By no means, I am not agitating anybody to disobedience. I only think that true ecumenism requires compromise on all sides, including abolishment of regulations that hinder this process. This example shows I am not the only person, who thinks so.
I absolutely agree.
Our local group of ten different denominations has been doing it for years.
It means that the non-Catholic congregations get to hear a Catholic priest preach, and are usually amazed that it is so Christian, no advocating worshipping statues and the like.
And the teams of non-RCs who come to Mass to preach and do the readings and Bidding Prayers are exposed to Mass and see that it is very meangful to us, and perhaps have a few misconceptions removed.
Who knows what good this spreading out of ripples on the water will do in the long run? They might go home and say to their friends and family,‘Guess what, their Mass is so nice, not at all what I thought it would be’ and plant an interest.
There are many times when rules are bent for the greater good, or for pastoral reasons - playing sentimental recorded songs at a funeral, for example, which is against the rules.
The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
The obsession with obeying regulations and overlooking a greater purpose reminds me of children setting up clubs with complicated rule-books so that they can exclude others, I have to say.
Look how many Church rules have been changed because it came to be realised that they were wrong - being forbidden to attend non-RC services being the most glaring example. Who knows, perhaps the rule about who can preach will itself be changed in due course
Rules are not permanent truth, doctrine is. If the sermon being preached by the non-RC is in accord with doctrine, where is the problem?