Which Catholic doctrines are currently being challenged by emerging christianity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter grannymh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
TO ANSWER YOUR APPEAL:

The doctrine being challenged by big tent is the foundation. Jesus Christ is Lord.
Such a simple answer; yet, so completely complex.

Would it be possible to pick one or a handful of doctrines which surround the Second Person of the Holy Trinity?
 
Chaos is a possibility

I keep reading posts that such and such is true about God and Jesus Christ because such and such person said such and such. It is like a wonderful community picnic or pot luck where everyone brings their own opinions about Catholic teachings and who cares if some crumbs fall to the ground. Everyone is in fellowship with each other.

Sharing sandwiches – that is the primary importance.
We do that all the time when we quote a saint, pope etc. Someone has told us who God is, finding him for oneself can be a life time commitment, and having an opinion seems to be uncomfortable and wrong for some. But if we never challenge what we are taught we can never gain our own relationship with God, IMO 👍
 
Referencing that site here is akin to using wikipedia for your thesis paper:p
Stepping aside, there are a few interesting gems. For example, if the mind needs “communion” over “answers”, that opens up the possibility of chaos. If answers give one a sense of control, then what happens when there are people with different answers in communion with each other. Are we suppose to put answers on the back burner? Because the soul is intellective, wouldn’t there be a natural curiosity for answers?

From referenced *National Catholic Reporter *ncronline.org/news/faith-parish/unformed-future
Rohr said Rahner believed “the mind’s deepest need is not for answers, but for communion. That might seem surprising and maybe even soft theology,” he said, “but the mind and ego want answers, answers, answers because it gives you a sense of control. The soul doesn’t want answers, it wants meaning.”
 
Stepping aside, there are a few interesting gems. For example, if the mind needs “communion” over “answers”, that opens up the possibility of chaos. If answers give one a sense of control, then what happens when there are people with different answers in communion with each other. Are we suppose to put answers on the back burner? Because the soul is intellective, wouldn’t there be a natural curiosity for answers?

From referenced *National Catholic Reporter *ncronline.org/news/faith-parish/unformed-future
Rohr said Rahner believed “the mind’s deepest need is not for answers, but for communion. That might seem surprising and maybe even soft theology,” he said, “but the mind and ego want answers, answers, answers because it gives you a sense of control. The soul doesn’t want answers, it wants meaning.”
I’m afraid I don’t follow your question here, or what you’re trying to get at. My comment was aimed at the fact that the National Catholic Reporter is a known heterodox publication not in communion with the Catholic Church on several major issues. They are not a good source from which to derive what the Church believes and teaches.
 
That would be my question also ---- to the point that I would question the validity or benefits of any proposals classified as “emerging Christianity”. Christianity “emerged” 2000 years ago.
“Emerging Christianity” is a polite way of saying “diverging Christianity”.
 
“Emerging Christianity” is a polite way of saying “diverging Christianity”.
Good description. One of the first ideas that I read implies that a “diverging Christianity” is or should be acceptable within the Catholic Church.
 
I’m afraid I don’t follow your question here, or what you’re trying to get at. My comment was aimed at the fact that the National Catholic Reporter is a known heterodox publication not in communion with the Catholic Church on several major issues. They are not a good source from which to derive what the Church believes and teaches.
Thank you for asking for a clarification.

Yes, I know about the National Catholic Reporter being a known heterodox publication not in communion with the Catholic Church. Therefore, that would be a good background source for some of the current attacks on Catholic doctrines.

Recently, I have been reading some rather strange personal observations about the Catholic Church. In the spirit of investigative journalism, I did some research and cross-checking references. The National Catholic Reporter article is a pure gift because I recognized the language that looks appealing, but in reality there is the permission that lay people can downgrade or set aside doctrines at their discretion. There is the implication that doctrines as “answers” are not what is really needed in a church.

Please take a look at the link’s paragraph which begins with
“I hope whatever emerging Christianity is,” said Franciscan Fr. Richard Rohr, a featured speaker at the conference, “it’s going to be much more practice-based than doctrine-based. …

In my childhood neighborhood, “more practice-based” meant taking civil responsibility seriously. This meant that the first Catholic ran for a major position in the local government. Today, it can mean getting public shelter for the homeless in winter. Getting "more practice-based is a good thing. What is not good is the hint that some doctrines should lose their importance because they seem irrelevant to the practice-based needs.

What I sense is that there is a loss of the balance of *both *practice and doctrines.

