Which for my wife?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ETEXAS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ETEXAS

Guest
Hello! New here my wife is getting ready to do RCIA!:)😃 I am a convert from Anglicanism, so I have some ā€œhandleā€ on Patristics. SO. I use the Navarre Bible, I am blessed to have the sets as well as the ā€œhandyā€ one volume NT, I was thinking of her, she is from a Baptist/Presbyterian background, our RCIA Director suggested she might be more comfortable with the Ignatius Study Bible, I have that in a Paperback, NT. So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts here, Sister K. thinks the Ignatius may be more approachable in it’s annotations though she understands why as a former Anglican, the Navarre was less ā€œforeignā€ to me. Welcome any thoughts!šŸ™‚ PAX ET BONUM.
 
Why not just get her the whole RSV-CE 2nd from Ignatius? It’s not like you guys can’t share. 😃
 
Why not just get her the whole RSV-CE 2nd from Ignatius? It’s not like you guys can’t share. 😃
LOL!šŸ™‚ Well that is not the issue. It is more of which is better for HER, I have the RSV ā€œIgā€ with annotations which she really needs at this point, so she needs some solid note/annotations the RSV CE has only (at this juncture…correct me if I am wrong the NT with annotations my understanding is the entire Bible with full annotations is a work in progress. " So…square 1 the "ig"v the ā€œNavā€.??? ANYONE Ferris (-:
 
Come on CAF folk!šŸ™‚ Help out a new member! No more opinions on this? Feed me…
 
what bible did she ā€œgrow up with?ā€ What bible version seems most ā€œbiblicalā€ to her? I would try to get the CAtholic version closest to that, especially for her private devotional use. If you are going to be doing bible study together you should both have the same translation, or if you are doing studies with a group, whatever version the parish uses. In RCIA she should at least have an inexpensive NAB which has the lectionary readings esp. the gospels. If she is accustomed to a contemporary English version, that is probably the one she would feel most comfortable with. If she prefers a more traditional version she will be most at home with the RSV-CE

Sounds like an opportunity for you both to have a fruitful discussion about how you read, study and pray with the bible in your individual ways.
 
what bible did she ā€œgrow up with?ā€ What bible version seems most ā€œbiblicalā€ to her? I would try to get the CAtholic version closest to that, especially for her private devotional use. If you are going to be doing bible study together you should both have the same translation, or if you are doing studies with a group, whatever version the parish uses. In RCIA she should at least have an inexpensive NAB which has the lectionary readings esp. the gospels. If she is accustomed to a contemporary English version, that is probably the one she would feel most comfortable with. If she prefers a more traditional version she will be most at home with the RSV-CE

Sounds like an opportunity for you both to have a fruitful discussion about how you read, study and pray with the bible in your individual ways.
Thanks. Well, she is used to the NIV, there is a Catholic NIV PSALTER I got one in Santa-Fe, but I don’t know that they make others…I think the RSV is a nice read, she will be given a NAB…frankly I am not to crazy about it’s annotations nor it’s English, (in fairness…NEITHER is my Priest! LOL. But…really I suppose in theory…she could read her NIV, and read annotations in either the ā€œNavā€ or ā€œIgā€ …the annotations being more sound in Doctrine (IMHO) …but therin the rub…she is from a more Protestan background than I as an Anglican, hence, I should rephrase my question as Both use the RSV text…for those familiar with both Study Bibles…which Annotations/Notes are ā€œeasierā€ Mea Culpa…this is really what I should have been steering too this whole time…I have Both…I have not read the Ignatius much simply as the Navarre layout is more crisp to my eyes, my wife (cough) 12 years younger…so less the issue:)
 
LOL!šŸ™‚ Well that is not the issue. It is more of which is better for HER, I have the RSV ā€œIgā€ with annotations which she really needs at this point, so she needs some solid note/annotations the RSV CE has only (at this juncture…correct me if I am wrong the NT with annotations my understanding is the entire Bible with full annotations is a work in progress. " So…square 1 the "ig"v the ā€œNavā€.??? ANYONE Ferris (-:
Well, that’s not entirely true. The Ignatius Study Bible has the entire new testiment finished and published in one book, with a ā€œconcise concordanceā€ at 166 pages. It is really useful.

I usually used the NIV when I was away from the Church, and I like the RSV-CE, but I really hate ā€œinclusiveā€ language which is less accurate to my mind. So the lack of inclusive language is one of the things I really like about it. Others may feel differently. šŸ™‚

Best wishes for your wife’s spiritual enrichment in RCIA!

–Jen
 
This is all about your biblical basis as head of household to decide for her what she should or should not read, because you are spiritually more in tune than she is?
Wait up. Just saw you were from Texas.
Sorry, don’t want to ā€œmess with Texasā€ and I can now understand.
I hope she has your approval on a text very soon, because no matter which one it is, sounds like you will interpret it for her also.
 
This is all about your biblical basis as head of household to decide for her what she should or should not read, because you are spiritually more in tune than she is?
Wait up. Just saw you were from Texas.
Sorry, don’t want to ā€œmess with Texasā€ and I can now understand.
I hope she has your approval on a text very soon, because no matter which one it is, sounds like you will interpret it for her also.
Wow. I’d just like to say in support of the OP that I didn’t read any of that in his post. The OP is anxious that his wife’s RCIA experience be as good as possible, and has his own preferences but said that he is trying to find what his wife would get the most out of.

