R
Randy_Carson
Guest
Correct. However, to be more precise, the Apostles would not be permitted by the Holy Spirit to bind/loose anything on earth that God was not prepared to bind/loose in heaven; therefore, the Apostles were prevented from teaching error by God.Randy, this is your argument: 1) Christ is telling the disciples that whatever they bind/loose on earth God will also bind/loose in Heaven 2) God would not bind/loose in error 3) Therefore the disciples (and by extension the Church) is infallible.
It’s not that the Apostles ARE infallible and can do no wrong in and of themselves; it’s that the Apostles are infallible precisely because the Holy Spirit PREVENTS them from teaching something wrong.
You’re comparing apples and oranges. Oh, sure…you can say that Christ has promised to do whatever “two or three” agree upon, but teaching about the triune nature of God or the hypostatic union is not the same thing as asking God for good weather so that you can get the hay put up in the barn, now is it? Answering our prayers is one thing; actively overseeing the official teaching of His Church is quite another. And as an aside, I would ask you to be honest about whether Jesus has answered every single on of your personal prayers. My bet is that you’re not feeling especially confident about that, either. But I digress.What I am saying is that by this same kind of logic, John 14:14 would seem to suggest Christians are infallible in their prayers. Observe how the same logic would apply in this case: 1) Christ is telling His followers that whatever they ask in his name He will do 2) Christ would not do anything that is in error 3) Therefore, Christians must be infallible in their prayers.
Of course, neither one of us agree with this conclusion, but you see how I have used your logical argument to infer infallibility just as you have. My challenge to you, therefore, is to explain why the inconsistent application of this logic (you deny its use here in John 14:14, but insist on its use in Matthew 16:18). Since infallibility is not mentioned in either place we have to use human reasoning to infer it, but I am saying that the human reasoning is wrong.
Can you provide references and links to scripture scholars who have reached the conclusion that all Christians are infallible in their prayers? No, of course, not - because as you point out, the argument is not sensical and no one believes it. But not because infallibility does not exist. To say that B is not equal to A doesn’t prove that A simply doesn’t exist - it is a non sequitur. You’re comparing apples and oranges, and I do not believe there is a single verse of scripture wherein God promises to lead all Christians individually into infallible understanding of the truth.
Additionally, I would be willing to bet that you cannot find any other serious, non-Catholic/anti-Catholic scholar or apologist who would even bother making the argument that you are making. Why? Because the logic is so flawed that no one would seriously attempt to disprove infallibility on the basis of John 14:14 - at least no one that I have come across…and I do spend an absurd amount of time trying to explain and defend the Catholic Church. As best I can tell, you have attempted something completely novel, and that should give you pause. Perhaps there’s a reason why none of the most brilliant minds of the past 500 years have argued along this line. Or perhaps I simply don’t know everything. Believe me when I say that I love to learn, so I await your response on this point. Really.
No, as a Christian, I realized that Jesus only founded one Church and that only the Catholic Church qualified as that Church. So, I converted.As a Catholic, you assume that big “C” Church must necessarily mean the RCC.
Rubbish and revisionist. Jesus did not envision His ONE Body being fractured and broken into thousands of competing denominations teaching conflicting and contradictory doctrines. (As God, He might have foreseen it, but it was not His will for things to be as they currently are due to weaknesses and mistakes on both sides.)There is nothing here, however, to preclude Christ from using the term in a general sense, as in the “invisible” (small “c” catholic) Church. In fact, this is what He had to have intended since the RCC did not even exist as an entity at that point (because the schism with the eastern church had not happened).
One Lord. One Faith. One Baptism. One Flock. One Shepherd.
More rubbish. The doctrine of infallibility was understood from the beginning of the Church - though it has been developed and understood more fully over time.Once again, I know you do not accept this. But, if we do accept this, then we are relieved of having to infer infallibility into texts where it does not exist through selective application of suspect reasoning.
(cont.)