Which Protestant groups have Ash Wednesday services?

• Thread starter Thread starter Tommy999
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the church where we had our son baptised had a Glitter Ash Wednesday service today, where they mixed glitter into the palm ashes. That’s a C of E church for what it’s worth.
COE is heading down the modernity trajectory, it’s one thing to follow ancient tradition, it’s another thing to modify tradition. I can’t really tell whether it’s better to follow a modified tradition or not at all, but this is why I got my ashes in a catholic church, even though I am a confirmed anglican in COE.
I was listening to EWTN radio this morning and they were talking about glitter Ash Wednesday…apparently it’s to do with those showing solidarity with the LGBTQ community
Yeah, the COE is pretty liberal these days, with LGBTQ and many other issues. There is increased outflow of people either to evangelical non-denominational churches or to catholicism/orthodoxy.

I’ve never heard of a Reformed monastery! Lutheran or Anglican yes…
I’m a convert to Catholicism… I was raised evangelical protestant (in the North American sense of the term - not Lutheran!) and the whole idea of monasticism was foreign to us… dismissed at best, rejected and condemned at worse.

I think it really is a phenomenon which concerns that part of Reformed protestantism which is timidly trying to reconnect with its Catholic roots (such movements exist, at least in France and francophone Switzerland).

We do have a few Reformed monasteries I know of in francophone Europe. They are exclusively feminine though. Protestant men with a monastic vocation do not have many options outside Taizé or the ecumenically-welcoming monastery of Bose in Northern Italy. Some become hermits, like Daniel Bourguet, who is a well-known spiritual writer in French-speaking Reformed circles.

We conduct Ash Wednesday services with application of ashes. This is pretty uniform throughout my denomination (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod), and throughout the other conservative synods in the US (WELS, ELS).
The ELCA does, too.

I had to miss the Shrove Tuesday pancake supper. Got a cold.

And 'ware the generalizing. Anglo-Catholics and mid-range Anglicans will be doing Ashes. And I’ll bet I can find some on the reformed side, ditto.
Hope you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back