Why aren't Catholics blessed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter McKevin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McKevin

Guest
I was raised in a very spirit-filled protestant church. During our services, if someone was moved by the preaching, praying, or singing then we referred to them as being blessed (happy). I

love Mass, but find most people attending to be rigid and just going through motions. Am I free to say “amen” during a homily or raise my hands during a song or prayer?
<>
McKevin
 
I was raised in a very spirit-filled protestant church. During our services, if someone was moved by the preaching, praying, or singing then we referred to them as being blessed (happy). I

love Mass, but find most people attending to be rigid and just going through motions. Am I free to say “amen” during a homily or raise my hands during a song or prayer?
<>
McKevin
:rotfl: Sorry… I don’t mean to laugh. I also used to attend a very spirit filled Protestant church… somebody was always yelling out: “Amen! Preach it brother! Praise the Lord!”

I can’t picture that at mass though. Can you? I think people would be freaked out since nobody else does that. After all, when in Rome…
 
I was raised in a very spirit-filled protestant church. During our services, if someone was moved by the preaching, praying, or singing then we referred to them as being blessed (happy). I

love Mass, but find most people attending to be rigid and just going through motions. Am I free to say “amen” during a homily or raise my hands during a song or prayer?
<>
McKevin
I would say you’re free to do whatever the spirit moves you to do, but some of the responses you describe might seem out of place to your neighbors in the pew. Also, many Protestant services are structured to evoke emotions and feelings in order to create an atmosphere of positive energy. Nothing wrong with that. It’s a perfectly natural, human response.

The mass has an entirely different purpose. It is a sacrificial meal celebrated by the community to experience the actual body,blood, soul and divinity of Christ. Yes, many in the pews may seem like they’re going through the motions…and many probably are. Not all are as educated in the faith as they should be. But look around during the consecration…here and there you will see people who are truly moved by what is actually happening. You might even see a few tears of joy.
 
I was raised in a very spirit-filled protestant church. During our services, if someone was moved by the preaching, praying, or singing then we referred to them as being blessed (happy). I

love Mass, but find most people attending to be rigid and just going through motions. Am I free to say “amen” during a homily or raise my hands during a song or prayer?
<>
McKevin
Maybe you should try a Charismatic Renewal parish or a LifeTeen Mass.

At a normal Mass it wouldn’t be considered appropriate to make noise or interrupt. Far from “just going through the motions” most people are deeply into the prayers and gestures - it would be very startling for them if someone suddenly started shouting and dancing/armwaving - they’d probably summon an ambulance.

But if you like shouting and dancing/armwaving, that is what the Charismatics and the LifeTeens do, and you would fit right in with them. There’s lots of room in the Catholic Church for all of us. 😉
 
:rotfl: Sorry… I don’t mean to laugh. I also used to attend a very spirit filled Protestant church… somebody was always yelling out: “Amen! Preach it brother! Praise the Lord!”

I can’t picture that at mass though. Can you? I think people would be freaked out since nobody else does that. After all, when in Rome…
I can imagine that at Mass, I mean after all the churches we attended didn’t have the real presence so what were they shouting about? It seems like we have more reason to shout and praise than they do!
<>
McKevin
 
I would say you’re free to do whatever the spirit moves you to do, but some of the responses you describe might seem out of place to your neighbors in the pew. Also, many Protestant services are structured to evoke emotions and feelings in order to create an atmosphere of positive energy. Nothing wrong with that. It’s a perfectly natural, human response.

The mass has an entirely different purpose. It is a sacrificial meal celebrated by the community to experience the actual body,blood, soul and divinity of Christ. Yes, many in the pews may seem like they’re going through the motions…and many probably are. Not all are as educated in the faith as they should be. But look around during the consecration…here and there you will see people who are truly moved by what is actually happening. You might even see a few tears of joy.
I have shared this feeling with some fellow parishioners and they have said that they also feel constrained at Mass and sometimes feel like saying an “amen” or lifting their hands in praise. I wonder, since protestantism hasn’t been around too long in the scope of things, then what was the Mass like 500 years ago when there was no alternative way to worship? Did all the hand raising, amen-shouting Christians leave the Catholic church or did this develop after the reformation?
<>
McKevin
 
McKevin,
Are there any parishes near you that have “praise services?” I know of a parish that hold a “praise service” once a month. There’s lots of singing, praying… arm raising… people saying “Amen!” It’s wonderful. The first time I took my husband he couldn’t belive it… He said, “Are you SURE this is a Catholic Church??”

