Who is the Best Catholic Fiction writer

  • Thread starter Thread starter jmisk
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jmisk

Guest
When I started reading Christian fiction, everyone said that C S Lewis was king. I would like to read someone who writes fiction from a Catholic perspective. So who are the greatest Catholic fiction writers. Please don’t reply with graham green or other writers that in there own lives did not emulate a Catholic lifestyle. Or book like Huntchbck of Notre Dam because even though the book does contain catholic characters, by no means was victor Hugo a friend to Catholicism.
 
He didn’t write science fiction but his Fr. Brown series are not real…G.K. Chesterton.
 
An excellent Catholic, contemporary novelist is Michael D. O’Brien.

He wrote: Island of the World
A Father’s Tale…and many other novels.

Do a search and check him out. Be sure to use his middle initial when searching, as there is
a Michael O’Brien that is not him.

Michael D. O’Brien is also an artist, and has designed many of the covers of his books.
 
Dante Alighieri.

On more recent authors, all those mentioned above are good (haven’t read Michael D. O’Brien, but I’d like to), and I’d also add Robert Hugh Benson. His book Lord of the World should be required reading for all Catholics–and his historical novels are pretty good as well.
 
Pax Christi!

I’m also looking for good fiction by Catholics.

God bless.
 
Flannery O’Connor > Tolkien

(:
This is heresy of the highest degree. I’m almost certain Canon Law has something about this meriting automatic excommunication, in fact.

For me it’s a battle between Tolkien and Chesterton, though Chesterton’s best works were admittedly not novels.
 
Are you looking only for modern writers? because who sprang to mind were Les Miserables (okay, that’s Victor Hugo) and Jane Eyre.
Dean Koontz is not a great writer, but a very popular one, and he’s a Catholic convert.
 
In my opinion,

Tolkien, Flannery O’Connor, Evelyn Waugh.

The best living Catholic literary author today is Gene Wolfe. Absolutely, absolutely amazing command of the English language.

Tim Powers and R.A. (Rafael Aloysius) Lafferty are also excellent. Critics and readers are just catching up to Lafferty now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top