Solus,
“The earnest Protestant who goes directly to the Bible for his beliefs is brought into immediate contact with the Holy Spirit, and can take the ideas that his reading conveys to him personally as the direct teaching of the Holy Spirit to himself, and the individual inquirer can . . . be SURE [emph. mine] of extracting from the Scripture text the intended meaning of its divine author.” - Martin Luther
There you have it. Straight from Dr. Luther’s mouth (his own oral tradition) which was passed on in written form.
Can you see the flawed reasoning he exhibited when he promulgated this doctrine? Can you see how it lead to a multiplicity of fallible opinions and creeds in Protestantism, all of them based on the Bible?
If it is true that Luther’s reasoning was flawed, then his idea was ignoble and the Bereans, far from being declared noble, ought to have been chastised for attempting the same (Acts 17:11). Moreover, Paul would not have exhorted the Ephesian church to “take…the Sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” (Ephesians 6:17) Rather, he would have instructed them to leave the Sword of the Spirit in the hands of the Sacred Magisterium. The writer to the Hebrews, in chapter 10, quotes from an OT prophecy (Jeremiah 31:33) that describes the nature of the relationship between the elect and God’s Word. It says: “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws on their heart, and write them upon their minds.” Paul’s exhortation to Timothy to “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth,” (2 Timothy 2:15) is also for all Christians. Luther surely had in mind those who rightly handle the word of truth. Those who do not rightly handle the word of truth do not thereby invalidate this exhortation. Those who do rightly handle the word of truth are not answerable for those who do not.
I have never read this quote from Luther, and so am not familiar with it. I am, however, familiar with the Scripture passages above. Though I am sure you would like to identify the idea of the Holy Spirit instructing us in His Word as an innovation of Luther, the notion was originally conveyed by God through His Word. Psalms 119:105 says that God’s Word is a lamp to our path and a light to our feet. If our way is illumined through God’s Word, then we can be sure the Holy Spirit has been at work. Therefore, your charge against Luther is really a charge against God. It is your word against His.
I hate to state the obvious, but opinions and creeds do not need to be infallible in order to be true. I am not suggesting there are multiple truths, but only that infallibility is not requisite. I, being fallible, can utter a true statement, such as “2+2=4”.
Finally, since his debut at the Garden of Eden, the Adversary has been at work to cast doubt on God’s Word and to lead astray. He can “drown out” the truth of God with a multiplicity of competing untruths, but God in His goodness and divine providence will lead, like a good shepherd, those who are His. If the Adversary causes some to doubt God’s very words, then it comes as no surprise. If the Adversary can place any distance between some people and God’s Word, then he will assuredly consider it a victory. If the Adversary can redirect some people’s attention toward some distortion of God’s Word then he takes great pleasure in it. And if he can make those same people hold fast to that distortion with great fervor and lure them into believing the certainty of that distortion, then he has dominion over those souls unless and until God opens their eyes.
Give us your list of essentials from the Bible please.
I recently addressed this, but there is no official list. Paul made a very high-level list when he said: “For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me.” (1 Corinthians 15:3-8) In a similar vein he also said: “For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.” (1 Corinthians 2:2)
I will also repeat what I stated previously - that it is not always readily evident what is essential, and believers must look to God and His Holy Spirit for wisdom and discernment. More than likely, however, if it is not clear from Scripture then it probably is not essential.
You asked me to provide “my list.” Why do you want or even care what my list would look like (supposing I even had one)? Is my opinion of any significance? No! But name a topic and we will look and see what the Scriptures say to determine whether it is essential. I made a similar challenge to the Catholics on this forum to provide me with an official list of ex cathedra doctrines. Can you provide me with this?