Where to begin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Randy_Carson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hesitate to answer this question because I can envision the passion and displeasure this will arouse, but I would point to the “Cult of Mary” for one. I know I have heard the arguments many times that Catholics do not worship Mary, but when I read books such a St. Alphonsus de Liguori’s book “The Glories of Mary” and look at the language used by Legion of Mary publications, I cannot help but cringe. Whenever something that is the sole domain of Christ is applied to another, I immediately recognize it as idolatry.
Or you do not recognize it properly. Question:

Is St. Alphonsus de Liguori authorized to teach formally on behalf of the Catholic Church?

Or is he only expressing his own personal devotion in flowery language that is probably unfamiliar to modern ears?
 
Good grief, Tom. You’re killing me here. I am beginning to think you’re just making arguments for argument’s sake.

If I forget my reading glasses when I go to my favorite restaurant with my wife and have to ask her to read the menu for me, she does not need to be infallible for me to get what I want for dinner (i.e. to properly interpret the menu). Now, if I bring my glasses with me to dinner, and while looking at the menu she says the trout costs $15, she does not need to be infallible either. If the trout actually costs $13, on the other hand, then I can read the menu myself and realize she has made a mistake. Likewise, if my pastor’s interpretation is incorrect, then I will look in the Bible and see it for myself. No infallibility required, just some common sense.
Does your wife have to interpret the menu for you? Or simply read what it says?

However, if there are instructions about how to order your food, in what order you need to do things, where to sit, when to pay, etc…well, she might interpret those instructions one way while you interpret them another.

Anyone who has ever travelled in a car with a spouse understands how different interpretations of driving instructions and maps can be.

And, if the Bible were as perspicuous as you claim it to be, we would not have some Protestant denominations baptizing infants and ordaining women while others reject these things.

Why don’t you guys all interpret the clear word of God the same? 😛
 
So you’re saying Paul never actually wrote a physical letter to the Thessalonians, but someone overheard a conversation he had with the Thessalonian church (by phone maybe?) and then wrote it down later? Excuse the sarcasm, but this is a ridiculous claim if ever I heard one.
You’re aware that Paul preached these things first, and then later dictated them to a scribe or scribes who often signed their own names to them in addition to Paul’s signatures?
 
I hear you on Paul’s “I, not the Lord” statement, but I think it proves just the opposite:
And in admitting “I think it proves just the opposite” you unwittingly demonstrate more than mere opinion regarding why we cannot rely on Scripture alone.
Two well-intentioned, intelligent people are easily capable of reaching OPPOSITE opinions, that is fact. And if that is a fact and there is not some means for determining who is correct, then including those verses in Scripture is useless.
In general, Paul did know that he was writing Scripture.
In general??? Even if you remove the “in general” you cannot substantiate such a claim from Scripture, though you recognize the need for it to be true. This conflict - that it must be true for your theological system to make any sense and the fact that it is not actually stated in Scripture - leaves your objectivity compromised in assessing the reasonableness of what Scripture actually says.
The one place where he makes this interjection actually shows that he felt it necessary to differentiate what he thought was a personal opinion from the rest of the letter, which he thought to be inspired by God.
Absolutely false conclusion. Paul clearly demonstrated his ability to acknowledge when he had “received” something from the Lord in Chapter 11 of his letter to the Corinthians dealing with the Lords Supper:"For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you…"1Cor 11)
The truth of the matter is that Paul’s writings are confusing in what he knew. Sometimes he points out that he received something from the Lord and sometimes he doesnt and, as I said before, your claim that the above section “shows how he felt” stems more from your “need” to believe that he felt that way than it does from objective evidence. The evidence you claim to see is clearly unclear.
I think that Paul would have wanted to reinforce those things he had taught them that were of first importance (1 Corinthians 2:2 and 5:3) rather than leaving them to oral tradition where they could be altered or forgotten.
You have no idea, though, and that fact is vastly more important than your speculations. Perhaps Paul was so confident that it was all God that he believed whether it was written or spoken God would control events in a way to secure His message being properly passed on. We have no idea! The fact of the matter is that Paul never articulated the position that you have suggested. Nor did the successive generations that eventually determined the canon. There is a HUGE silence regarding the alleged transition from a living oral (and written) tradition to a purely written tradition (aka sola scriptura). No one ever bothers to say, “The age of oral tradition has ended, we are now a faith of the Bible alone”. It never happens, and the deafening silence of every generation of Christianity for 1500 years is an overwhelming veto of your thoughts regarding what Paul did and didnt know and why he did or didnt write things down.
 
