Which Catholic Prayers Book?

• Thread starter Thread starter Derffred
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Derffred

Greetings, I’m a converted catholic (raised American Baptist) who’s looking for a prayer book. Not a “How To” but one that’s a collection of catholic prayers. I’m finding that there are more of these than there are versions of the bible. What are some good prayer books? Please provide more than just a title if you would be so kind. Including a publisher, publican year, or preferribly the ISBN ( How to find the ISBN) ) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I use the “Daily Roman Missal” put out by Scepter Press.

You can get it from EWTN catalog…hope this helps.
I’m also a former Baptist and will celebrate 41 years in the Catholic Church Sept. 28th!

I use the Purgatorian Manual, put out by Catholic Men for Christ the King. It has spiritual readings for each day of the month, devotions, prayers, contemplations and ordinary prayers of a devout Catholic. It can be obtained through Our Lady of Lourdes Gifts, nelliesnook.itctv.com or by calling Jay or Judy Hudson, 817/446-7252, the cost is $10. The monks who print this book said the printing done in 2002 may be the last one due to the lack of devotion to the Poor Souls since Vatican II.
Yours in Christ,
myrtime
40.png
Derffred:
Greetings, I’m a converted catholic (raised American Baptist) who’s looking for a prayer book. Not a “How To” but one that’s a collection of catholic prayers. I’m finding that there are more of these than there are versions of the bible. What are some good prayer books? Please provide more than just a title if you would be so kind. Including a publisher, publican year, or preferribly the ISBN ( How to find the ISBN) ) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

40.png
amarikidd:
Support your favorite forum and buy this:

shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-B0134.html?L+scstore+zpbb1268ff38af38+1129440127

My Handbook of Prayers (scepter publishers) is so beat up my hubby rolls his eyes when I take it out of my purse. 🙂
This is also the one I use (though mine is not as beat up as yours, I’m sure). It comes in both a softcover or a beautiful bonded leather edition with gilded pages, wood-cut illustrations, and parchment-like pages. On many of the prayers, the facing page is in Latin. I don’t speak much Latin myself, but maybe it’s a good way to learn! 🙂

I have three that are my favorites:

My Favorite Prayers and Novenas, by Daughters of St. Paul, ISBN 0-8198-2664-2

Key of Heaven, which is an old prayer book (my grandmothers) and I’m not sure if it’s still available; originally printed by Catholic Book Publishing Co. 1940!

Come to Me in the Blessed Sacrament, by Missionaries of the Blessed Sacrament; www.ACFP2000.com
This one is awesome to use during Eucharistic Adoration, and is one that Mother Teresa carried with her always (there is a letter from her in the preface!) 👍

My absolute favorite is Catholic Book of Prayers edited by Maurus Fitzgerald, OFM and published by the Catholic Book Publishing Co.

The prayers in this prayerbook contain the traditional all-time favorites. Included are Common Prayers, Daily Prayers (morning, midafternoon, and evening prayers), prayers before and after Mass and Holy Communion, Confession: prayer before, examination of conscience, thanksgiving after, devotional prayers to the Blessed Trinity, God the Father, God the Son, prayers to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Holy Spirit, the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Rosary, prayers to various saints and for various needs, and a section on the Catholic Faith.

It has 255 pages, is 4x6x1/2 inches.

Amazon has it for $7.95. Here is the link:
amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0899429106/qid=1086504014/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2325694-5705441?v=glance&s=books

Take a look at the customer reviews on Amazon. It has five stars. It is an absolute classic and must-have! 👍

Ave Maria!
Amy 🙂

My favorite prayer book is The Gold Book of Prayers , put out by Queenship Publishing Co. It costs $3.50, and is available in Catholic bookstores. It has the Scriptural Rosary and many other prayers and devotions. My dh and I buy several at a time and give them to people. It’s a way of evangelizing others. I’m sure you could get it online too.

Peace,
Linda

Linda,

Your prayer book sounds so good (and inexpensive!), I’m going to buy it!

I did a Google search for it and found it on Spirit Daily for $3. I thought I would mention it if you and your husband buy a lot of them.

Here is the link:
spiritdaily.com/books.htm

Thanks for letting us all know about this prayer book!

Ave Maria!
Amy 🙂

I hold in my hand a small, leather-bound missal entitled “Blessed be God” published pre-Vatican II, which belonged to my father. If you have any chance to poke around used book stores, old Catholic charity or Salvation army stores, used books sales at old libraries…gosh, I don’t know where, but ANY of these pre-Vatican II prayer books are precious. There are many beautiful, poetic, deeply meaningful prayers I have never heard or seen in contemporary books.

