Who is your favorite Saint?

• Thread starter Thread starter anthony81OR
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jmm,

You have my prayers. This is a wonderful thing…it seems to me that he is drawing you to the Faith…BTW,have you read his autobiography book Treasures in Clay?
Annunciata:)

jmm08: You know, I think that I might have a couple of his books in the bookcase somewhere. I find them at garage sales, library book sales, etc. Maybe I should start reading it, yes?

I will definitely pray for you. My husband works in the Fed bldg up here in NY. I didn’t realize that your area was still code orange.

Blessed Father Damian (some Roman Catholic web sites describing saints aren’t yet up to date on him). I browsed the Vatican web site to find Regina Coeli, 4 June 1995. Translating it using Altvista’s Babel Fish (Italian to English) shows (point 2) that Pope John Paul II declared “… Gioisci for Damiano Father!”

Blessed Father Damian is 2/3 the way towards Sainthood. To me, Father Damian is one of the most convincing proofs that the Holy Eucharist is the Body of Christ (and not symbolic). Because he sacrificed his life in priestly service. He couldn’t have been an idolater (as some Protestants call Catholic Adoration of the Eucharist). Father Damian poured out the full measure of Agape love as our Lord described.

“Of all the pulpits from which human voice is ever sent forth, there is none from which it reaches so far as from the grave.” – John Ruskin, The Seven Lamps of Architecture, 1849

Father Damian means more to me because I stood there in Kalaupapa near his grave hearing the story for the first time. I suppose it was a Holy moment in my life that took years for me to more fully comprehend.

One very big Catholic witness was when I went on a tour in Hawaii in 1976 including a day-long trip to the Kalaupapa leper colony. At the time I had never heard anything about him. I heard about Father Damian (aka Joseph de Veuster) from a leper, while I was not standing far from Father Damian’s grave. Unspoken words were loud enough in my mind.

“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”

Father Damian died from leprosy in Hawaii. He buried hundreds of lepers. Father Damian had the penultimate degree of Christian love for his mission field. Even though he was dead, Father Damian took the initiative to also tell me by sowing a seed that sprouted again and again, through leper after leper, through heart after heart, waiting years after years, until the leper told me his story. And it took years again for me to understand better that I needed to be a Catholic, not just a Christian. The story couldn’t have been framed any better or more indelibly. I am afraid of heights, and I had to ride a mule down a narrow switchback trail along very steep sea cliffs – the world’s tallest – just to get there and back.

The State of Hawaii did its best to recognize Father Damian’s Sainthood with its placement in 1969 of Father Damian’s statue into the National Statuary Hall Collection (located in US Capital House connecting corridor, first floor). Just imagine that – a statue of a Catholic Saint in our US Congress. Subsequently, the Catholic Church began to increase its recognition of Father Damian. Father Damian is blessed at this time (2 out of 3 to be RC saint).

You know something? When Blessed Father Damian gets to be a Saint, our nation’s capital will start to look a little bit like a Roman Catholic Church (with St. Father Damian’s wonderful and very unique statue already inside it). Isn’t that going to be a miracle? Could it count towards his Sainthood?

40.png
Annunciata:
Jmm,

You have my prayers. This is a wonderful thing…it seems to me that he is drawing you to the Faith…BTW,have you read his autobiography book Treasures in Clay?
Annunciata:)
Annunciata: As I explained above, I borrowed it from the Public Library. And I am in the 10th chapter. I plan to read it more on the commuter train (1 hour each way). And I agree that he drew me more into the Catholic faith. I was not in a state of grace, and I’ve had a lot of exposure to lies. I used to buy and distribute Jack Chick tracts (not the anti-Catholic ones). But I have read all his anti-Catholic stuff. I also was exposed to other troublesome things. I went to a week-long Charismatic Catholic Bible conference (although I wasn’t Charismatic and I wasn’t Catholic). There, I felt no push to become Catholic at all – it seemed that being Protestant was OK. It turns out that the Catholic laypeople who taught all week have left the Catholic Church and they probably weren’t authorized to teach as Catholics (although it appeared that way then).

Archbishop Sheen may have been interested in me personally for several reasons:
I grew up in upstate New York while he was Bishop of Rochester.
I was an unpaid part-time street evangelist for almost 7 years (Bishop Sheen also did some street preaching).
Bishop Sheen was always interested in reaching the lost, and I was not in a state of grace.

If anyone out there is out of work and wants to read a good Catholic book cheap, check your local public library or your parish Church (they may have a library).
40.png
SusanL:
jmm08: You know, I think that I might have a couple of his books in the bookcase somewhere. I find them at garage sales, library book sales, etc. Maybe I should start reading it, yes?
SusanL: Yes. Get out those books and read at least a little every day. For me, it really took concentration to understand what he was saying. I often had to read and re-read sentences and paragraphs, because I was missing what he was saying.

I’ve been photocopying a few lessons to give to my step-daughter and to my wife. My step-daughter likes them, but isn’t very enthusiastic yet. I hope my wife likes the one on motherhood. She really should. Bishop Sheen elevates motherhood to such a level, that no good mother should feel inferior to any man. And thereby he has taught me some about Mary the Mother of our Lord and the Queen of Heaven – and I’m still learning.

jmm08 said:
Annunciata: As I explained above, I borrowed it from the Public Library. And I am in the 10th chapter. I plan to read it more on the commuter train (1 hour each way). And I agree that he drew me more into the Catholic faith. I was not in a state of grace,
Archbishop Sheen may have been interested in me personally for several reasons:
I grew up in upstate New York while he was Bishop of Rochester.
I was an unpaid part-time street evangelist for almost 7 years (Bishop Sheen also did some street preaching).
Bishop Sheen was always interested in reaching the lost, and I was not in a state of grace.