So maybe there is something like that near you? I suppose if you really wanted to express yourself at mass, I’d start with the hands raised - slightly rather than the “Amen!” I’m thinking you’d freak out the Priest if you yelled out something at mass.

And who knows… once you start raising your arms, maybe other people would also?

Hey, now that I’m thinking about it, I was at mid-day mass on a Holy Day of Obliagion and the guy next to me was obviously a mechanic… dressed in his mechanic clothes & somewhat covered in greese. When the Priest prayed, this young guy raised his hands to the heavens. It was the most beautiful thing.
 
McKevin,
Are there any parishes near you that have “praise services?” I know of a parish that hold a “praise service” once a month. There’s lots of singing, praying… arm raising… people saying “Amen!” It’s wonderful. The first time I took my husband he couldn’t belive it… He said, “Are you SURE this is a Catholic Church??”

So maybe there is something like that near you? I suppose if you really wanted to express yourself at mass, I’d start with the hands raised - slightly rather than the “Amen!” I’m thinking you’d freak out the Priest if you yelled out something at mass.

And who knows… once you start raising your arms, maybe other people would also?

Hey, now that I’m thinking about it, I was at mid-day mass on a Holy Day of Obliagion and the guy next to me was obviously a mechanic… dressed in his mechanic clothes & somewhat covered in greese. When the Priest prayed, this young guy raised his hands to the heavens. It was the most beautiful thing.
I never heard of a Catholic “praise service” but will keep my eyes open for it. Thanks.

I attend a large parish in the midwest and just don’t understand why so many people (over 1,000) attend the service but seem like they just want to get through it. A close friend even said that he goes to the 5 o’clock Mass on Saturday to get it over with and out of the way as soon as possible.

I find this disturbing since I used to go to church twice on Sunday and once in the mid-week.

We have the real presence. What can be more exciting that that?
<>
McKevin
 
Well, you are asking a friend who has lack of belief in the Mass, then you can’t just use this as a good example. It takes more than one person’s opinion to come to a conclusion. And you said that 1000 people seem to want to get over with the Mass. Tell me how you know this? Do you just think because they don’t say “amen!” or yell out loud?

When Saint Paul said about praying in tongue, he addressed us about being order and not to have all people talking at once, etc…the same things go with the Mass. You don’t want to create yourself the attention for everyone to look at.

In Catholic church, we come to the Mass to do more than just studying the scripture, showing your emotion to God; therefore, order in the church is a must. If not for this order, I would have my hands up high, sing out loud, laying on the floor kissing it, you name it! 🙂 …

If a person next to me all of sudden yell out loud, I would find another seat. This is not because I disrespect the person, but I need to focus my mind to the Mass, not to the feeling of this person alone!
 
Well, you are asking a friend who has lack of belief in the Mass, then you can’t just use this as a good example. It takes more than one person’s opinion to come to a conclusion. And you said that 1000 people seem to want to get over with the Mass. Tell me how you know this? Do you just think because they don’t say “amen!” or yell out loud?

When Saint Paul said about praying in tongue, he addressed us about being order and not to have all people talking at once, etc…the same things go with the Mass. You don’t want to create yourself the attention for everyone to look at.

In Catholic church, we come to the Mass to do more than just studying the scripture, showing your emotion to God; therefore, order in the church is a must. If not for this order, I would have my hands up high, sing out loud, laying on the floor kissing it, you name it! 🙂 …

If a person next to me all of sudden yell out loud, I would find another seat. This is not because I disrespect the person, but I need to focus my mind to the Mass, not to the feeling of this person alone!
Water, interesting reply…a song that I learned when I attended a Nazarene church while in the Air Force and stationed in Texas went like this…step into the water (the water!), way down a little bit deeper (a little deeper!) , come joing angels singing praises to the Lord on high!

