L
Lui
Guest
I have 3 bibles that are all in German. I want to get a bible in English now. Which bible would a Catholic American get?
But which would be the standard Catholic bible for Americans? Here in Germany there is a standard Catholic bible.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/616/keywords/douay/
There is the Douay linked above, for fidelity.
I also like the Knox Bible which is flowing and unusually easy to understand.
There is also the Jerusalem Bible.
As always the commentary with the latter two, your mileage will vary as to fidelity depending on the edition.
Thanks.You can hardly go wrong with the four I have mentioned above!Go for it!
While you may not like it, the NAB is the translation officially used at Mass in the United States.I canāt recommend the newer editions of the NAB which have been criticized a good deal in high places and I wouldnāt call it standard.
The New Jerusalem is not the same as the old Jerusalem Bible, though it is very free flowing to read and of course the usual modern commentary problems.
My dear friendI have 3 bibles that are all in German. I want to get a bible in English now. Which bible would a Catholic American get?![]()
Well, I actually partly grew up in Queens, New York. My family moved to Germany when I was in High School so I would consider myself as a native English speaker which is why I wanted to finally get a Bible in English. Even though my English and German are about the same, I prefer to read the Bible in English, donāt ask me why.When the Vatican issues documents in English, it uses the Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition. Although it is not the translation used in the Mass in the USA, it is approved for liturgical use and is used that way in English-speaking islands in the Caribbean. Canada uses the New Revised Standard Version but they got it in by playing fast and loose with the rules. The rest of the English-speaking world uses the Jerusalem Bible.
Since I am assuming that you are not a native English speaker, I would recommend the New Jerusalem Bible. It is probably the most readable Catholic version available today. It does have a minimal amout of inclusive language in it but not that much and itās innoffensive where used. The (old) Jerusalem Bible isnāt bad but the NJB corrects some translation errors it contains.
I would stay away from the Douay-Rheims. The language is very archaic and not particularly easy for a native English speaker.
Which German translations do you recommend?
Gary
what do you think so far of the NJBWell, I actually partly grew up in Queens, New York. My family moved to Germany when I was in High School so I would consider myself as a native English speaker which is why I wanted to finally get a Bible in English. Even though my English and German are about the same, I prefer to read the Bible in English, donāt ask me why.
Like I mentioned I actually did get the New Jerusalem Bible at the end because I didnāt like the fact that the NAB was fully illustrated.
In Germany Catholics use the āEinheitsübersetzungā which is the standard Roman Catholic version.