Who's to be Left Behind?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NotWorthy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I also find interesting is the ganking of Church Fathers as seen here. Martin, if you are going to use the Church Fathers as an authority, you need to do so consistently, and not just when you think it will support your argument.
Uhhhh, isn’t that what we do? I mean, we use Ireneaus’ quotes when he supports Catholic Doctrine, but then we ignore his anti-jewish rants.

Note - At least, I think it was Ireneaus who was anti-jew. If it’s someone else, go with the point, not the accuracy, please.
 
Uhhhh, isn’t that what we do? I mean, we use Ireneaus’ quotes when he supports Catholic Doctrine, but then we ignore his anti-jewish rants.

Note - At least, I think it was Ireneaus who was anti-jew. If it’s someone else, go with the point, not the accuracy, please.
I’m not so sure that is what we do…

We quote the Fathers to illustrate the consensus that existed and developed in support of a divinely revealed truth.

Non-Catholics quote an isolated Father here or a passage taken out of context there in an attempt to undermine the Authority of the Church founded by Jesus Christ.

They are trying to play one Father against another in attempt to lead Catholics out of the Church.

Not only are the methodologies different, but the motives are radically different as well.

I don’t see much of a parallel.
 
The Epistle of Barnabas
“The Sabbath is mentioned at the beginning of the creation thus: ‘And God made in six days the works of His hands, and made an end on the seventh day, and rested on it, and sanctified it.’ Attend, my children, to the meaning of this expression, ‘He finished in six days.’ This implieth that the Lord will finish all things in six thousand years, for a day is with Him a thousand years. And He Himself testifieth, saying, ‘Behold, to-day will be as a thousand years.’ Therefore, my children, in six days, that is, in six thousand years, all things will be finished. ‘And He rested on the seventh day.’ This meaneth: when His Son, coming again, shall destroy the time of the wicked man, and judge the ungodly, and change the sun, and the moon, and the stars, then shall He truly rest on the seventh day.” - The Epistle of Barnabas (15)
And how exactly do you suppose that this supports a pre-mil, pre-trib rapture?
 
BUNK!
Epharaim the Syrian said, in 373 AD, “For all the saints and Elect of God are gathered, prior to the tribulation that is to come, and are taken to the Lord lest they see the confusion that is to overwhelm the world because of our sins.”
A man who was busted by the early church as a heretic? Moreover this is considered a spurious source by most scholars.

John Nelson Darby concocted this erroneous teaching in about 1825 and it only took off when C.I. Schofield included it in his “Reference Bible”. There is no reputable ECF support for it, and the teaching is a misinterpretation of the passages that they base it on.

The Rapture and The Bible and NOTES.
Pax domini sit semper vobiscum.
 
Uhhhh, isn’t that what we do? I mean, we use Ireneaus’ quotes when he supports Catholic Doctrine, but then we ignore his anti-jewish rants.

Note - At least, I think it was Ireneaus who was anti-jew. If it’s someone else, go with the point, not the accuracy, please.
Not nearly to this extent or in the same way. We believe that the Church Fathers are authoritative in that they were witnesses to the orthodox Christian faith of their times. You won’t find Catholics explaining away half of the teachings of the ECF’s, because of this. However, when non-Catholics use the ECF’s they are willing to take one or two out of context from their own writings and the writings of the other Father’s in order to support something that these Father’s clearly wouldn’t have supported. This tactic is different.

And as far as anti-judaism, I don’t think that is nearly the same as using them as sources to support doctrinal disputes. That’s just my two cents.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top