Who is your favorite Saint?

• Thread starter Thread starter anthony81OR
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anthony81OR

Hey everyone,
I just wanting to know, who is your favorite Saint and why? I love to read fascinating facts about them. Well, I know that, I will have fun reading your answers. My favorite Saint is St. Maria Goretti. She was a great young girl. At the age of 12, she was raped, and stabbed 14 times. I think it’s 14. But, before she died, she asked her mother to forgive her murderer for her. Anyways, I am interested in knowing your answers.
Anthony

St. Anthony is my favorite saint. I think he helped me find the perfect job. He’s helped me find lost articles. I always pray for a front parking place, and I usually get it! If I don’t, I know that I really wasn’t praying with my heart.

Once I lost a pair of clippers, and I looked all over for them. I searched all over my car, including the back seat. After praying to St. Anthony, I found them a couple days later–right in plain view on my back seat. I KNOW they weren’t there before.

St. Anthony never fails!

God Bless,
Kathleen

I probably have several “favorite” saints. I love St. Teresa of Avila because she was extremely wise and always faithful-even through many years of spiritual dry spells. I also love her because she’s a woman and a dr. of the Church.

I also love St. Jude. When all hope seems lost, it’s great to know we have another friend waiting around the corner to help us.

Most of all, I love Our Mother. I know we don’t always refer to her as a Saint, but she’s the greatest of them all. I love her because she’s loving, faithful, noble, wise, beautiful, etc. To know Our Mother is to love her, and to love her is to love Jesus.

One of the great things about loving the saints is that the more you love them, the more you love Christ. They always lead you closer to Jesus.

Scout :tiphat:

I like strong women saints, Teresa of Avila, Catherine of Siena, Joan of Arc, who today are such an antidote to the modern godess-worshiping brand of “Catholic” feminism. I used to be irritated by Therese and her Little Way made me gag, but more and more I am coming to admire her, once I get past the Frenchness of her writing. St Anthony is tops with me, I don’t know how he does it. In case anybody doesn’t know it, he can also find lost computer files. I dearly love Saint Joseph, the most neglected and most needed saint of our times, who I pray to constantly to restore the place of the husband and father in our society.

I don’t have any one “favorite” either. So, I’ll list those I hold most dear:

St Therese
St Monica
St. Maria Goretti
St Perpetua
St Paul
St “Padre” Pio

St Raphael, St Joseph, St Julian of Norwich, and I recently learned about our new saint, St Gianna and am quite impressed.

Who can chose? It’s like picking you favorite from among your children. I choose them all, however I don’t have room for them all.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\web\saints.JPG

It’s like chosing your favorite child. Who can choose? I choose them all! However, I can’t wear all their medals, though i’m trying…

Who can pick a favorite? It’s like picking a favorite among your children. I choose them all** !**

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/saints.jpg

However, I haven’t found a way to wear all their medals. Just had a thought, though. I saw a native America dress at pow-pow covered with silver bells. :hmmm:

Oh, yes. I forgot about St Julian of Norwich. I’ve often wished I could be an “Anchoress” like her. But they don’t do anything like that these days. Oh well, I guess I’ll do what I can to live how God wants me.

St Basil, St John Chrysostom and St Gregory Nazianzen.

Doctors of the Church, Great teachers of the world.

Flawed human beings, but great lovers of God and seekers of the truth.

I just can’t put my finger on why, but I have an icon of them in a book which I keep going back to. I find reflecting on it spiritually uplifting and a source of peace every time.

St. Peter.
Like me, always doing stupid things, but with the best of intentions (the paving blocks on the road to hell, I know). He really doesn’t get much of anything until Pentacost.
I think Jesus chose him as the first pope because he was so human; so flawed, and yet, when required, he stood up to the task given him - mostly. St Paul had to straighten hm out once.
That’s another reason I like him. He shows that even popes aren’t perfect (except when it comes to faith and morals, of course.).
“Lord, it is good that we are here…” I always chuckle at that part of the Transfiguration narrative. *I’m scared and I don’t understand what’s goint on…*Omygosh, I’m looking at Moses and Elijah talking to the Master, who’s glowing like the sun…I’d better do something! It’s so typical of him.
I guess I just relate.
God bless

I can second this one. I find that lately God has been calling me to lead and it is the furthest thing on my list of wanting to do. And I always ask Him why me? I am a sinner and not a powerful person. But who am I to argue eh? Pray:gopray: for moi.

Moe
40.png
Strider:
St. Peter.
Like me, always doing stupid things, but with the best of intentions (the paving blocks on the road to hell, I know). He really doesn’t get much of anything until Pentacost.
I think Jesus chose him as the first pope because he was so human; so flawed, and yet, when required, he stood up to the task given him - mostly. St Paul had to straighten hm out once.
That’s another reason I like him. He shows that even popes aren’t perfect (except when it comes to faith and morals, of course.).
“Lord, it is good that we are here…” I always chuckle at that part of the Transfiguration narrative. *I’m scared and I don’t understand what’s goint on…*Omygosh, I’m looking at Moses and Elijah talking to the Master, who’s glowing like the sun…I’d better do something! It’s so typical of him.
I guess I just relate.
God bless

I can second this one. I find that lately God has been calling me to lead and it is the furthest thing on my list of wanting to do. And I always ask Him why me? I am a sinner and not a powerful person. But who am I to argue eh? Pray:gopray: for moi.