This thread’s title is a question because I would like to know if other people are seeing the same dangers of the “big tent” that I am seeing. Most likely other people would be able to describe the dangers in more understandable ways. I hope people will continue with post 21.

I feel bad that I probably did not give a good explanation as to why we need to look at
heterodox writings wherever they appear so that “understanding” them will help us defend our beliefs.
 
Chaos is a possibility

I keep reading posts that such and such is true about God and Jesus Christ because such and such person said such and such. It is like a wonderful community picnic or pot luck where everyone brings their own opinions about Catholic teachings and who cares if some crumbs fall to the ground. Everyone is in fellowship with each other.

Sharing sandwiches – that is the primary importance.
Were you able to watch/listen to the video from post #13?

Is the Priest to be regarded as a bona fide heretic in this day and age? What I hear from him is a refreshing way to understand our faith.
 
Were you able to watch/listen to the video from post #13?

Is the Priest to be regarded as a bona fide heretic in this day and age? What I hear from him is a refreshing way to understand our faith.
Calling someone a bona fide heretic is not allowed here.
 
Were you able to watch/listen to the video from post #13?

What I hear from him is a refreshing way to understand our faith.
I started the video and then stopped, because my mind was cluttered with questions coming from the video’s title “Alternative Orthodoxy”.

What is he proposing? Are his proposals connected with another priest I read about a few years back? Is he proposing an acceptable understanding or is he creating a proposal in tune with our “modern” obsession to update, that is, alter some Catholic doctrines?

Your “What I hear from him is a refreshing way to understand our faith” is having a calming effect on my cluttered mind. Refreshing our faith sounds great!

“Refreshing” sounds great until one reads the title of the conference in the article from the National Catholic Reporter. ncronline.org/news/faith-parish/unformed-future

The conference title is “Emerging Christianity: How We Get There Determines Where We Arrive.” And a featured speaker is Father Richard Rohr.

Everyone – Stop what you are thinking about the connection. Please keep an open mind.

Most likely, there can be plenty of good truths in Father Rohr’s talk at the conference. I am sure that some are urgently needed because we live in a secular world which puts Christianity per se on the back burner. Most of us need to get off our arse.

That being said, in addition we need to discern which Catholic doctrines are possibly being sidestepped and/or challenged.

Because of the Sacrament of Holy Orders, we respect our priests. Unfortunately, the reality is that priests, like ourselves, can fail in a variety of ways. As we pray for ourselves, we need to add prayers for our priests, including the one who serves as our diocesan Bishop and the one who serves as our Pope.

While we are on our knees, we should spend a bit of time with our eyes open.

P.S. I will get back to the video in post 13.
P.P.S. I think I now know what the title of the conference means --maybe.
 
I started the video and then stopped, because my mind was cluttered with questions coming from the video’s title “Alternative Orthodoxy”.

What is he proposing? Are his proposals connected with another priest I read about a few years back? Is he proposing an acceptable understanding or is he creating a proposal in tune with our “modern” obsession to update, that is, alter some Catholic doctrines?

Your “What I hear from him is a refreshing way to understand our faith” is having a calming effect on my cluttered mind. Refreshing our faith sounds great!

“Refreshing” sounds great until one reads the title of the conference in the article from the National Catholic Reporter. ncronline.org/news/faith-parish/unformed-future

The conference title is “Emerging Christianity: How We Get There Determines Where We Arrive.” And a featured speaker is Father Richard Rohr.

Everyone – Stop what you are thinking about the connection. Please keep an open mind.

Most likely, there can be plenty of good truths in Father Rohr’s talk at the conference. I am sure that some are urgently needed because we live in a secular world which puts Christianity per se on the back burner. Most of us need to get off our arse.

That being said, in addition we need to discern which Catholic doctrines are possibly being sidestepped and/or challenged.

Because of the Sacrament of Holy Orders, we respect our priests. Unfortunately, the reality is that priests, like ourselves, can fail in a variety of ways. As we pray for ourselves, we need to add prayers for our priests, including the one who serves as our diocesan Bishop and the one who serves as our Pope.

While we are on our knees, we should spend a bit of time with our eyes open.

P.S. I will get back to the video in post 13.
P.P.S. I think I now know what the title of the conference means --maybe.
Thanks.

Yes you will need listen to the video in order for you to take from it what you will. I think he is trying to bring an understanding of the cross and what it means, especially for people who may think of God as an angry deity that demanded the sacrifice of Jesus.
The term “Jesus became the Christ” was something I’d missed along the way. Granted I’ve never had teachings on our Catholic faith as in study, but learnt some from Mass and my own readings.
The internet has opened up so much information, one can get carried away! 😃

I look forward to your opinion/comments on the video. 👍
 
I wasn’t personally calling the priest a heretic.