Tomster, there is an excellent website called dictionary.com. Please go there and lookup the word “exegesis.”
Solus, what church do you attend? I’ve never understood why non-Catholics sign up for membership in this forum and then put “Christian” or “True Beleiver” or “Evangelical” in the field labelled “Religion”. What are you guys ashamed of?

Regardless of your affilitation, you are being taught along lines of thought that define your faith community. That is the “tradition” that you accept whether you admit it or not.
The silence is probably because they are wondering what planet you are from. NO, Evangelicals DO NOT believe they can interpret Scripture any way they please.
Yes and no. You think that until you begin to disagree with your pastor or elders. Then, you move to a different church or start your own. Don’t deny it, brother. I’m a convert. I know the truth of which I speak.
Fortunately for you, I know where you have heard that tripe: From apologists such as Scott Hahn. Contrary to what he may like to believe, however, he was never an Evangelical. He originally hailed from a denomination that does believe that Christians are free to interpret Scripture however they please, and he disingenuously attributes this belief to all Protestants.
Let me get this straight…are you saying that you are a member of a denomination that does NOT allow you to interpret the scriptures for yourself? You ARE required to toe the party line, so to speak? And you claim that you are not bound by “tradition”?

Woo boy. :rolleyes:
 
So then you do admit that your pastor’s interpretations MAY be incorrect. Good!

If that is the case, what makes you think by going back into the Bible yourself you can come up with the correct interpretation?

What happens when you bring your “correct interpretation” back to your pastor, explain it to him, and he disagrees with you? ANSWER: PROTESTANTISM!
Church split?

Disfellowshipping?

My dad, God bless his Methodist heart, told his pastor after church one Sunday, “It’s your job to tell me what you think the Bible says, and it’s my job to decide if I believe you.”

That, my friends, is not what God intended for His Church.
 
Church split?

Disfellowshipping?

My dad, God bless his Methodist heart, told his pastor after church one Sunday, “It’s your job to tell me what you think the Bible says, and it’s my job to decide if I believe you.”

That, my friends, is not what God intended for His Church.
Absolutely not. 🙂

John 17 makes that absolutely clear.
 
I hesitate to answer this question because I can envision the passion and displeasure this will arouse, but I would point to the “Cult of Mary” for one. I know I have heard the arguments many times that Catholics do not worship Mary, but when I read books such a St. Alphonsus de Liguori’s book “The Glories of Mary” and look at the language used by Legion of Mary publications, I cannot help but cringe. Whenever something that is the sole domain of Christ is applied to another, I immediately recognize it as idolatry.

Please withhold the hate mail on this one. I know this is an area where we will have to agree to disagree. But as I have said before, as a Christian I would give wide berth to anything expressely forbidden by God, and** would not dare to rely on technicalities, such as the claim that devotion to Mary is a hyperdulia form of worship and not a latria form of worship.** For this reason alone, I will never become a Catholic. If God says He burns in anger toward those who practice idolatry, I am going to run as fast and as far away as I can from anything that even hints of idolatry.
Actually your evidence doesn’t fit the charge. This does not nullify the word of God.
on second thought is the reference to the bolded section. your evidence?
Please tell me how such things as the mircles of Lourde’s and the Fatima come to be?
Scripture tells us to whom Mary points to, “do as He tells you” St.John’s account 2:5.
snip,
Now, before the Catholics in the room begin beating their chests in triumph, understand this: That evil teaching spawns from what is known as theological liberalism, and I have found strong taints of this filth even in some Catholic publications. I am sure everyone will be quick to point out that this is not the official theology of the RCC, but just understand that no group of believers is completely immune from this vile theology.
and this means what?
 