Moe
40.png
Strider:
St. Peter.
I guess I just relate.
God bless

St. Monica 👍

Although we are from vastly different times, so much of her life mirrored my own.

St. Michael would come a very close second on my all time favorite list of saints. Being faced with so much evil in the world, St. Michael is the perfect saint to ask for intercessory (sp) prayer from. This saint doesn’t mess around, He goes for the throat of the evil one and kicks but… 👍 Ya gotta like a siant like that. 😃

My favorite Saints in order are:

Therese - The Little Flower Teresa of Avila Augustine Josemaria Escriva

All have made a powerful impact on my life…

for those admirers of St Julian of Norwich, the anchoress who was willingly walled up in a cell next to the church for the rest of her life
exercising the ministry of prayer and spiritual advisor to those who came to her–she sounds like the perfect patron of the stay-at-home mom, especially one with a new baby.

40.png
asquared:
for those admirers of St Julian of Norwich, the anchoress who was willingly walled up in a cell next to the church for the rest of her life
exercising the ministry of prayer and spiritual advisor to those who came to her–she sounds like the perfect patron of the stay-at-home mom, especially one with a new baby.
I think I’m going to add her to my list, only my ‘babies’ are grown up and have babies of their own…I’m walled up at home and sometimes think I’m going to go bonkers!:banghead: I just happen to be a people person and my husband won’t let me have a car…sooo…I think I’ll start asking her intercession.👍 Annunciata:(

Archbishop Sheen.

I am a Baptist signed up for RCIA / RCIC.

On June 19 this year, I went to the Catholic Bookstore. I usually only go maybe once a year (I’m Baptist). I sometimes watch EWTN and often watch the Pope on Christmas Eve. So I didn’t have much reason to go.

Anyway, I’ve been out of work since November last year. So when I went to the bookstore, I was only going to get things if they were really marked down on sale. I found a rosary for me and another rosary for my wife. Both on a very good sale. And then I went back to look at the books. I saw a Book by Archbishop Sheen that I really wanted – “Life is Worth Living”. Since I grew up in New York State and sometimes read his newspaper columns and also sometimes see him on EWTN. It was not on sale – it was full price almost $20. As I was putting the book back, I noticed that the one underneath was marked “DISCOUNTED – COVER PUT ON UPSIDE DOWN”. It really was discounted quite a bit. Since I felt like he had practically given me his book, I bought it. And felt like he didn’t do a miracle just for me to put it on my shelf. If he did a miracle it was because I needed to read it and study it.

I started reading a lesson each day – they were transcribed telecasts, but to me they were lessons. I noticed after a few days, that my behavior and attitude would change for the rest of the day. I really wouldn’t want to sin if Archbishop Sheen had taught me earlier in the day. So I started reading earlier in the day (sometimes missing). I finished reading the first time August 4. And I have started to re-read it (but not every day). I got his autobiography “Treasure in Clay” at the public library and started reading it as well (currently on 10th chapter). I also started reading the Bible daily. But I stopped at the end of July (I need to re-start that again). I’ve been to weekday masses a few times each week for the last several weeks. And today was my 2nd-in-a-row Sunday mass.

My wife already likes some Catholic prayers. So I printed out some more Catholic prayers from the EWTN web site. We’ve been praying them together at night – and my wife has been praying them in the daytime. I plan to let the Catholic prayers soften up her heart some more before telling her I’ve been going to the Catholic Church in addition to our Baptist Church.

Last week when we prayed “A Prayer to Saint Joseph”, I couldn’t really want to pray “… I choose thee [St. Joseph] this day to be my special patron and advocate and I firmly resolve to honor thee all the days of my life…” because I felt that Fulton Sheen had already stepped up to the plate without me first asking.

Pope John Paul II said to Archbishop Sheen “You have written and spoken well of the Lord Jesus. You are a loyal son of the Church.” Since we can depend on the Pope, I think I can depend on Archbishop Sheen. In RCIA / RCIC, if I find something hard to understand or hard to believe, I’ll probably find something Archbishop Sheen has already written. And if not, I’ll just try to follow his example.

So please pray for me and my family.

I start a new job. Tomorrow morning is the first day. The second day at work might not be until Thursday or maybe even next week. I’ll be taking the commuter train to Washington DC and work in a Federal Government building. The area is under Orange alert, and I assure you that all of us who usually work down there are keenly aware that we are terrorist targets, especially on the commuter trains (like Madrid Spain).

So Archbishop Fulton Sheen, please keep working with me and praying for me. Thank you.

Archbishop Sheen’s Prayer:

“Give me strength, tonight, to speak Thy Truth, that Thou mayest be known, not me; the power to make others love Thee, but not that I may be loved. Instill in those who listen to me a love of Thee, so that there may not be only truth communicated but also a love of that truth.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back