He is taking the lead in this because he is already a Catholic convert and she isn’t. He is in a better position to judge the soundness of the doctrine of the annotations because he is a Catholic and she isn’t. And I have to say that although some of his comments were a little cryptic, as far as I understand them, I agree with his opinions on the annotations. It makes perfect sense to me, and didn’t sound sexist or anything, and making gratuitous comments about the state the OP lives in and claims about his future behavior (that are based on nothing at all that I can see) is not going to help anyone.

Good grief.

–Jen
 
Wow. I’d just like to say in support of the OP that I didn’t read any of that in his post. The OP is anxious that his wife’s RCIA experience be as good as possible, and has his own preferences but said that he is trying to find what his wife would get the most out of.

He is taking the lead in this because he is already a Catholic convert and she isn’t. He is in a better position to judge the soundness of the doctrine of the annotations because he is a Catholic and she isn’t. And I have to say that although some of his comments were a little cryptic, as far as I understand them, I agree with his opinions on the annotations. It makes perfect sense to me, and didn’t sound sexist or anything, and making gratuitous comments about the state the OP lives in and claims about his future behavior (that are based on nothing at all that I can see) is not going to help anyone.

Good grief.

–Jen
Good grief indeed for you to think that because she is not in the RCIA, she needs her husband to determine on a public forum what bible would be best for her.
And that the very fact he is in RCIA is putting him in a better position to what?
Let me ask you something.
Wouldn’t you think that the priest (hoping there is one in this mix) should be the one he should consult on such a sensitive matter considering there is a fragile state of change going on in the midst of their marriage?
If he can’t lead her as spiritual head of household to RCIA, then what makes you think he can force another thing upon her?
 
And that the very fact he is in RCIA is putting him in a better position to what?
My understanding was that the wife was about to start RCIA, but the OP was already received into the Catholic Church. I may have misunderstood.

Not sure what is so sensitive about asking advice about what Bible people recommend.

–Jen
 
My understanding was that the wife was about to start RCIA, but the OP was already received into the Catholic Church. I may have misunderstood.

Not sure what is so sensitive about asking advice about what Bible people recommend.

–Jen
Think about it some more and then maybe, just maybe you will see what I am saying. If not, fine also.
 
Well, that’s not entirely true. The Ignatius Study Bible has the entire new testiment finished and published in one book, with a ā€œconcise concordanceā€ at 166 pages. It is really useful.

I usually used the NIV when I was away from the Church, and I like the RSV-CE, but I really hate ā€œinclusiveā€ language which is less accurate to my mind. So the lack of inclusive language is one of the things I really like about it. Others may feel differently. šŸ™‚

Best wishes for your wife’s spiritual enrichment in RCIA!

–Jen
Read again, Jen.šŸ™‚ I said it has the entire NT ANNOTATED…not the OT yet…work in progress.šŸæšŸæšŸæ
 
Hello! New here my wife is getting ready to do RCIA!:)😃 I am a convert from Anglicanism, so I have some ā€œhandleā€ on Patristics. SO. I use the Navarre Bible, I am blessed to have the sets as well as the ā€œhandyā€ one volume NT, I was thinking of her, she is from a Baptist/Presbyterian background, our RCIA Director suggested she might be more comfortable with the Ignatius Study Bible, I have that in a Paperback, NT. So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts here, Sister K. thinks the Ignatius may be more approachable in it’s annotations though she understands why as a former Anglican, the Navarre was less ā€œforeignā€ to me. Welcome any thoughts!šŸ™‚ PAX ET BONUM.
When I first quickly scanned through the forum I had not yet had my morning coffee, and consequently initially mistook the title of your thread to be ā€œWitch for my wife?ā€ Although that would certainly make a very interesting thread discussion, I am glad to now discover my mistake.

I frequently use both the Navarre and the Ignatius Study Bible (I think they compliment each other very well). I think that you wife could only benefit from having the Ignatius Study Bible, and she may also appreciate the fact that it was co-written by Scott Hahn, a convert who shares your wife’s Presbyterian background.
 
When I first quickly scanned through the forum I had not yet had my morning coffee, and consequently initially mistook the title of your thread to be ā€œWitch for my wife?ā€ Although that would certainly make a very interesting thread discussion, I am glad to now discover my mistake.

I.
I also need to put my glasses on before reading thread titles
I thought maybe OP was choosing between two ladies on dating websites and wondering which to pursue, objective: marriage.

I would not spend a lot of money on a hard cover bible for her just yet, concentrate, if the parish does not give her one, on a low cost version of the translation they are using in her class, most likely the NAB, which is probably closest to the NIV with which she is familiar. I cannot recommend (for adults) any Catholic version of a Todays English Version or Good News type translation, except possible for those for whom English is a second language or who struggle with reading comprehension.
 
When I first quickly scanned through the forum I had not yet had my morning coffee, and consequently initially mistook the title of your thread to be ā€œWitch for my wife?ā€ Although that would certainly make a very interesting thread discussion, I am glad to now discover my mistake.

I frequently use both the Navarre and the Ignatius Study Bible (I think they compliment each other very well). I think that you wife could only benefit from having the Ignatius Study Bible, and she may also appreciate the fact that it was co-written by Scott Hahn, a convert who shares your wife’s Presbyterian background.
My wife thought that was funny! So…drum roll thanks for (name removed by moderator)ut …I gave her…the Ignatius Study!šŸ™‚
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top