Which image best represents Catholic religious life?

• Thread starter Thread starter Catholic29
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disregard my vote people, I meant to vote for the bottom one lol;)

The religious life should be one devoted to the Worship of God and doing His Will. Being willing to put yourself last (as it should be) and God always first.

The second photo reminds me of a “warm and fuzzy”, “i’m ok your ok”, 60’s style “love in” :eek: Beyond me why the church would even allow this sort of thing to take place.

What actually are they doing in the bottom image? Is that some kind of prayer or something? Even if so, I guess there’s nothing particularly wrong about it…just not my cup of tea (it kinda reminds me of those kids from Steubenville at the March for Life - they tended to pray in group hugs).

This group is somewhat interesting as it seems to be an inter-order association, they claim to be:
Comprised of Dominicans, Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon, bSisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Franciscans, Sisters of St.Joseph of Peace & Carondelet, Benedictines, Sisters of Providence, Ursulines, and Holy Names Sisters.
The only thing that seemed a little odd to me was this:
** . . seeking a deeper relationship with God, one another and the Earth?**
Our life of prayer is a journey to wholeness that encompasses a multitude of expressions: contemplation, liturgy of the hours, faith sharing, Eucharist, and a variety of other paths to God.
I wonder what these other “paths” are; and what do they mean by a “deeper relationship with the earth”?

I hope the no New Age goofiness has crept in up there. They seem to do pretty good work in the community. However, I do sense that ex-hippie vibe from their site, and that’s something that I really don’t relate to.

Netiehr one. I don’t think of relgious communities as interested only in supporting themselves, though they offer support for each others. I think of them more as contibuting in one way or another to the welfare of the world and its many souls; whether materially or through prayers. Both approach has its shares of struggles.

These photos seem like two extreme pictures of different types of communities only there for each other and ignorant of the people outside who need them. Or maybe they both represent communities praying for causes that help others, but I don’t find either one inspiring or representative of what religious life should be; only stereotypical of extremes.

mkw said:
[snip]
The religious life should be one devoted to the Worship of God and doing His Will. Being willing to put yourself last (as it should be) and God always first. . . .

I agree!

👍

The first image is beautiful & I don’t like the second image but neither one truly represents Catholic religious life.

Blessings,
Shannin

You can’t really compare the pictures any more than you could compare the top picture with a picture of a group of nuns eating breakfast together.

40.png
mtr01:
I hope the no New Age goofiness has crept in up there. They seem to do pretty good work in the community. However, I do sense that ex-hippie vibe from their site, and that’s something that I really don’t relate to.
Yes I believe it is new agey. Check out their events. I saw an enneagram workshop and lots of things relating to the whole mother earth new age lingo. I wouldn’t be surprised to see reikki workshops in there somewhere. This saddens me. Why can’t the bishops shut this stuff down?

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_113.gif

Netiehr one. I don’t think of relgious communities as interested only in supporting themselves, though they offer support for each others. I think of them more as contibuting in one way or another to the welfare of the world and its many souls; whether materially or through prayers. Both approach has its shares of struggles.
These photos seem like two extreme pictures of different types of communities only there for each other and ignorant of the people outside who need them. Or maybe they both represent communities praying for causes that help others, but I don’t find either one inspiring or representative of what religious life should be; only stereotypical of extremes.
The nuns in the top image are cloistered contemplatives, and they have a very long history and tradition in the Church. In Catholic theology prayer and work are just as important. They may not appear to be doing much good for the rest of us chanting and praying behind those walls, but therin lies the mystery of what spiritual fruits their total self-giving to the most high God offers to us all. And I am not downplaying the need for religious that feed the the poor, teach the illiterate, or care for the sick and aged. Contemplatives don’t stay in the monastery for the fun of it, it is a calling of the heart and more importantly of the Holy Spirit. I most certainly admire these women. Here is a further description of the contemplative life and what good there is in it newadvent.org/cathen/04329a.htm 👍

