Where to find modest bridesmaid gowns?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kevinsgirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the train on the gown, it’s beautiful. You will be gorgeous in that.
Thanks! 😃

One big bonus about this train is that it won’t be too hard to bustle and it’ll be light…🙂

We’ll be going to Rome for part of the honeymoon and are going to try to have an audience with the Holy Father, so I needed a dress that wouldn’t be too hard to pack…or walk around in on a sidewalk! :cool:

And another cool thing–I got the dress for $199–how’s that for a bargain? 🙂 I just loooove clearance…😃
 
Thanks so much for the sites, Sactareparata! 😃

I just bought my wedding dress–an Eternity gown.

Isn’t it gorgeous?!? :bounce:

kevinsgirl :love:
I am a professional seamstress so I see a LOT of dresses. That is one of the most gorgeous dresses I have seen in a long time! The train looks a lot like the one I made for my own wedding dress. It was very unusual and I got a lot of compliments on it. Yes it is very light. I loved how it looked bustled. May I suggest an under-bustle rather than an over bustle? It will look gorgeous with that style. A good seamstress in your area will know the difference. If you are interested in seeing one I will try to find an online pic for you.

The price is great! I am so happy for you!
 
The gown looks gorgeous. The only thing that could improve it would be long sleeves.

I was talking with a girlfriend about our wedding gowns. In contrast to the ones worn by the young, orthodox Catholic brides’ whose weddings my sons have attended, our gowns were long-sleeved and to the floor and with high neck-lines. And we are both southerners and know what heat is like. But nowadays there is air-conditioning and usually it is too cold. So that should not even be a consideration.
I told my sons when looking at the pictures taken at the weddings of graduates of orthodox Catholic colleges that the gowns were immodest-bare shoulders and bare arms. It makes no sense for a Catholic woman to not wear enough clothing, especially at a wedding. Are we Christians supposed to dress like prostitutes? For a Catholic this should not be difficult to figure out.
Girls, remember the veiling. All that is holy is veiled, like the Eucharist.
 
May I suggest an under-bustle rather than an over bustle? It will look gorgeous with that style. A good seamstress in your area will know the difference. If you are interested in seeing one I will try to find an online pic for you.
LittleDeb,

A picture would help so much! 🙂

Thanks tons,

kevinsgirl :love:
 
The gown looks gorgeous.

Girls, remember the veiling.
Thanks, Leeta!

Yep, I’m actually working on sewing my veil…sort of. 😃

I got a tulle veil on sale half price from Hobby Lobby which makes it like $6.50. And then I got some Venician lace trim and white pearl beads to trim it and do beadwork. It’ll be time-intensive, but I’m enjoying it too…🙂

kevinsgirl :love:
 
LittleDeb,

A picture would help so much! 🙂

Thanks tons,

kevinsgirl :love:
Here’s one I found…
google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.priscillaofboston.com/images/styleguide/2725BF.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.priscillaofboston.com/glossary_terms_page.jsp%3Fcid%3D10&h=272&w=172&sz=10&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=SCIM58ws-FdzvM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=71&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522under%2Bbustle%2522%2B%252B%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26hs%3D483%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official
Sorry the link is a mile long. I am not good at converting them to short links using the tools here. I really need to learn how based on this one! 😛

If you scroll down it shows an under bustle and an over bustle to compare them. Let me know what you think!
 
Thanks so much for the sites, Sactareparata! 😃

I just bought my wedding dress–an Eternity gown.

Isn’t it gorgeous?!? :bounce:

kevinsgirl :love:
That is a:thumbsup: beautiful dress!! It is very modest & ladylike. I always feel so 😦 sad when I see some of the dresses that are supposed to be wedding gowns, & they look like they belong at a wild party instead…
The dress you showed for the bridesmaids is lovely, too…It would look good on any figure type, too…Even a 😛 fat lady like me!!
Thank you so much for this thread. It makes me happy to see young ladies planning a wedding where they look like Christian ladies–without being less than elegant at it!!
 