A few samples:

“Prayer in Time of War”
O God, Who bringest wars to naught and shieldest by Thy power all who hope in Thee, overthrowing those that assail them, help Thy servants who implore Thy mercy, so that the fierce might of their enemies may be brought low and we may never cease to praise and thank Thee. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

“Prayer for Light”
May the Comforter Who proceedeth from Thee, O Lord, enlighten our minds, and even as Thy Son hath promised, may He lead us into all truth. Who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of hte same Holy Ghost forever and ever. Amen.

“Prayer for Chastity”
My Queen! My Mother! I give myself entirely to thee; and to show my devotion to thee, I consecrate to thee this day my eyes, my ears, my mouth, my heart, my whole being, without reserve. Wherefore, good Mother, as I am thine own, keep me, guard me, as thy property and possession. Amen.

(Try breaking your celibacy after saying THAT every morning! Good one for teenagers…?)

Finally, this is famous, but since we have so many converts, perhaps it may be new to them, and possibly even to younger Catholics. I hope I type it perfectly:

*** The Cardinal Newman Prayer! ***

Lead, kindly Light, amid the encircling gloom.
Lead Thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home.
Lead Thou me on!
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene, – one step enough for me.

I was not ever thus, nor pray’d that Thou
Shouldst lead me on.
I loved to choose and see my path, but now
Lead Thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will: remember not past years.

So long Thy power hath blest me, sure it still
Will lead me on.
O’er moor and fen, o’er crag and torrent, till
The night is gone;
And with the morn those angel faces smile
Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile.

One more, in closing, pretty much covers everything in a way!:

Grant, O Lord, to Your Church assurance of freedom and immunity from harm; give tranquility of order to all nations; make the earth resound from pole to pole with one cry: Praise to the Divine Heart that wrought our salvation: to it be glory and honor for ever! Amen.

40.png
amarikidd:
Support your favorite forum and buy this:

shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-B0134.html?L+scstore+zpbb1268ff38af38+1129440127

My Handbook of Prayers (scepter publishers) is so beat up my hubby rolls his eyes when I take it out of my purse. 🙂
The *Handbook of Prayers * is also my favorite book of prayers – I keep it in the pocket of my Bible case so it is always handy. I also keep the *Gold Book of Prayers * next to my bed – the scriptural Rosary in there is very good.

'thann

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Examination of Conscience in the *Handbook of Prayers * is excellent!

I really like the Gold Book of Prayers, too. I give it to all of our relatives receiving Sacraments, too.

Make sure you buy the Revised one that says Revised in the corner. These have the Luminous mysteries in the Scriptural Rosary. The last time I bought one, (last April for a confirmation gift) the store had the revised editions BEHIND the old version. I had to look for it.

In Christ’s peace and joy,

Robin L.

The Liturgy of the Hours is an awsome prayer book that breaks up every day into prayer times. Cloistered nuns/monks pray the LOH every three hours through the day and night but we lay-people have jobs and stuff so that’s not expected haha

A short version of the Liturgy of the Hours that is easy to use by even the most busy people is called, “Christian Prayer” and is only one volume. It takes you through each season in the Churhc day-by-day. Each “hour” contains psalms, short pslam-prayers, scripture readings, responsory prayers, intercession prayers, and canticles. You also have the option of the “Office of Readings” which are selections from the Bible or writings of Saints and Church Fathers.

This book can usually be found in Church bookstores and a guidbook that tells you what pages to read each day is published yearly. You can check it out on Amazon.com

The Byzantine Book of Prayer is a fabulous text companion for those seeking to enrich their Catholic prayer life with ancient, sacred prayers in use continuously by the faithful throughout the milleniums, since they were originally composed by the Church Fathers… words that are still intimately relevant today! It contains the typical morning prayers, evening prayers, prayers for specific intentions and occasions, prayers to specific saints, etc. and also includes the entire Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, both the priest and the congregational parts, should you ever have occasion to visit an Eastern Catholic Church.

Although it’s tough to find this book in your typical Catholic bookstore, it is available for $15.00 from the Byzantine Seminary Press…

byzantines.net/byzantinepress/

a pilgrim

I got one for my confirmation that I really love. It’s the best gift anyone’s ever given me. I’m learning to pray the rosary from it (it has the scriptural rosary in it, so I can finally figure out what it is I’m praying.) The name of the book is “An hour with Jesus” and it’s got wonderful prayers and meditations in it. It’s Queenship Publishing Company and the ISBN # is 1-57918-135-X. It’s a little book, I can’t imagine it’s more than a few dollars.

Prayers of Hope Words of Courge
By
Cardinal Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan

This is a great prayer book with short reflections and prayers that this saintly priest composed while in solitary confinement of a vietnamese prison for thirteen years. The prayers and reflections touch on a wide array of topics especially the Blessed Mother, the Holy Spirit, and living the Catholic life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back