D
dominikus28
Guest
A Jewish friend of mine recently got me thinking. He asked me what I would do if my brother, hypothetically, said that God was speaking through him or to him. I answered that I would tell my priest or bishop and that I would believe whatever Rome told me (so if the authorities in the Church told me he was lying, I would believe that).
Then he followed up with a question, if I were to believe that the Church is right, then why was it/is it considered to be wrong that Jews rejected Jesus Christ? Some Jews I know converted to Christianity, but for Jews back then, who had not experienced Christ first hand, they would rely on the guidance or the Rabbis, and the Rabbis would have told them that this is not the messiah. So it basically comes down to his word against theirs.
Can someone clarify this to me? I mean, the Jews back then, who rejected Christ, and even today, who reject Christ, are simply following the advice of their Rabbi, just like a Catholic would follow his priest’s advice to not convert to another religion.
Then he followed up with a question, if I were to believe that the Church is right, then why was it/is it considered to be wrong that Jews rejected Jesus Christ? Some Jews I know converted to Christianity, but for Jews back then, who had not experienced Christ first hand, they would rely on the guidance or the Rabbis, and the Rabbis would have told them that this is not the messiah. So it basically comes down to his word against theirs.
Can someone clarify this to me? I mean, the Jews back then, who rejected Christ, and even today, who reject Christ, are simply following the advice of their Rabbi, just like a Catholic would follow his priest’s advice to not convert to another religion.