copyist error that has never been corrected in revisions of the KJV. (Oh and what you call the KJV has indeed had some significant revisions. Have a look at this online copy of the actual 1611 edition of the King James Version Bible. Note how many books it has. (Look at the bottom part of the list, where it says, “Although the writings known as the Apocrypha are often not included in Protestant Bibles, they were translated and included in the original King James Bible of 1611, and they are offered here for use by interested readers.”)

This is just one place where it fails to be accurate. The absence of 7 whole books is one of the most serious errors. 5 Myths About 7 Books
as far as religion is concerned, I’m a christian.
Good.
someone asked why something has to be in the bible to be good doctrine. I think its pretty easy to understand that Jesus is the Word. And if its not in his word, its not true.
:hmmm: Except that that is not taught in the Bible itself. Check out this MP3 Bible study. The notes are here.

You have made several statements that though you believe them are actually errors in the teaching that you have been subjected to. Hopefully you will approach all future discussions with an open mind and heart and a willingness to “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” and follow the Holy Spirit’s guidance to the truth no matter where it leads.
some of you keep asking about things like trinity and other words I haven’t even mentioned.
Don’t sweat it too much. You’ll see where most all of that fits together at some point along the way. Just remember that when it comes to the facts of the Catholic faith here at CAF, the members like me are just like a K-Mart radio…We don’t play. 👍 😃
Pax tecum,
 
Mannyfit75
Senior Member

you just said something about asking mary to pray for you. Mary is dead. did you know that. there is a place in the bible, where saul or somebody went to somebody to call a person from the dead. I I haven’t found yet, but I remember reading one time. that’s what that sounds like. how can you ask a dead person something?
Allan,

If bodily death separates us, then Christianity as a whole doesn’t make much sense.

What are you getting at here? The Assumption? The Communion of Saints? Purgatory?
 
Mannyfit75
Senior Member

you just said something about asking mary to pray for you. Mary is dead.
Allan, I want you to consider a few verses.

Intercessory Prayer of Saints
Rom 15:30 - join me by your prayers to God on my behalf
Col 4:3, 1Thess 5:25 - pray for us
2Thess 1:11 - we always pray for you
2Thess 3:1 - finally, brothers, pray for us
Eph 6:18-19 - making supplication for all the saints & for me
Tob 12:12 - angel presents Tobit & Sarah’s prayer to God
Ps 148 - David calls upon angels
Zech 1:12 - angel intercedes for Jerusalem
Mk 12:25, Mt 22:30 - men in heaven are as the angels
Rev 5:8 - those in heaven offer prayers of the holy ones to God
Mk 12:26-27 - he is God of the living, not of the dead
Mk 9:4 - Jesus seen conversing with Elijah & Moses
Lk 9:31 - Elijah & Moses aware of earthly events
Rev 6:9-11 - martyrs under altar want earthly vindication
Heb 12:1 - we are surrounded by a cloud of witnesses
Lk 16:19-30 - departed rich man intercedes for brothers
Rev 20:4 - saw the souls of those who had been beheaded
Wis 3:1-6 - the souls of the just are in the hand of God
2Macc 15:7-16 - the departed Onias & Jeremiah pray for the Jews
Jas 5:16 prayers of righteous man
1 Cor. 13:12 - I shall understand fully
1 John 4: 20-21 - whoever loves God must love his brother
1 Cor 12:21 - parts of Christ’s Body cannot say to other parts, “I do not need you”.

source: geocities.com/thecatholic…heatsheet.html

Now, during the Transfiguration Jesus wasn’t summoning demons or evil spirits to tell the future and thereby sinning, was he? Of course not. He is showing the unity of the Body of Christ that extends beyond earth and into heaven.

God allows the saints in heaven to intercede for us just like you can intercede for me in order to build up familial love.

Notice that Moses & Elijah were aware of **future **earthly events in Lk 9:31. This seems to confirm that God allows them to have knowledge that surpasses the bounds of us puny mortals on earth.

Any friend of God is a friend of mine.🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top