Thanks for the link.
That is exactly why I made a general statement with no reference to a particular person or a particular article.

I simply answered your question with a serious caution. The caution is appropriate on CAF.

The link catholic.com/tracts/the-great-heresies

comes from another thread which is discussing heresies. Years ago, I attended a brief workshop on how old heresies are adapted today. As this thread develops, we may discover some old heresies which never seem to die. Personally speaking, some form of Arianism is an easy one to spot.
 
Thanks.

Yes you will need listen to the video in order for you to take from it what you will. I think he is trying to bring an understanding of the cross and what it means, especially for people who may think of God as an angry deity that demanded the sacrifice of Jesus.
The term “Jesus became the Christ” was something I’d missed along the way. Granted I’ve never had teachings on our Catholic faith as in study, but learnt some from Mass and my own readings.
The internet has opened up so much information, one can get carried away! 😃

I look forward to your opinion/comments on the video. 👍
Aside from the video, and going by the comments I have seen since landing on CAF, the way some people can handle the truths surrounding Original Sin is to claim that God is an awful [human] father.

Going back to post 5, Steve b comments that from what he has read, Emerging Christianity is a Protestant movement. Since some, not all, Protestant faiths no longer require the reality of a first founder of the human species, I doubt that they would be interested in the Catholic teachings on that first founder’s Original mortal Sin. On the other hand, some of the ideas of Emerging Christianity can be seen in those Catholic “movements” to update Catholicism.
 
From what I’ve read, it’s a protestant movement.

unfortunately there are too many uninformed poorly catechised Catholics. The results are, they are the first to get picked off with heretical movements.

That’s why our 1st pope gave this important warning. There’s no expiration date to this.

2 Pet 1:
3 His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. 5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. 8 For** if** you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins. 10 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

It’s no small matter that knowledge is 2nd on the list.
While there are definitely Protestant promoters of Emerging Christianity, have you ever come across some of the ideas in Catholic writings?

Since you said that there is no expiration date to 2 Peter, chapter 1, 😉
it is definitely a good idea to re-read it. 😃
 
While there are definitely Protestant promoters of Emerging Christianity, have you ever come across some of the ideas in Catholic writings?
Do you have examples for what you mean by “some of the ideas”?
g:
Since you said that there is no expiration date to 2 Peter, chapter 1, 😉
it is definitely a good idea to re-read it. 😃
There is no expiration to what Peter said there… Education in the faith is to be ever increasing as are the other attributes he mentions…
 
Does the Spirit come from Father and Son?
Catholic: Of course!
Orthodox: No way!
Emergent: Who cares?
 
Such a simple answer; yet, so completely complex.

Would it be possible to pick one or a handful of doctrines which surround the Second Person of the Holy Trinity?
Yes. All doctrine surrounds the Second Person, as he is the center of everything and there is nothing which does not surround him. For various reasons, all doctrine unique to the Roman Catholic Church, which is one holy, catholic and apostolic church, and has been called the Petrine Ministry, have been used as a points of entry in an assault on what I will call the Petrine Infrastructure, its people.

E.g. Jesus said that his purpose was to not lose any of what his father won for him. The assault uses “memory” of personal sin, which latter is forgiven through confession, to steal away members whom are not secure in their faith. They replace genuine absolution with a version of their own, and in this way call themselves truly catholic. The error hinges on a simple misunderstanding of what Jesus intended to Peter.
Once the person joins tent Church, which admittedly is still about the fundamentals of Jesus and cannot be called unholy, his conversion is not complete until he renounces his Catholicism, which if he did not renounce, would create problems for the theme that holds together the tent – anti catholicism. After all, so the detract-ionists reason goes, “If you are lost-with-us, then we are all lost by implication and never belonged to him.” You can see the problem for that doctrine. You are either with-us or against-us; which is true enough; but where are we to be found.
I personally think part of it is historical. The Catholic Church has been through the crusades and a long history of greatness in time. Some other congregations are a few years old, and possibly hunger for what they imagine are the earthly benefits of faith?
All the movies of knights in shining armor and the glory days of Rome (which had ended by the time of the conversion of Constantine?), the depictions of Roman soldiers in ancient times etc., have the power like all of history to provoke sensual fantasy.
The entire anti catholic movement is like a devil perpetuated hypnosis. It’s difficult to blame people who are unconscious of their motives.
True unity involves waking up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top