Great idea from Little Deb to under bustle. I noticed in the pic she posted that the bustle was rather high, near the waist…I just wanted to mention to our bride that she can also have the bustle lower. Like maybe beginning above the top of the back of her knees. My daughter had a bustle like that and it complimented the the a-line of her dress.

Just a thought.
 
…it shows an under bustle and an over bustle to compare them. Let me know what you think!
Thanks so much for the link, LittleDeb! I like the under bustle a lot–it will compliment the lace train beautifully!

Now I just need to experiment if I’m going to have the bustle high or low like newf just suggested (thanks for the idea, newf!).

kevinsgirl :love:
 
That is a:thumbsup: beautiful dress!! It is very modest & ladylike. I always feel so 😦 sad when I see some of the dresses that are supposed to be wedding gowns, & they look like they belong at a wild party instead…
The dress you showed for the bridesmaids is lovely, too…It would look good on any figure type, too…Even a 😛 fat lady like me!!
Thank you so much for this thread. It makes me happy to see young ladies planning a wedding where they look like Christian ladies–without being less than elegant at it!!
Thanks so much, Zooey! 🙂 I’ve enjoyed this thread too–it has given me lots of ideas and it’s just so much fun to discuss my wedding with ya’ll! 😃

kevinsgirl :love:
 
I’m not trying to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if people thought this gown was modest enough for a Catholic wedding and since this thread is about something similar I hope it’s ok.

Incidently this thread has also given me great ideas for my upcoming wedding too 🙂
 
I’m not trying to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if people thought this gown was modest enough for a Catholic wedding and since this thread is about something similar I hope it’s ok.

Incidently this thread has also given me great ideas for my upcoming wedding too 🙂
I think it is quite beautiful. Even though the sleeves are see-thru, the shoulders are solid. That has been one of the things I look for. If the front, sides and back cover enough to wear normal undergarments, then it is generally fairly modest. My LDS friends would not find the sleeves on this modest enough because it would not cover their garments.

I think it is though. The neckline on this is is good for modesty, although busty ladies need to be careful with necklines no matter what. Please remember that all commercial gowns are made to a “B-cup.” If you are anything larger than that, order a size (or 2) larger and have the rest of it altered down. The bust will make or break a dress and has a strong bearing on modesty.

Blessings in your upcoming wedding.
 
I’m not trying to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if people thought this gown was modest enough for a Catholic wedding and since this thread is about something similar I hope it’s ok.

Incidently this thread has also given me great ideas for my upcoming wedding too 🙂
Hey Journey137!

Congrats on your engagement! 🙂

I love the dress…you’ll be simply gorgeous!

kevinsgirl :love:

P.S. When’s your wedding? 🙂
 
I’m not trying to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if people thought this gown was modest enough for a Catholic wedding and since this thread is about something similar I hope it’s ok.

Incidently this thread has also given me great ideas for my upcoming wedding too 🙂
I think it’s beautiful. I love the beading on the skirt. And yes, it’s modest enough.
 
Thanks for the opinions.

LittleDeb, currently I’m a fairly modest B cup so that should work out just fine.

KevinsGirl, the wedding is going to be around December 2007, we have not got the exact date set yet as our priest is on a 40 day retreat and won’t be back until the late part of November. Thanks for the congrats, and the same to you.

SeekerJen, the beading is my favorite part of the dress and part of the reason I got it. The other part being the detachable train, yay for no bustling required!
 
Yay!!! I finally found the perfect veil! 🙂

I was making mine, but the I couldn’t get the lace to match my dress…and then I found this website of gorgeous veils and I was sold. 😃

Soooo…

If any of you girls are looking for veils with lace mantilla-style edging you might want to look at:weddingveil.com/
 
Both are BEAUTIFUL! I had my mother’s friend, who’s a professional seamstress, make my veil (the night before the wedding, actually 🙂 ), but it was very simple. I also bought a tiara that I ended up not using due to the way my hair was put up. The hair incident was a nightmare leading up to the wedding day, but that’s another story. Anyway, your dress is beautiful too! Are you getting excited? Have you found modest, bridesmaid dresses?

I hope the rest of your planning goes smoothly and is enjoyable! If you ever have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask :). God bless!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top