Who can pray for you in purgatory?

• Thread starter Thread starter just_ducky
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

just_ducky

I know the people in purgatory depend on our prays down on earth to help them get out of purgatory, but can the people in heaven pray for them too? Thanks

First of all, may I recommend a book called Purgatory Explained by the Lives and Legends of the Saints. by Fr. F.X. Schouppe, SJ Tan Books And Publishers, Inc.

I remember reading in several places in the book that your Guardian Angle is with you while you are in Purgatory. That is very comforting to know.

Try to look at from a “family of God” point of view. We are joined together as family by the blood of Christ. We become adopted children of God. So, whether we are in heaven, on earth, or in purgatory we are still brothers and sisters in the Lord. So, if one of my family members is suffering, even though I know the suffering is beneficial to them, I would be praying for them to see it through.

Hope that helps
Kevin

Hi “JustDucky”. There are three states of the Church of Christ:

The Church Militant (earthbound souls like you and I). We need all the prayer and grace we can get. We have a very strong chance to get to heaven, but our fate is in no way certain.

The Church Suffering (those members that departed this earth, but are not yet in heaven). These souls are indeed fortunate because they are truly on their way to heaven, but they still require purification. Don’t forget to pray for these souls. They, like we here on earth, benefit from prayer.

The Church Triumphant (as the name implies, these should have entered into heavenly glory).

I know this may not seem like a direct answer to your question, but I am trying to define all the members of our church. Each member can and should pray for each other. Obviously the Church Triumphant does not require our prayers. They have already achieved the ultimate reward.

The answer to your question is yes. Those in heaven can and do, as members of our church, pray for souls in purgatory as wells as the souls here on earth.

God Bless!
:angel1:

Bud Stewart:
The answer to your question is yes. Those in heaven can and do, as members of our church, pray for souls in purgatory as wells as the souls here on earth.
…as the Mother of Christ, Queen of Heaven constantly intercedes for them…

just ducky:
I know the people in purgatory depend on our prays down on earth to help them get out of purgatory, but can the people in heaven pray for them too? Thanks
You can if you outlive me. as you can pray for all the Holy Souls. I’m counting on it.

The Holy Souls in purgatory need prayers from the church militant (us) and rely on the infinite mercy of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Prayers include…Masses, Rosary’s, The Stations of the Cross, offering up your sufferings, simple prayers, etc…

It is important to note that while the Holy Souls cannot pray for themselves, they can offer prayers and intercede for those who pray for them. They are eternally grateful for your prayers.

As we know, most of our protestant brethren do not believe in or have knowledge of purgatory and thereby have no one for which to pray for them. We must also offer our prayers & sufferings for those souls who are forgotten and are only known to Jesus.

Me. You. Us. The Communion of Saints. All souls in Heaven pray for those in purgatory. See Revelations. I join my voice to their chorus.

It may also be comforting to understand the Economics of Prayer.

If you pray for a soul in purgatory, but they’re already in heaven, your prayers aren’t wasted – the prayers will be applied to someone else who needs them!

When in doubt, pray!

just ducky:
People in Heaven can pray for us, and the souls in Purgatory can pray for us on earth, but they can’t pray for themselves, that is up to us and the greatest form of charity.
And thats why I joined the holy souls assocation in PORTUGAL and here is an online holy souls website if anyone wants to join.

pwhs-mfi.org/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back