Who is "The apostle whom Jesus loved..."?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sfp
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sfp

Guest
I’ve been challenged by some protestants with the argument that JAMES is the "apostle whom jesus loved, whom He gave His mother to (at the foot of the cross in John’s Gospel).

Since all Bible translations I’ve seen, only say “the apostle whom Jesus loved” or similar, and not “John” by name, how do I respond?

(How do we know with certainty that Jesus is speaking to John and not James at the foot of the cross in John’s Gospel?) :confused:
 
Considering that James wasn’t there, only his mother (who was NOT the Virgin Mary), it would have been impossible for Jesus to have given his mother to him.
 
Hi sfp,

Towards the end of John’s Gospel that question is answered:

John 21:20 Peter turning about, saw that disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also leaned on his breast at supper and said: Lord, who is he that shall betray thee?
John 21:21 Him therefore when Peter had seen, he saith to Jesus: Lord, and what shall this man do?
John 21:22 Jesus saith to him: So I will have him to remain till I come, what is it to thee? Follow thou me.
John 21:23 This saying therefore went abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die. And Jesus did not say to him: He should not die; but: So I will have him to remain till I come, what is it to thee?
John 21:24 This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things and hath written these things: and we know that his testimony is true.

Hope this helps some,

With love,
George
 
Considering that James wasn’t there, only his mother (who was NOT the Virgin Mary), it would have been impossible for Jesus to have given his mother to him.
Sorry, I don’t follow you. It sounds as if you’re suggesting that Jesus’s mother is not the Virgin Mary.
 
I’ve been challenged by some protestants with the argument that JAMES is the "apostle whom jesus loved, whom He gave His mother to (at the foot of the cross in John’s Gospel).

Since all Bible translations I’ve seen, only say “the apostle whom Jesus loved” or similar, and not “John” by name, how do I respond?

(How do we know with certainty that Jesus is speaking to John and not James at the foot of the cross in John’s Gospel?) :confused:
That’s a new one for me–never heard that idea from anyone. That James is the “beloved disciple”. I would challenge back and ask the person how they came up with that idea.
 
Without a doubt it was John due to the other references in John, posted above, which make this clear. However, it is ironic to see all the Catholic posters confirming this fact here when, in other threads, I’ve seen plenty of Catholics question my assertion that it was John. (This is in the context of responding to my points regarding the Catholic doctrine that Mary was given by Christ to the Church and thus is the mother of the Church and the mother of us all).
 
Without a doubt it was John due to the other references in John, posted above, which make this clear. However, it is ironic to see all the Catholic posters confirming this fact here when, in other threads, I’ve seen plenty of Catholics question my assertion that it was John. (This is in the context of responding to my points regarding the Catholic doctrine that Mary was given by Christ to the Church and thus is the mother of the Church and the mother of us all).
**I. MARY’S MOTHERHOOD WITH REGARD TO THE CHURCH **

**Wholly united with her Son . . . **

964 Mary’s role in the Church is inseparable from her union with Christ and flows directly from it. “This union of the mother with the Son in the work of salvation is made manifest from the time of Christ’s virginal conception up to his death”; it is made manifest above all at the hour of his Passion:
Thus the Blessed Virgin advanced in her pilgrimage of faith, and faithfully persevered in her union with her Son unto the cross. There she stood, in keeping with the divine plan, enduring with her only begotten Son the intensity of his suffering, joining herself with his sacrifice in her mother’s heart, and lovingly consenting to the immolation of this victim, born of her: to be given, by the same Christ Jesus dying on the cross, as a mother to his disciple, with these words: “Woman, behold your son.”
 
Without a doubt it was John due to the other references in John, posted above, which make this clear. However, it is ironic to see all the Catholic posters confirming this fact here when, in other threads, I’ve seen plenty of Catholics question my assertion that it was John. (This is in the context of responding to my points regarding the Catholic doctrine that Mary was given by Christ to the Church and thus is the mother of the Church and the mother of us all).
Just because they claim to be Catholic, doesn’t mean they know what they are talking about. (I mean this in the most respectful way possible.)

What’s important, is "what does the Church teach about it?, not “what does some lay catholic think he knows about it?” That’s the beauty of our Church my friend, we don’t claim to know everything, that’s why we NEED and acknowledge the magesterium of the Church, and Her protection by the Holy Spirit from teaching doctrinal error. (and the proof is in the fact that the Church has never waivered on it’s constant teaching of dogmas of the faith.)

By contrast, ever since Calvin, Luther and Wesley suggested that it was a good idea to “self-proclaim” that each and every person had the “authority” to interpret scripture for him/herself, now look at how many different teachings there are on matters of faith and morals from self-proclaimed “Christians.”

Sorry, this was off-topic, but your comment lead me astray :o

God Bless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top