Oops! Jmm, I apologize, somehow I missed that part when I first read your post…Mea Culpa …(I should take my own advice in reading post more carefully…a question on anther thread)
I have read it twice, many years ago and just last year…I also read *America’s Bishop, The Life and Time of Fulton J. Sheen *by Thomas C. Reeves…didn’t like it as well as Treasure In Clay though. In Christ, Annunciata:)

St. Padre Pio
St John Vienney
St. Michael
St. Philomena
Blessed Teresa of Calcutta
Venerable Ann Catherine Emmerich

Choosing a favorite saint is like choosing which of your children you favor most. I can’t decide. I choose them all !

I do wish I could wear all their medals. I once saw a Native American dancer who wore a dress covered in silver bells. :hmmm:

My favorite Saint is Saint Dominic. He came onto the scene at a time when heresy was rampant. The Lord raised him up to spread the Gospel and proclaim the Truth to the heretics. Through the centuries, the Order of Preachers, or Dominicans, have made a fruitful and lasting contribution to the Church.

St. Lawrence/Deacon and Martyr…He was told to bring all the treasures of the church to turn over to an evil ruler. He brought the poor, the blind,the lame, and the aged. He said that these were the church’s treasures. He was put to death.

Deacon Tony

40.png
Authorkat:
St. Anthony is my favorite saint. I think he helped me find the perfect job. He’s helped me find lost articles. I always pray for a front parking place, and I usually get it! If I don’t, I know that I really wasn’t praying with my heart.
St. Anthony never fails!
God Bless,
Kathleen
Saint Anthony I always say will have his hand out when and if I get to heaven because he has found more for me in my life time than I could ever dream. There is a cute prayer that I taught my children and now my grandchildren.
Tony, Tony come around ______ is lost and has got to be found. Then they ask St. Anthony to help them find it.😃
But tied with St. Anthony has got to be Saint Paul, I love the way he was so zealous. I try hard to imitate him after Christ of course.:love:
There are so many awesome saints that this is really a very difficult question!:yup:

I find it very difficult to choose a favourite saint. But as someone has already stated, I am really indebted to the first christian, Our Mother, Mary the Queen of Heaven. She is my perfect example of what a chrsitian is called to be. St. Peter also comes to my thoughts very often, as he was very human but thriving to follow in Christ’s way. St. Paul also marvels me with his wit and authoritative teaching and his steadfastness in his teachings.

I recently started reading about St Augustine, a flawed human being who ultimately found the Truth, In the Catholic Church. He is a man a absolutely adore. I wish to read more about our Saints as they are perfect attestation that indeed we are flawed but with Jesus we are victors and therefore Christophers. Man like Augustine have proved that and lived to the Bishop’s testimony or prophecy that “It is impossible that the son of so many years be lost”, to St. Augustine’s mother.

I must add this a beautiful thread. It makes one want to learn more about the saints. Blesses Teresa of calcutta always amazes and challenges me.

You are so very right. It is hard.
St Joseph
St Anthony
St Pio
St Gianna Molla
St Faustina
St Ignatious Loyola
St Jude
St Teresa

St Cecilia, St. Raphael, St. Joan of Arc, St. Mary Magdelene, St. Michael, and St. Gregory the Great.

I’ll probably find myself praying more to St. Francis this year in school, I think I’ll need the extra help!!

She’s not quite a Saint yet, but lately I’ve been rather fond of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha.

My daughter was confirmed last Easter and chose Bl. Kateri as her patron. (Amongst other reasons, Kateri was half-Mohawk, and my daughter has the tiniest bit of Mohawk in her, too). In an effort to keep my daughter’s spiritual interests alive, last month we took a road trip to New York’s Mohawk River Valley to visit the Kateri Shrine and her birth place and such.

The neatest part was the excavation site of Caughnawaga, the Mohawk fortress where Bl. Kateri was living when she was baptized. It’s pretty much just a field with a bunch of colored stakes in the ground where they found evidence of the outer walls or the long houses or whatever. But there was a gap in the wall where the gate to the fort had been. So I had my daughter stand there and I said to her “Think about it–this was the gate to the fortress… that means whenever she left to get water or hunt or do anything, she walked on the very spot where you’re standing right now.”

The look of awe in my daughter’s eyes at that moment made the entire trip worth it.

St. Katherine Drexel.

Family of Philadelphia socialites, worth millions of dollars, had a rich life in a wealthy family, what’s she do? gives it ALL to needy and uneducated minority children across America, opens schools, founded order of nuns…
a hero and a saint.

I totally forgot St Anselm…a bit of Catholic “astrology” for ya…I was born on April 21, the feast day of St Anselm. When I was starting college, I had to take a philosophy class my first semester. I wasn’t too crazy about the idea, but it was a requirement for the honors program I was in. Well the first day of class we were assigned to read St Anselm’s ontological argument. I had never heard of St Anselm before - I had never studied philosophy of any kind before. But I went back to my dorm that night and read Anselm and was immediately hooked. Five years later and I’m in graduate school working on a PhD in philosophy with plans to become a philo professor. Thought it was a neat coincidence.

My husband’s birthday is October 24, the feast day of St Raphael, patron of happy meetings. Feeling very lonely and despairing of ever finding a mate, I prayed to St Raphael for help in meeting someone special. Just days later I met the woman who introduced me to my husband about a week later. Thanks St Raphael!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back