Where to Get Rid of Protestant Bibles

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jotobo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I would say destroy those protestant bibles, reverently, of course. Depending on the translation, the errors range from subtle to colossal. If it has side notes or commentaries they will eventually lead someone into error. Destroying unapproved translations of the bible worked for the Catholic Church in the middle ages, it works just as well now.

Just my $.02
 
Personally, I would say destroy those protestant bibles, reverently, of course. Depending on the translation, the errors range from subtle to colossal. If it has side notes or commentaries they will eventually lead someone into error. Destroying unapproved translations of the bible worked for the Catholic Church in the middle ages, it works just as well now.

Just my $.02
I’m with you. Why promulgate confusion?

I had a Gideon Bible that someone had underlined a zillion passages in, leading the reader from one baffling text to another, trying to make some point I just couldn’t figure out. It went into the recycling bin. If that’s enough to send me to Hell, well, so be it.
 
It is the Bible. What would you say if I had just a book of the 4 gospels? Would you spit on it because it was incomplete?
Once altered it can promote heresy. That is the last thing a catholic would promote. As there are 33,000 different denominations , there can be that many “bibles”. I would ask if you perhaps wrote those 4 gospels or where you found your bible. Where is the AUTHORITY of this bible? We recognize the Bible, written by St. Jerome , as authoritative in the english speaking world.
 
Once altered it can promote heresy. That is the last thing a catholic would promote. As there are 33,000 different denominations , there can be that many “bibles”. I would ask if you perhaps wrote those 4 gospels or where you found your bible. Where is the AUTHORITY of this bible? We recognize the Bible, translated by St. Jerome , as authoritative in the english speaking world.
 
Not only that but the Protestant Bibles tend to push their “agenda” in many verses throughout the bible.
Can you give an example or two, and the versions you are talking about as well?
Throw them out. Once altered they are incomplete and usually heretical.
I’m not even quite sure you know what you’re talking about.
Once altered it can promote heresy. That is the last thing a catholic would promote. As there are 33,000 different denominations , there can be that many “bibles”. I would ask if you perhaps wrote those 4 gospels or where you found your bible. Where is the AUTHORITY of this bible? We recognize the Bible, written by St. Jerome , as authoritative in the english speaking world.
Are you aware of how translations work?
 
Can you give an example or two, and the versions you are talking about as well?

I’m not even quite sure you know what you’re talking about

Are you aware of how translations work?
Are you aware of Authority? Whose translations?
I think you know exactly what I am talking about.A heritical bible not in agreement with the Church.
 
Can you give an example or two, and the versions you are talking about as well?

I’m not even quite sure you know what you’re talking about.

Are you aware of how translations work?
No, Thomas is right on… Let me give you an example of a fairly inocuous change standard to protestant bibles:

Matthew 6:12-13 KJV
6:12} And forgive us our debts, as we forgive
our debtors. {6:13} And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the
power, and the glory, for ever.
Amen.
It has been shown, through good scholarship, that the underlined and italisied portion is mistakenly included in perhaps every protestatn (only) version of the bible. The Doxology was added in the notes to a particular version of the Gosple of Matthew, protistant scribes mistakenly thought it was a part of the actual document and mistakenly included it.

So right there, the Lords prayer has been altered. Now let me show you a more problematic example. In the Gosple of Luke, the original greek indicates that Mary is possesive of God’s grace, thus the best translation of the Angle Gabrial’s annunciation to Mary is:

Douay Luke 1:28
28 And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
A good, but less accurate translation is:
KJV Luke 1:28
{1:28} And the angel came in unto her,
and said, Hail, [thou that art] highly favoured, the Lord
 
I offered to take the those Bibles and any others of your hands and the information for our church is in the internet, just look for ccmtb.com . Not need to destroy or give them to people that may or may not want them. I will be happy to have them and to use them for the Glory of God. JP.
 
Douay Luke 1:28

A good, but less accurate translation is:
KJV Luke 1:28

Douay Luke 1:28
Quote:
28 And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
A good, but less accurate translation is:
KJV Luke 1:28
Quote:
{1:28} And the angel came in unto her,
and said, Hail, [thou that art] highly favoured, the Lord

This is how that passage of Luke reads from my NAB version. And it is very close to the KJV.

The NAB, which has the Apostolic Blessing Sept, 128, 1970.

Quote:
{1:28} And coming to her,
he said, Hail, favoured one, the Lord is with you.

I will be happy to take those Bibles from you.
 
I’m not sure what I think on the issue of whether they should be destroyed or not because they’re not Catholic. I’m tilting to the side of giving them to someone who needs a bible. I personally use the NIV and have the 7 missing chapters in another book. True, there may be inaccuracies but a protestant bible could do a lot of good in the hands of someone who needs to hear the word. I think we can all agree on that. Hmmm, maybe not.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that years ago when my Episocopalian grandfather passed away he left some bibles. They were in very bad shape from water damage, attic heat and just being very old. Funny, at the time I didn’t even know there was a difference in bibles. But I called my parish priest about how to dispose of them. He said there was no correct or specific way of disposing them. But if I wanted to be reverent I could either bury or burn them.

So I’ll pray that if you destroy them that nobody is missing out on a chance to hear our Lord’s words. I’ll also pray that if you give them away that any subtle inaccuracies won’t lead someone down the wrong path.
 
