D
DavidFilmer
Guest
I know that, for most of Christian history, the Bible was not divided into chapters and verses the way it typically is today.
I believe the original purpose for this division was an aid to typesetters (once the printing press had been invented). But I can’t discern how this would have been helpful - some verses are long, and some are short (likewise with some chapters). It seems kinda random.
Anyway, what I’m really wondering about is WHO came up with the system we use today. It seems to be fairly universal in both protestant and Catholic Bibles, regardless of the translation. And I’m pretty sure it extends to many (if not most/all) non-English Bibles as well.
Who came up with the system we use today?
Thanks!
I believe the original purpose for this division was an aid to typesetters (once the printing press had been invented). But I can’t discern how this would have been helpful - some verses are long, and some are short (likewise with some chapters). It seems kinda random.
Anyway, what I’m really wondering about is WHO came up with the system we use today. It seems to be fairly universal in both protestant and Catholic Bibles, regardless of the translation. And I’m pretty sure it extends to many (if not most/all) non-English Bibles as well.
Who came up with the system we use today?
Thanks!