Which prophets Preached Where?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Augustine3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Augustine3

Guest
Is there a list or chart that shows which prophets (e.g. Jeremiah, Amos etc) of the old testament preached to the northern or southern kingdoms?

God bless,
 
Not a very common question. I’m interested to know why you ask.

Israel=10 tribes of the north
Judah=2 tribes (Judah and Benjamin) of the South
Other=Nations outside of Isreal/Judah

In order, oldest to newest…
  • Elijah… Israel
  • Elisha… Israel
  • Obadiah… Edom
  • Joel… Judah
  • Jonah… Assyria (City of Nineveh)
  • Amos… Israel
  • Hosea… Israel
  • Isaiah… Judah
  • Micah… Judah
  • Zephaniah… Judah
  • Nahum… Assyria
  • Jerimiah… Judah
  • Habukkuk… Judah
  • Baruch… Judah
  • Daniel… Exiles in Babylon
  • Ezekiel… Exiles in Bablyon
  • Haggai… Judah
  • Zechariah… Judah
  • Malachi… Judah
-Tim-
 
Awesome thanks very much!

Did you obtain this information from a particular source or did you just write it?

Like most Christians I’m more familiar with the new testament than the old and so I’ve made the decision to study more deeply the old testament. This kind of information will give me greater context in helping to understand the messages of the prophets.

God bless,
 
Awesome thanks very much!

Did you obtain this information from a particular source or did you just write it?

Like most Christians I’m more familiar with the new testament than the old and so I’ve made the decision to study more deeply the old testament. This kind of information will give me greater context in helping to understand the messages of the prophets.

God bless,
Dear Augustine, I find the Great Adventure Biblestudy by Jeff Cavins very helpfull to understand this. On the Bibletimeline chart of this Biblestudy there is also a detailed discription of Salvation history, prophets and the timeline following secular history and Bible history. This Biblestudy follows the narrative approach and helps you get the big picture of Salvation history, this approach is also how the Church Fathers interpreted Scripture and also Rabbinical sources. Plus this Biblestudy by Jeff Cavins is Catholic and in this study he also quotes the Cathechism of the Catholic Church and other Church documents.
After years of reading the Bible I came to understand the Bible much better and this study also prepares you for further study of the Bible.
I highly recommend this study, if you cannot afford to go to a seminar of this Biblestudy, this study is also being shown on EWTN tv and EWTN radio.

Peace, Andre
 
Guys – you’ve all been great and have provided more information than I was hoping for. God bless you all!
 
Dear Augustine, I find the Great Adventure Biblestudy by Jeff Cavins very helpfull to understand this. On the Bibletimeline chart of this Biblestudy there is also a detailed discription of Salvation history, prophets and the timeline following secular history and Bible history.
Hi something else I wanted to add. There is another series on EWTN that follows the same approach of studying the Bible. Its called ‘Our Fathers Plan’. You can watch this in EWTN live tv or order the DVD series on EWTN religious catalogue or the Great Adventure website.
Also you can buy the ‘Great Adventure’ Biblestudy from EWTN religious catalogue. I also have the student workbook of this study plus the chart. I highly recommend this. The seminar of Great Adventure is up to date and plus the Bible Timeline chart is awesome, I keep it in my Bible and helps me with questions of when prophets are speaking and to whom and to read Bible books in chronological order.

I’m doing both series for the second time so as to understand Salvation history better and how I can enter into this history as my own Salvation history.

I hope I didn’t give you to much information, but this subject is essential to the Christian life and I would like you to have this information also and maybe others on this forum can benefit of this.
Here are a few links to this Biblestudy. Hope this helps, Andre 👍

biblestudyforcatholics.com/catholic-bible/study-information/63/adult-resources-quick-journey-adventure

ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/OUR+FATHER+S+PLAN±+DVD/shop.axd/ProductDetails?keywords=our+fathers+plan+DVD&x=24&y=8&edp_no=8739

And if you can’t afford to buy Our Fathers Plan Biblestudy DVD or CD (like me), listen to the audio recordings for free:
ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?SeriesID=-306548622&T1=Scott+Hahn

ps. I have the ‘quick’ journey through the Bible of ‘The Great Adventure’ , also the CD sets are much cheaper then the DVD offcourse, if you have the student package you can easily follow the CD recordings. This study is also great for in the Parish or with a group of friends or a Christian friend so as to have a discussion partner and so get more out of this study.

For further Biblestudies by Scott Hahn and others, free of charge!:

salvationhistory.com/
 
Hi something else I wanted to add. There is another series on EWTN that follows the same approach of studying the Bible. Its called ‘Our Fathers Plan’. You can watch this in EWTN live tv or order the DVD series on EWTN religious catalogue ./
To order the chart and/or bookmark and Bible Timeline Memory Beads. (this is up to date and differs slightly to the original ‘Our Fathers Plan’ bible timeline . e.g. the color coding of the Timeline Memory Beads) :cool:

ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=our+fathers+plan+CD&x=13&y=4&page_no=2
 
Hi something else I wanted to add. There is another series on EWTN that follows the same approach of studying the Bible. Its called ‘Our Fathers Plan’. You can watch this in EWTN live tv or order the DVD series on EWTN religious catalogue ./
To order the chart and/or bookmark and Bible Timeline Memory Beads. (this is up to date and differs slightly to the original ‘Our Fathers Plan’ bible timeline . e.g. the color coding of the Timeline Memory Beads) :cool:

ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/shop.axd/Search?keywords=our+fathers+plan+CD&x=13&y=4&page_no=2

To order Quick Journey Through the Bible Biblestudy:

ascensionpress.com/shop/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=376
 
The information in post #2 came from the Great Adventure Bible Study: Bible Timeline by Jeff Cavins.

Mirroring comments by others, it was an amazing study for me. Starting the Gospel of Matthew by Jeff Cavins in Sept.

-Tim-
 
The chart helps me understand the historical context of the prophets, but I still have trouble with the style of the writing. I tried to write down a few ideas from the Catechism about the purpose of the prophets, but I’m still struggling. Any other tips? Thanks!
 
The only think I can really say is that Rabbi’s taught the Torah law while the propehts exhorted people to obey the law. The prophets were often very flamboyant, with Hosea even going so far as to marry a prostitute to illustrate how Israel has prostituted itself to the surrounding nations and their pagan gods. Often the prophets require someone who knows a little Hebrew as well as the geography and culture of ancient Israel to explain things.

The Bible Timeline by Jeff Cavins can’t be recommended enough. Jeff follows the 27 narrative (story telling) books of the Bible and explains how all the other books supplement the narrative books. Included in the supplemental books are most of the books of the prophets. The study spends significant time explaining where each prophet preached, who their audience was, what their particular message was, and how it points us toward Christ.

I strongly urge a search for a parish in your area which is offering it the Jeff Cavins study, picking up the DVD and study guides used on eBay, or approaching your parish leadership about starting this study. Perhapse God is calling you to lead a Bible study?

If you happen to be in the Atlanta northern suburbs, send me a PM as I have facilitated this study for a group of six men in my home.

-Tim-
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top