The habit and veil nuns wear are symbolic of their sacrifice of self, and also liberates them from maintaining a closet full of clothes or even to keep up their hair, to enable them to better focus on their internal life. A concept most religious sadly have lost in the wake of Vatican II for the supposed reason of accomadating modern times. But thank God the habit and veil has survived in many communities, and are NOT an impediment in their particular work nor in attracting new members. Here is a thread I started long ago on the subject of the habit forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=11769

As for the “nuns” in the bottom image, I am at a loss as to what their up to. Seems like some sort of new-age or charismatic weirdness happening, or a bizarre blending of the two, only they know I guess.:confused:

Thank you for your responses, and may God bless you.

Why are the real life Pagan practioners almost always frumpy, dumpy, lumpy and old? :confused:

I like my witches to look like Elizabeth Montgomery…or Alissa Milano… 😛

My two year old daughter, Anne Marie, saw both pictures at the same time. She gets all excited looking at the Poor Clare Nuns and yells “Jesus, look daddy, Jesus!” She continues her evangalization by pointed out Jesus to her 10 month old sister, “Rose, Jesus! See, Jesus, Rose.” Then, she reminded Jesus with her two fingers, “I’m two, two Jesus.” Her final act was making the sign of the cross.

http://www.religiouslife.com/images/pccdivof.gif

With tears in my eyes I responded, “Yes, Anne Marie, that is Jesus.”

St. Clare, pray for us and for holy vocations.

My two year old daughter, Anne Marie, saw both pictures at the same time. She gets all excited looking at the Poor Clare Nuns and yells “Jesus, look daddy, Jesus!” She continues her evangalization by pointed out Jesus to her 10 month old sister, “Rose, Jesus! See, Jesus, Rose.” Then, she reminded Jesus with her two fingers, “I’m two, two Jesus.” Her final act was making the sign of the cross.
With tears in my eyes I responded, “Yes, Anne Marie, that is Jesus.”
St. Clare, pray for us and for holy vocations.
:amen:

Awww, what a heart felt post. I too have tears in my eyes just reading it. And who knows, maybe your daughter will be one of those Poor Clares some day. Her heart certainly seems to be in the right place for a calling like that.

I will certainly pray for her 👍

Best represents religious life as it now is, or as it should or could be?

I went with the former, and picked the bottom image – it reminded me strongly of my own experiences with women religious. Nice people, faithful, hard-working, but prone to casualness and silliness.

Best represents religious life as it now is, or as it should or could be?
I went with the former, and picked the bottom image – it reminded me strongly of my own experiences with women religious. Nice people, faithful, hard-working, but prone to casualness and silliness.
I posted it with the latter in mind, but I agree most women religious today are prone to casualness and silliness.:rolleyes:

It is clear by all the latest trends and figures that orders with a more orthodox bent, such as those in the top picture, are dispraportionally attracting more new vocations. Such as the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia nashvilledominican.org and Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity.

While those represented in the lower picture are losing the most numbers, at the same time many of them gripe about not being allowed to become priests. One of the more tragic falls of such orders are the Sisters of St. Joseph of Corondelet CSJ, covered in these threads. forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=38727
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=38016&highlight=nuns

40.png
Catholic29:
As for the “nuns” in the bottom image, I am at a loss as to what their up to. Seems like some sort of new-age or charismatic weirdness happening, or a bizarre blending of the two, only they know I guess.:confused:
I certainly second Catholic29’s thoughts on the importance of contemplative prayer as a calling and as a service to the Church and the whole world. If one thinks of monastic life in utilitarian terms, the whole enterprise begins to look useless (as the English Reformation demonstrated:rolleyes:).
Besides, sanctifying the world is the primary duty of the laity not the monastics, as Vatican II pointed out.

