Where is the best Novus Ordo Mass in Philly area?

• Thread starter Thread starter Louis_IX
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Louis_IX

Can someone recommend a good, reverent, stick to the rubrics, good homily priest, Gloria sung in Latin, greogorian chant Mass in the Philadelphia area ?

My 72 year old father lives in Broomall (western suburbs) and is finally fed up with his life long main line Methodist Church and has begun to search the yellow pages
for other churches to go to. He likes “liturgy”.

He does not like the Evangelical types of churches. The local Catholic church there does not fit the niche I am looking for.

Thanks (from Seattle WA)

Dear Louis IX,

I am sure there are other options (I hope there are, anyway) but the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in Philadelphia have good Masses. However, a person has to be pretty “hard core” Catholic to want to attend Mass at a place like that and since your father is not even Catholic, it might not be the best place. Anyhow, their address is: 66th Ave & Old York Road. There is a website you can check into as well, although it is not produced by the Nuns:

home.att.net/~chorus/

Based on some Googling, your best bets would be

Our Lady of Consolation in Tacony 2:00 PM on Sunday or

St. Francis of Assisi, Norristown, 1:15 PM every Sunday

About a year ago I attended a Latin Mass at the Cathedral. I happened to be in the city and that was the last scheduled Mass. I don’t know if they do that regularly, or if it was a special event.

Paul W:
Our Lady of Consolation in Tacony 2:00 PM on Sunday or

St. Francis of Assisi, Norristown, 1:15 PM every Sunday
These two are traditional Latin Masses. The former is always (or every time I go, at least) a Low Mass. The latter is sometimes a High Mass and includes Gregorian Chant etc.
About a year ago I attended a Latin Mass at the Cathedral. I happened to be in the city and that was the last scheduled Mass. I don’t know if they do that regularly, or if it was a special event.
I think there is a regularly scheduled Novus Ordo in Latin at the Cathedral, but I don’t know what the musical accompaniment (if any) is like. I’ve never been. Like Br. Dan, I would recommend the Carmelite monastery and the Mass at St. Francis of Assisi, or, alternately, one might make the long drive out to Mater Ecclesiae Mission in Berlin, NJ (Diocese of Camden). Fr. Pasley, the mission’s rector, is a real gem among priests.

The Mass at St. Francis is very nice - just had a high Mass today. I understand the Cathedral does one 2x a month. It is on the Archdiocese website I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back