S
Solus_Christus
Guest
Even during the time of the apostles, there were already wrong ideas and heresies extant. Moreover, St. Ignatius was not infallible. Finally, the quote you provided seems a bit cryptic to me. I am not really sure it sheds any light on what he believed, but maybe you can help me with this.Read the writings of the Early Fathers. In 110 AD, St. Ignatius of Antioch describes himself (as he is being carried away to the lions) as a kind of Eucharistic sacrifice. He says, “Let me be ground into Eucharistic bread between the teeth of the lions.”
I do place more weight on earlier writings, so I do not want to downplay the letter from Ignatius. Nevertheless, in the end everything must be scruitinized against God’s Word.
Christian sacrifice? I am afraid I am not following you at all. Please explain what you mean by this. The idea of the mass as a true sacrifice does not mean a sacrifice of the Christian. How could it?How could he say this, if he didn’t understand the Eucharist as the Christian sacrifice?
Yes, but those writings do not clearly lay out all of the RCC dogmas. Many of the dogmas concerning Mary, for example, are lacking in the early writings. Therefore, it is difficult to know exactly what the early believers believed concerning Mary and, more importantly, what the apostles did or did not teach concerning Mary. Also, while the church at Rome clearly enjoyed a preeminent position in the early Church, it is not at all clear from the early letters that the nature of that position is the same as it is today.We have a kind of time machine - we have the writings of the Church throughout the centuries, from the closing of the Scriptures (and even material that is contemporary with the New Testament writings) until now, with very few gaps. We know what they were thinking, because they wrote it down.