as a Christian I would give wide berth to anything expressely forbidden by God, and would not dare to rely on technicalities, such as the claim that devotion to Mary is a hyperdulia form of worship and not a latria form of worship. For this reason alone, I will never become a Catholic. If God says He burns in anger toward those who practice idolatry, I am going to run as fast and as far away as I can from anything that even hints of idolatry.
Does that mean that once the difference really sinks in, you would be open to becoming Catholic? Read on…

Saint Worship?
http://www.catholic.com/library/saint_worship.asp

The word “worship” has undergone a change in meaning in English. It comes from the Old English weorthscipe, which means the condition of being worthy of honor, respect, or dignity. To worship in the older, larger sense is to ascribe honor, worth, or excellence to someone, whether a sage, a magistrate, or God.

For many centuries, the term worship simply meant showing respect or honor, and an example of this usage survives in contemporary English. British subjects refer to their magistrates as “Your Worship,” although Americans would say “Your Honor.” This doesn’t mean that British subjects worship their magistrates as gods (in fact, they may even despise a particular magistrate they are addressing). It means they are giving them the honor appropriate to their office, not the honor appropriate to God.

Outside of this example, however, the English term “worship” has been narrowed in scope to indicate only that supreme form of honor, reverence, and respect that is due to God. This change in usage is quite recent. In fact, one can still find books that use “worship” in the older, broader sense. This can lead to a significant degree of confusion, when people who are familiar only with the use of words in their own day and their own circles encounter material written in other times and other places.

In Scripture, the term “worship” was similarly broad in meaning, but in the early Christian centuries, theologians began to differentiate between different types of honor in order to make more clear which is due to God and which is not.

As the terminology of Christian theology developed, the Greek term latria came to be used to refer to the honor that is due to God alone, and the term dulia came to refer to the honor that is due to human beings, especially those who lived and died in God’s friendship—in other words, the saints. Scripture indicates that honor is due to these individuals (Matt. 10:41b). A special term was coined to refer to the special honor given to the Virgin Mary, who bore Jesus—God in the flesh—in her womb. This term, hyperdulia (huper [more than]+ dulia = “beyond dulia”), indicates that the honor due to her as Christ’s own Mother is more than the dulia given to other saints. It is greater in degree, but still of the same kind. However, since Mary is a finite creature, the honor she is due is fundamentally different in kind from the latria owed to the infinite Creator.

All of these terms—latria, dulia, hyperdulia—used to be lumped under the one English word “worship.” Sometimes when one reads old books discussing the subject of how particular persons are to be honored, they will qualify the word “worship” by referring to “the worship of latria” or “the worship of dulia.” To contemporaries and to those not familiar with the history of these terms, however, this is too confusing.

Another attempt to make clear the difference between the honor due to God and that due to humans has been to use the words adore and adoration to describe the total, consuming reverence due to God and the terms venerate, veneration, and honor to refer to the respect due humans. Thus, Catholics sometimes say, “We adore God but we honor his saints.”

Unfortunately, many non-Catholics have been so schooled in hostility toward the Church that they appear unable or unwilling to recognize these distinctions. They confidently (often arrogantly) assert that Catholics “worship” Mary and the saints, and, in so doing, commit idolatry. This is patently false, of course, but the education in anti-Catholic prejudice is so strong that one must patiently explain that Catholics do not worship anyone but God—at least given the contemporary use of the term. The Church is very strict about the fact that latria, adoration—what contemporary English speakers call “worship”—is to be given only to God.
 
Solus, what church do you attend? I’ve never understood why non-Catholics sign up for membership in this forum and then put “Christian” or “True Beleiver” or “Evangelical” in the field labelled “Religion”. What are you guys ashamed of?
Maybe they don’t even know.