As for the weirdness, i spent my college years in what has got to be the most liberal new-agey Newman Center in the country :banghead: (i won’t name it though, out of respect for fellow members of the Body) and i saw exactly the kind of thing pictured there all the time.😦 Everything was about “building community” and their version of “social justice,” as if being a Catholic was a purely political endeavor. When Christ’s presence in the People of God is emphasized to the point of excluding Christ’s total presence in the Eucharist, the result is always the same: Christ gets forgotten entirely in favor of worshipping the community itself.

I don’t even know if i could’ve remained a Catholic (i went through RCIA at that place!:bigyikes:) if it weren’t for a nearby college Newman club that was part of the Charismatic Renewal. So, i am all for the charismatic weirdness since it’s totally (even zealously) loyal to Rome.👍
Bleh this post was a bit of a digression, sorry.:o

Definitely the first photo!

However, I think the question should be more like: “What is the best representation of Catholic contemplative clositered religious life for women?” And then, “What is the best representation of Catholic active religious life for women?” - because they are both different calls from God. But definitely, the first one is a much better representation of true religious life for woman. The Institute for Religious Life, the webpage this picture of the Poor Clares in New Mexico came from, is a wonderful organization where you can find the true religious communities faithful to the Pope, to Our Blessed Mother, and the Holy Eucharist. I know that there are some religious communities that do not fit this criteria, and are becoming too much New Age, not centered on Christ in the Eucharist. But these communities don’t seem to be getting very many vocations as compared to the more Orthodox communities, like the Poor Clares. I know the Poor Clares of the Most Blessed Sacrament with Mother Angelica are full to their limit, 41 sisters, in their monastery at the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament. olamshrine.com/olam/the_nuns.htm
Other more Orothox communities are having the same “vocation problems” like the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. This would be a good represenation of Catholic active religious life for women. sistersofmary.org/

Also Bl. Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity or the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. http://franciscansisterscfr.com, are a good representation of Catholic active religious life for women.

40.png
serendipity:
Code:
          Actually, as [Fr. Corapi ](http://www.fathercorapi.com/)says, the contemplative religious life is the most active form of religious life. This is where the real dynamite takes place. It is hidden work in the order of calling down God's grace on the whole world, for the salvation of souls. He says there has been a heresy in the Church called "activism."

I see that you recognized that maybe they (I mean the Poor Clares in the first picture - I'm not sure about the second picture) are praying for causes that help others, but the salvation of souls, and calling down grace for the world, is a cause in itself, although they definitely also pray for all causes that help others.

St. Therese of the Child Jesus is patron of the Missions and she spent her whole religious life enclosed, as a Discalced Carmelite Nun. The cloistered contemplative life is definitely not a self-centered life. It is a self-giving life -  a self-offering or oblation for the love of Jesus to save souls. It is a difficult intense calling from God to leave the world in your heart and live only for God and His people through intercessory prayer and sacrifice.

Read Saint Faustina's *Diary* or *The Way of Divine Love*, by Sr. Josefa Menendez - then you'll understand the contemplative vocation better. Also, Sr. Consolata, with her "Unceasing Act of Love" Here's a link with information about her "Littlest Way" [http://www.monksofadoration.org/15.html](http://www.monksofadoration.org/15.html)

All the members of the Church actually are called to this contemplative life in fitting with their state in life, to advance in holiness, and the love of God, thus affecting the whole world in the order of grace. When Jesus gave us the new commandment to "love others as I have loved you," this was much deeper than simply active works of charity. It means an intense life of prayer and sacrifice that we may contribute to the salvation of souls - this is the whole meaning of the "co-redemptive" work to which all members of the Body of Christ are called. This is the "no greater love, than to give up one's life for a friend." The contemplative cloistered nun's or monk's life is entirely centered on this self-giving. I think in Heaven we will see how much this hidden work made great impacts on the whole world, even our own lives - I know mine for sure.
Jesus, Mary, I love you! Save souls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back