Just a suggestion. You may have a jail or prison near you. If so, if the Bibles are in good condition, un-marked and not personalized, contact the protestant chaplain there. They will be put to good use.
Someone left a King James in the pamphlet rack at church. The family across the street from me [non-Catholic] is quite devote and homeschooling their children. They were grateful for an extra bible.
Donate them to the Salvation Army.
All good suggestions. (I lean toward Sally Ann).
If I may add one more idea: Take them to a public library. They will either sell them (for 25-50 cents), or will put them on the “free books” shelf.
In either case, they will go to someone who may not have a Bible at all, nor any means to purchase one.
 
Ya just give them to a faith based thrift shop. A bible is better than no bible at all (except for the New World Translation – JW) For some, it requires baby steps to the Lord rather than the full brunt of Catholicism. It’s not competely accurate (even C.S. Lewis couldn’t make the jump), but it could be start for somebody. I doubt any ill would come to just giving them away (short of as some have suggested propagating error).

Of course I could be wrong… heh heh (I think this will be my new catch phrase)

emp
 
Ya just give them to a faith based thrift shop. A bible is better than no bible at all (except for the New World Translation – JW) For some, it requires baby steps to the Lord rather than the full brunt of Catholicism. It’s not competely accurate (even C.S. Lewis couldn’t make the jump), but it could be start for somebody. I doubt any ill would come to just giving them away (short of as some have suggested propagating error).

Of course I could be wrong… heh heh (I think this will be my new catch phrase)

emp
Of course you could be right too. 👍 I think you are.
 
No, Thomas is right on… Let me give you an example of a fairly inocuous change standard to protestant bibles:

Matthew 6:12-13 KJV

It has been shown, through good scholarship, that the underlined and italisied portion is mistakenly included in perhaps every protestatn (only) version of the bible. The Doxology was added in the notes to a particular version of the Gosple of Matthew, protistant scribes mistakenly thought it was a part of the actual document and mistakenly included it.

So right there, the Lords prayer has been altered. Now let me show you a more problematic example.
Interesting. I didn’t know the NAB had excluded that portion. Still, it’s not like it was altered by protestants. It’s some manuscripts in the transmission tradition that included it, leading to it’s inclusion in many english translations. And, no, all protestant bibles don’t include it (NET, ESV, NIV, NLT, NRSV [not strictly protestant]), and many include it but mark it with a footnotne (NASB, HCSB)

THanks for the note though 🙂
 
Pope Pius XII says text critical (higer and lower) methods are fine for interpretation and translations

(vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_30091943_divino-afflante-spiritu_en.html)
The Encyclical of Pope Pius XII promotes Biblical studies to those enjoying peace and communion with the Apostolic See. The Pope of the Catholic Church is a very good source for Authority and Interpretation.
Yet the question has still not been answered unless you are referring to the CATHOLIC CHURCH .
 
So I have about a dozen of them and will only keep two (sentimental reasons) now that I am becoming Catholic. Where can I sell or give them away?
Hello Jotobo,

First off welcome back home! Secodly since you are aware of the error in the Protestant Canon I would not recommend circulating those books among anyone who would like the fullness of the scriptures. Since your going to keep some for sentimental reasons I would recommend burning the ones that remain unused. The other thing you could do is keep them for teaching the difference between Catholic and Protestant Bibles. I would not circulate them though and if we are going to give Bibles to prisoners let’s give them the entire Bible which can only be found in the Catholic Canon.

God Bless
 
The Encyclical of Pope Pius XII promotes Biblical studies to those enjoying peace and communion with the Apostolic See. The Pope of the Catholic Church is a very good source for Authority and Interpretation.
Yet the question has still not been answered unless you are referring to the CATHOLIC CHURCH .
I see I will only be speaking for myself when I say this, but, when it comes to translations and inerpretation I will be convinced by sound arguments/reasons and good hermeneutics. If it happens to be a Roman Catholic making the best argument, then great. I’m actually reading a 4 volume series right now by Fr. John Meier out of the Univ of Notre Dame. He, for example happens to be an ordained priest making really good arguments, but it’s not his status as priest or RC member that is convincing. It’s the fact that he has put time and effort in to develop the skills required to be a good translator and interpreter and he applies those and makes good arguments. So, I understand that some people don’t have a problem being convinced just because of an office held by someone or status achieved by someone, but I think I plan on continuing to use sound reasoning and good hermeneutics and will continue to be convinced by those things. I understand if someone puts more weight on authority rather than those sorts of things though. Best wishes.🙂
 
I see I will only be speaking for myself when I say this, but, when it comes to translations and inerpretation I will be convinced by sound arguments/reasons and good hermeneutics. If it happens to be a Roman Catholic making the best argument, then great. I’m actually reading a 4 volume series right now by Fr. John Meier out of the Univ of Notre Dame. He, for example happens to be an ordained priest making really good arguments, but it’s not his status as priest or RC member that is convincing. It’s the fact that he has put time and effort in to develop the skills required to be a good translator and interpreter and he applies those and makes good arguments. So, I understand that some people don’t have a problem being convinced just because of an office held by someone or status achieved by someone, but I think I plan on continuing to use sound reasoning and good hermeneutics and will continue to be convinced by those things. I understand if someone puts more weight on authority rather than those sorts of things though. Best wishes.🙂
Sacred Scripture is a defence of the faith. “Apologetics”
Perhaps you should explore Non- Catholic religions. God Bless
 
Sacred Scripture is a defence of the faith. “Apologetics”
Perhaps you should explore Non- Catholic religions. God Bless
I’m not sure what that comment was supposed to accomplish.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top