There are so many congregations with generic-sounding names - and unless a person is involved in leadership with them, they wouldn’t really know which denomination their congregation is affiliated with. We have one chapel that is run by the Plymouth Brethren, and plenty of people attend there who wouldn’t be able to tell you anything about the Plymouth Brethren, what they believe or teach, or where they came from - all they know is that they like the music, and the teaching seems “biblical” to them. The term “Plymouth Brethren” isn’t listed in the name or title anywhere, and in the phone book it’s just listed as “non-denominational.” I have also heard that the Lutherans have established a number of “non-denominational” chapels and congregations - again, the people wouldn’t necessarily know that their place of worship is affiliated with the Lutherans.
 
Solus-

I think your request for what would amount to the Sacramentary of the Early Church is a bit unreasonable. Of course, you get mileage out of demanding it (since you know we have nothing to offer)…I do get that.
This has nothing to do with mileage. It has everything to do with the reasonableness of the claims and demands being made by the RCC. The RCC is asking you (or, as a Catholic, requiring you) to believe them about what they tell you. Without the sort of evidence I am asking for, that belief is purely a faith in hearsay. As a non-Catholic, the only reason a Catholic evangelist can offer me is that the RCC says so. The traditions of the RCC are, therefore, purely a matter of dogmatism.
 
This has nothing to do with mileage. It has everything to do with the reasonableness of the claims and demands being made by the RCC. The RCC is asking you (or, as a Catholic, requiring you) to believe them about what they tell you. Without the sort of evidence I am asking for, that belief is purely a faith in hearsay. As a non-Catholic, the only reason a Catholic evangelist can offer me is that the RCC says so. The traditions of the RCC are, therefore, purely a matter of dogmatism.
Perhaps your problem is that you put the cart before the horse.

Once you have come to understand that the Catholic Church really does have the authority that scripture says Jesus conveyed upon her as well as the guidance of the Holy Spirit to ensure that her teaching is without error, the rest comes easy.

Starting with the Assumption of Mary and working backwards to infallibility doesn’t work very well. Understand the Magisterium and the Assumption is not a problem.
 
I usually start by 1 of 2 ways.
  1. Asking, “What is the pillar and bullwark of truth”?
  2. Asking, “Why do you believe the Bible is the inspired word of God”?
 
This has nothing to do with mileage. It has everything to do with the reasonableness of the claims and demands being made by the RCC.
It’s true that we don’t have the text of the Sacramentary of the first and second centuries, probably because most of it was oral.

St. Paul says, “I pass on to you what was given to me: on the night when the Lord Jesus was betrayed, he took bread, and blessed it, saying …” etc.

This is the passing down of the Mass - St. Paul received the words of the Mass from those who taught him, and now, he is passing them on to other people. He doesn’t write down the whole text of it, because those who needed to know it knew it the same way Catholic seven year olds today know it - by hearing it every Sunday.

We know that St. Justin had the same Mass that we have today, because he describes it in his “Apologia”.
The RCC is asking you (or, as a Catholic, requiring you) to believe them about what they tell you. Without the sort of evidence I am asking for, that belief is purely a faith in hearsay.
Technically, yes, it’s hearsay - but what reason did either St. Paul or St. Justin have to lie about it? 🤷
As a non-Catholic, the only reason a Catholic evangelist can offer me is that the RCC says so.
Not only because it says so today, but because it has always said so, right from the very beginning, when Jesus said, “Thou art Rock, and upon this rock I will build my Church,” and “Whatsoever ye bind on earth is bound in Heaven, and whatsoever ye loose on earth, is loosed in Heaven.”
 
"5 Myths about 7 Books"
By Mark Shea
envoymagazine.com/backissues/1.2/marapril_story2.html

…the Old Testament was still very much in flux in the time of Christ and there was no fixed canon of Scripture in the apostolic period. Some people will tell you that there must have been since, they say, Jesus held people accountable to obey the Scriptures. But this is also untrue. For in fact, Jesus held people accountable to obey their conscience and therefore, to obey Scripture insofar as they were able to grasp what constituted “Scripture.”
Mark is making a lot of unsubstantiated claims here. However, I would just ask one question: If it was unclear what constituted Scripture to the Jews during the time of Christ, how could Christ have repeatedly appealed to the Scriptures? Wouldn’t Christ have had to first ask the individuals He was addressing what was their conception of the Scriptures to understand the extent to which their consciences had been formed?

