Not open for further replies.
[/quote]

Hi Apologia -

Secular Order of the Carmelites . . . see Marys Lambs’ post also 🙂

40.png
DBT:
Hi Apologia -

Secular Order of the Carmelites . . . see Marys Lambs’ post also 🙂
Can I stat a secular order of the Jesuits?

40.png
Apologia100:
Can I stat a secular order of the Jesuits?
Most of the major Orders have lay affiliations (i.e. Secular Orders/Third Orders) but I’m not aware of anything for the Jesuits.

I’m not sure if you’re asking about “starting” a secular order . . . but the only ones who can do that is the Order themselves. The Order, for example the Carmelites, establish a Rule Of Life that its members must follow (Religious or Secular). Each Order has a special charism or mission. In the case of the Carmelites, it’s to give contemplatives to the Church.

Not sure if this answers your question . . . but hope it helps some. 👍

Say what?? I don’t understand any of this. I go to Mass and read the CCC. How does one get into these spiritualities?

caroljm36,
Say what?? I don’t understand any of this. I go to Mass and read the CCC. How does one get into these spiritualities?
They are referring to their particular spiritual direction. For many, their spiritual direction comes simply from their parish pastor. However, others tend toward favoring the writings and spiritual exercises of historical Catholic figures such as St. Francis DeSales or St. Ignatius Loyola, or one of many number of Catholic religious orders (CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Carmelite , CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Jesuits, CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Franciscan , etc. see here catholic-church.org/cid/religious.html)

40.png
caroljm36:
Excellent question, as good as the one that started the thread.

If I am to classify myself I would say I’m a simply sentry in the army of the Church Militant, standing on the walls, keeping an eye out for the a sneak attack by the enemy. I must admit, I’ve fallen asleep at my post before on a couple of occasions, but I confessed and was forgiven.

The King once in awhile walks the ramparts and visits the troops. I fall on my knees in adoration when He is present. Otherwise it can be lonely sometimes, but I know He is there on His throne, in charge, and I have a job to do.

I guess maybe my orientation is like that of Theresa of Avila and her convent. She was a into “doing” not so much “being”. She didn’t seek out a state of contemplation, but considered it her job and the job of the other nuns to focus their prayers for a purpose, for the souls of those around and for the strength of the Church. The protestants were creating mayhem at the time, and to her and others, the world and the future looked rather grim.

Personally, I always thought that was the point of any spiritual regimen or rule, that it had a definite purpose, to aid the Church in some way, to pray for souls, to sacrifice for the sake of others and the sake of the good of the Church. The solitary life of a monk, for example, frees that person from many of the cares of the ordinary life of a lay person, jobs, careers, family and so forth so that they can focus on the “work” of intercession for the rest of us. So it is not a state of “being” but a “doing.”

caroljm36,
Keep doing what you are doing, and as we were exhorted by St.Paul, I believe, pray without ceasing. We can all do that, without identifying with a particular group. And if God wants you to become part of one order or another at some point, He will put it right in front of you. In the meantime, for the sake of curiosity, you might do some internet research, or read some of the information that I’m sure many on this thread are willing to mention.

It is amazing, when you keep asking God to guide you, and you keep reading the CCC and the Bible, and keep praying for the well being of other people, for their souls primarily, and you keep giving up yourself to God waiting for Him to direct you, before long you are a very spiritual person. As you forget about yourself and concentrate on God and others around you, you are fulfilling what Jesus said were the first and second most important commandments, and He loves that attitude and one day will surprise you with a blessing you weren’t seeking or expecting. And you will burst into tears of joy because you know He loves you, and hasn’t forgotten you at all.

Wow!!
Code:
Well, I'm curious.
I know St. Ignatius of Loyolas’ Spiritual Exercises is like “his” book. What would be a good book by Francis Assissi?

Also, I suppose “Monfortian” would be after the tradition of St. Louise de Monfort who wrote Trude Devotion to Mary.

Even though I’m not Catholic, I am aware that these are not “different denominations” of Catholicism that are being followed. I realize that, in part at least, it’s different people’s approaches to being humble and obedient before God, frames of mind to cultivate, and particular exercises to go through to cultivate spiritual strength. Not like, being a Buddhist, or Taoist or anything. All within the teaching of the Catholic faith.

Here is the homapage to the

Montfortian Religious family. There are religious orders and lay associates and also some simple folk like me who just follow the True Devotion to Mary. The Monfortians have a unique mission and are fully recognized and endorsed by the Church. So are the other “spiritualities” mentioned in this thread.

Well I guess I haven’t done a very good job describing the Secular Orders!

Secular Orders are for those lay people who feel called to the particular charism of one of the monastic orders. The “call” goes beyond a general affinity for the Saints and traditions of that Order. For example, many people are drawn to the writings of St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross. Some even wear the brown scapular. But that doesn’t necessarily mean they want to become a Secular Carmelite. A Secular is someone who feels “called” to make a Promise to live the Rule of Life specific to that Order. It is a life of intense spirituality lived in a lay setting.

I’ve come across probably 8-10 Secular Carmelites in various threads on this forum. I’ve seen a similiar number of Secular Fransicians and some Benedictines as well. Some of these people have posted on this thread.

This is a link to the Secular Carmelites that another member on this forum gave me. While it is specific to Australia, it provides a good overview to what it is like to be a Secular in the tradition of Carmel:

www.carmelite.com/ocds/

Hope this explains things a little better 👍

40.png
DBT:
Most of the major Orders have lay affiliations (i.e. Secular Orders/Third Orders) but I’m not aware of anything for the Jesuits.

I’m not sure if you’re asking about “starting” a secular order . . . but the only ones who can do that is the Order themselves. The Order, for example the Carmelites, establish a Rule Of Life that its members must follow (Religious or Secular). Each Order has a special charism or mission. In the case of the Carmelites, it’s to give contemplatives to the Church.

Not sure if this answers your question . . . but hope it helps some. 👍
The point is, before St. Ignatius, there were no Jesuits. So he started the order. Same with the Franciscans, Benedictines, Carmelites, Augustinians, Trappists, etc… They all STARTED with someone who developed the rules of the order. Why can’t I?

40.png
Apologia100:
The point is, before St. Ignatius, there were no Jesuits. So he started the order. Same with the Franciscans, Benedictines, Carmelites, Augustinians, Trappists, etc… They all STARTED with someone who developed the rules of the order. Why can’t I?
I guess I misunderstood what you were asking . . . and I’m still not sure. I thought you were asking if you could set up a Secular Order of the Jesuits.

The Jesuits may or may not have a Secular Order . . . I just don’t know. However, I am sure that this type of organization would have to be established and administered directly by the Jesuits for it to be considered “Jesuit.”

I just finished reading St. Therese’s Story of a Soul and I feel very attracted to her spirituality of doing little things with great love.

I think that is in the falling in love with God, surrender of our will and offering up our everyday sacrifices that one can become a saint. I do not know if that spirituality has a specific name though.

40.png
RosaLydia:
I just finished reading St. Therese’s Story of a Soul and I feel very attracted to her spirituality of doing little things with great love.

I think that is in the falling in love with God, surrender of our will and offering up our everyday sacrifices that one can become a saint. I do not know if that spirituality has a specific name though.
It’s Carmelite spirituality 🙂

St. Therese of Liseaux is one of the three Carmelite Doctors Of the Church.

Dear All,

Could anyone recommend a good book on the life of Saint Francis, I would like to learn more about the fransican spirituality and also, are there any good books out there on Saint Clare of Assisi?

Thank you All,
IN the Love of the 2 Hearts,
Kaily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back