white wine?

• Thread starter Thread starter Philomena
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Philomena

hi everyone…I’m very new at this forum, and am very excited about it.
Recently, at a Mass in Florida, I noticed the wine used was white wine. Since I was sitting next to a deacon friend, I asked him if the wine shouldn’t be red. He said it’s the ‘fruit of the vine’ so it’s valid. I’m pretty sure he is wrong. What’s the story?

Wine must be made from grapes. White wine is made from grapes. White wine is valid matter…And more refreshing in the summer…when chilled.

White wine is perfectly valid matter for the Mass. At one parish I attend red wine is used; at another white wine. In my more cynical moods I wonder if unpalatable red wine is used at parishes where the Chalice is offered to the laity in order to discourage the Hussites. 😉

In my experience, the red wine used is always unpalatable. I chalk it up to the fact that a bottle (or probably jug!) has to last many days before a new bottle is opened.

I wonder if there are any priests out there who use semi-drinkable wine?

40.png
Ham1:
In my experience, the red wine used is always unpalatable. I chalk it up to the fact that a bottle (or probably jug!) has to last many days before a new bottle is opened.
Could be . . . I don’t think most Catholic parishes are using fortified wine (sherry, port, madiera) any more. (The Anglicans still do – sherry or port, I think.)
I wonder if there are any priests out there who use semi-drinkable wine?
If I made a habit of receiving from the Chalice, I think I would look for a parish that used a riesling. 😉

Riesling…if chilled that would be nice in the morning.

I don’t receive under both species normally. Our parish only offer communion under one species…And it’s NOT a latin mass!..And the pastor is about 36 or so!

I wonder if fortified wine is valid matter? I suppose it would be provided that the added alcohol is distilled from grapes. It would make sense to fortify, that way the wine would last longer before becoming vinegar and being invalid matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back