Mark’s argument doesn’t make any sense. Mark is wrong: Christ did not appeal to their conscience, he appealed to God’s Word and He appealed to it as an authoritative standard. He furthermore referred to it as a unit and not as a loose and unformed collection. If Mark is right, then how could Jesus ever have said “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:17-19) If the Jewish people had been unclear on the bounds of the canon, then this statement by Jesus would certainly have initiated a huge discussion.

To the contrary, the Jewish people recognized (and more importantly Jesus acknowledged) the Tanakh as Scripture and as authoritative. I should also point out that the Tanakh is divided into three sections: 1) Torah (referred to as the Law) 2) Nevi’im (referred to as the Prophets) and 3) Ketuvim (referred to as the writings or the Psalms). Notice how Christ acknowledges all three: “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” (Luke 24:44)
When the Lord and His Apostles addressed Greek-speaking Diaspora Jews, they made use of an even bigger collection of Scripture - the Septuagint, a translation of the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek - which many Jews (the vast majority, in fact) regarded as inspired Scripture. In fact, we find that the New Testament is filled with references to the Septuagint (and its particular translation of various Old Testament passages) as Scripture. It’s a strange irony that one of the favorite passages used in anti-Catholic polemics over the years is Mark 7:6-8. In this passage Christ condemns “teaching as doctrines human traditions.” This verse has formed the basis for countless complaints against the Catholic Church for supposedly “adding” to Scripture man-made traditions, such as the “merely human works” of the deuterocanononical books. But few realize that in Mark 7:6-8 the Lord was quoting the version of Isaiah that is found only in the Septuagint version of the Old Testament.
I fail to see the irony here. Yes, the Septuagint was known and used by the early Church. No one debates that. The earliest version of the Septuagint, however, did not even include the aprocryphal books. It was their subsequent inclusion that made them a matter of debate. Ireneaus, Tertullian, and Clement of Alexandria accepted them as canonical, but Athansius, Origen, and Jerome did not.

On a final note, it is worthwhile to point out that when Cardinal Cajetan opposed Luther at Augsburg in 1518, he published a book entitled A Commentray on All the Authentic Historical Books of the Old Testament. Remarkably, his commentary did not include the Apocrypha. The Apocryphal books were not formally ratified by the Catholic Church until the Council of Trent in 1546. The timing seems very suspicious to me, coming as it did in response to the Reformation. Any Catholic with an open mind ought to ask him or herself why it was not until 1546 that the Aprocyphal books were formally ratified. Moreover, that Council only ratified 11 of the 15 Apocryphal books. Why is that?
 
Let’s take a different approach…how old do YOU think the Church’s teaching on the Sacrament of Reconciliation is? By what century was it developed to the point that we might recognize it today?
You yourself have pointed out how some things developed over time. I do not know by what century the Sacrament of Reconciliation developed to the point we recognize it today. And that is precisely the problem: We see a gradual development over time. This was, therefore, not a tradition handed down by the apostles or we would have expected it to be fully developed from the start and thus evident in Scripture. Because it was not fully developed from the start, however, the sacrament as we recognize it today is something concocted by the RCC, but to which the RCC attributes a divine origin.
Sure. But I find the Eucharist spelled out clearly enough in the Bible. John 6 couldn’t be any clearer in its language, yet many reject Jesus’ Real Presence. So, what could is a verse or two if people simply try to explain them away no matter what?
Question: What did Jesus mean in John 6:63 when He said: “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.”
The meal referred to in Corinthians was distinct from the consecration of the bread and wine.
This statement completely ignores the context. Read the chapter in its entirety. Paul is confronting the Corinthian church about the way in which it observes the Lord’s Supper. Paul recounts the Last Supper in verses 24 and 25. Both before and after this recounting Paul talks about the ways in which they profaned the observance. If this meal was separate from the consecration, then why did Paul make a reference to the Last Supper? This makes no sense at all!
Looking at the scriptures from a purely historical perspective, I see that Jesus Christ is God. As God, He promised to build a single, visible, infallible Church led by His own royal steward, Peter. That same Church has been in continuous existence for 2,000 years, and I am a Catholic because no other Church can make these claims.
I understand you accept the Catholic dogma uncritically. “Single,” “visible,” and “infallible” do not, however, appear in Scripture. It is inferred through eisegetical insertions into the Bible text.

Just to set the record straight, is your belief that God “promised to build a single, visible, infallible Church led by His own royal steward, Peter?” something you believe based solely on the evidence, or is your belief primarily rooted in faith?
 
Are you saying that if Peter had said, “I think it will rain tomorrow”, that was an infallible statement? I really invite you to do some homework on how infallibility actually works.
Whether intentional or not, you are dodging the real issue here. The entire premise behind the RCC interpretation of Matthew 16:17-19 is that Christ was there making a declaratory statement about the intended polity and structure of His Church. The RCC claims this was understood and taught by the apostles and was handed down through oral tradition down to present day. But the arguments I am hearing here in this forum are that maybe it was not readily evident to the apostles and the understanding only developed over time. Well, which is it? Because if it is something that developed over time, then clearly it was not something handed down by the apostles via oral tradition. If it was understood by the apostles, then Mr. Boncore’s explanation does not hold water and his portrayal of the Council of Jerusalem is a sham.
Forgive me, but remind me what your was point previously. I’ve lost the thread…
I understand completely. These threads can become unruly after a while. So I am asking you to help me understand the flaw you see in the following logic:
  1. If it is by way of these figurative keys that binding and loosing occurs (according to your own words), AND
  2. Christ gave this power to all of his disciples (Matthew 18:18), THEN
  3. Does it not stand to reason that the other disciples also have these keys?
You have already said you disagree with the logic and quoted others which take the same stance. I am not looking for agreement, however, but rather how you have determined the logic to be flawed that led to your disagreement. In other words, is your disagreement based purely on the disagreement of others or is your disagreement based on reason?
No, again, that is not how it works. It’s not the percentage that *hears, *but the pope must intend to define a doctrine in his capacity as shepherd and teacher of the whole Church. Peter clearly did not intend to teach a doctrine to the whole Church concerning the circumcision of Gentiles; however, you asserted that Peter had somehow formally taught error when he decided not to have breakfast with some uncircumcised guys, and I say, “No, that’s not how infallible teaching works.”

Again, you might do some reading to get up to speed on this.
Peradventure one day the Pope released a document teaching about some doctrinal matter, but it was not deemed to be ex cathedra. Let’s say even the Pope stated it should not be taken as being received as ex cathedra. But the Catholic faithful joyfully accept and read the document. Now, what if the document contained a subtle but destructive heresy? Is it possible that large portions of the Church could be led astray in this scenario?

The RCC argument is that the charism of infallibility is specifically intended to keep the Church from going astray. My difficulty is that the requirements of ex cathedra seem to limit the scope to the point that infallibility does not really protect the Church.

I think, Randy, it would help me and our discussion if you can help me to understand what Catholics understand to be the body of infallible teaching (which, I assume would be all declarations made ex cathedra?). Everyone on this forum keeps telling me I misunderstand the charism, so let’s just get this nailed down once and for all. I do not want your personal ideas, mind you, but rather the official Church teaching on this matter.
 
I don’t mean to be rude, but if the Protestant is scratching his head, it’s simply because he doesn’t get it or doesn’t want to get it. Friend, you continue to look at the world through Protestant-colored glasses, then of course the Catholic claims are going to look odd.
Good point! We really need to try to be objective here. With this in mind, please tell me how an objective reading (i.e. sans the RCC’s eisegesis) of Matthew 16:17-19 proves infallibility. Remember, the objective reader would also be willing to include in his considerations Matthew 18:18,19!
Now, you are being rude. My reasoning is anything but suspect.
I said the RCC’s reasoning, but I understand that as a Catholic you take it personally. I am not being rude, however, just challenging the reasoning. If the reasoning is not the impetus behind your acceptation of the Catholic interpretation, however, then tell me it is really based on faith and we will stop arguing about it.
Again, duh. They ARE dependent on God. In response, God has provided us with the Church to shepherd us.
Actually, that is precisely my contention. The Catholic believes he/she is placing their faith in God by relying on the RCC to teach them what to believe concerning God. The Catholic believes this because the RCC teaches them that this is God’s plan (and the RCC accuses Protestants of circular reasoning!). But by trusting in this claim by the RCC, the Catholic is not placing his/her trust in God (since the RCC’s assertion is not revealed as true in His Word), but in the RCC.

That’s the assertion. To refute this, all I am asking is to be shown where God reveals this design advocated by the RCC in His Word. The passages produced in response have not accomplished this by any objective reading of the passages not to mention when considered within their associated contexts.
Interesting but not applicable. Jesus specifically instructed Peter to tend and feed His flock. JESUS LEFT PETER IN CHARGE. The passage from Is. 22:22 connects directly to Mt. 16:18-19 as Peter is the royal steward of Jesus’ household here on earth.
Another question for you Randy: Do you believe there is a unifying theme in the Bible? If so, what is it?
I might have said the very same thing when I was still a Protestant.
Coming from a Protestant background, please tell me what was it that led you to convert to catholicism. As a Protestant I see so many problems with the claims of the RCC, so I am genuinely interested to hear your conversion story. Were you predisposed toward the Catholic Church, or was it a hard fought struggle for you?
You’re using the wrong unit of measure. It’s not the number of people who are led astray that counts; it’s the number of doctrines which the Church formally teaches incorrectly that matters. That number is “zero”, and consequently, the flock has never been led astray by the Church’s formal teaching on matters of faith and morals. That is what infallibility means.
Are there no concerns about the Church being led astray informally taught doctrines?
You are clearly ignorant of the fact that the Orthodox have the same seven sacraments as the Catholic Church as well as valid apostolic succession of their bishops and valid holy orders. Consequently, their uniformity with Catholic doctrine is quite good. This just doesn’t fit with your view of the world, does it?
I hate to point out the obvious, but “quite good” is not synonymous with “the same.” Either there is uniformity or there is not. What you describe are similarities. Do the Orthodox believe in the infallibility of the Pope? No! Do they believe in the primacy of the Pope? No! There is not uniformity by any definition, else the Orthodox would cease to distinguish themselves and would subordinate their hierarchy to the Bishop of Rome. How can the RCC maintain that there is only one visible Church in one breath and then call the Orthodox church a true church in the next breath? This is a strange paradox. Is the Church of Christ only found in one visible institution or not? If I appear ignorant, then it is because I am confused by all of the double-talk.
 
Jesus founded a visible Church
Adapted from “The Necessity of Being Catholic”
by James Akin
chnetwork.org/journals/nesschurch/ness_7.htm
Well, this pretty much settles it for me. The Orthodox church is not a “true church” after all. If it were, Peter’s successor would be able to exercise authority over the Orthodox church. Since the Orthodox church does not recognize the Pope’s authority over them, however, and since it is a separate visible institution, it must not be a “true church.” I sure hope that Lumen Gentium wasn’t pronounced ex cathedra!
There are thus abundant reasons to conclude that the Church Jesus was discussing in Matthew 16:17-19 was a visible communion of believers
Abundant reasons maybe, but certainly no conclusive reasons. Once again, it is all predicated on an acceptance of the elaborate interpretive framework erected around this passage by the RCC. If you take off your “Catholic glasses” and look at the passage objectively, these “abundant reasons” appear very questionable. I have already shown “abundant reasons” to doubt that the passage portends everything the RCC claims it does. A number of questions throw the RCC’s interpretation into doubt and still have not been answered. To name three of them:
  1. If a special charism was being conferred on Peter in Matthew 16:18, then why was the same charism given to all of the disciples in Matthew 18:18?
  2. If this special charism, communicated clearly in the original Aramaic, was understood by the disciples, why did none of them acknowledge this charism at crucial junctures, like the Council in Jerusalem?
  3. If the “rock” referred to in Matthew 16:18 was Peter, then why is Peter referred to in the second person whereas “this rock” is referred to in the third person?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top