I wonder if God wants us to be so rigid?

…and when we praised God we didn’t attract attention to ourselves, everyone was focused on the Lord.

But I do understand that an “outburst” in a Catholic Mass would be disruptive, this is why I have restrained myself.

Peace,
<>
McKevin
PS: to answer your question, “And you said that 1000 people seem to want to get over with the Mass. Tell me how you know this?” Our church building holds 1200 and is usually standing room only…half the people beat the priest out the door before the song of dismisal is finished and the other half are just bottle-necked in the gathering space. My observation has nothing to do with their attitude during Mass.
 
Water, interesting reply…a song that I learned when I attended a Nazarene church while in the Air Force and stationed in Texas went like this…step into the water (the water!), way down a little bit deeper (a little deeper!) , come joing angels singing praises to the Lord on high!

I wonder if God wants us to be so rigid?

…and when we praised God we didn’t attract attention to ourselves, everyone was focused on the Lord.

But I do understand that an “outburst” in a Catholic Mass would be disruptive, this is why I have restrained myself.

Peace,
<>
McKevin
Well, during the Mass, there are total of 5 songs (normally 4 during week day mass). That is when one can sing his heart out. Other times, the silence is needed.

You are correct about some number of people leaving the Mass before the priest come out. However, those who stay, they like to talk to their friends and priest.

My church holds about 1500 and majority stay til the end.
 
I guess the question is - why is that so important (the shouting and hand-raising)? What purpose does it serve? And I’m not trying to be argumentative here; I really think it’s important to ask yourself those questions.

The Mass is much more solemn in its outward expressions than many Protestant services (although in the past during my “transition time” before I found my way back home to the RCC, I have been to Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational services that I found to be fairly quiet and contained). But I think at Mass, that is as it should be. Jesus is there in the Real Presence of the Eucharist. I really don’t think it’s appropriate to be hootin’ and howlin’.

I’ve often felt that a lot of the outward exprssions are just for show anyway (“Look how holy I am!!”).
 
I guess the question is - why is that so important (the shouting and hand-raising)? What purpose does it serve? And I’m not trying to be argumentative here; I really think it’s important to ask yourself those questions.

The Mass is much more solemn in its outward expressions than many Protestant services (although in the past during my “transition time” before I found my way back home to the RCC, I have been to Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational services that I found to be fairly quiet and contained). But I think at Mass, that is as it should be. Jesus is there in the Real Presence of the Eucharist. I really don’t think it’s appropriate to be hootin’ and howlin’.

I’ve often felt that a lot of the outward exprssions are just for show anyway (“Look how holy I am!!”).
AuntMartha,

If I’m praising God from my heart and if everyone around me is too then nobody would be looking at each other, the focus would be on God. This is the spirit at work in the church I grew up in. It was not for show. Most of the people even had their eyes closed. Why do we with the real presence of Christ rejoice less than them?

Peace,
<>
McKevin
 
AuntMartha,

If I’m praising God from my heart and if everyone around me is too then nobody would be looking at each other, the focus would be on God. This is the spirit at work in the church I grew up in. It was not for show. Most of the people even had their eyes closed. Why do we with the real presence of Christ rejoice less than them?

Peace,
<>
McKevin
to me, it is quite chaotic for Mass. At our church, we have other time for Praise and Worship, and with this, we sing out loud or pray but again, we still have a sense of being order.

To me, the bottom line is, you are used to where you grow up, one can not say much about how others feel if we are not growing in the same environment.

The only difference is one believes in the presence of the Lord in the Eucharist, some others don’t. This I feel a big lost for the others and pray for them to see the truth.
 
to me, it is quite chaotic for Mass. At our church, we have other time for Praise and Worship, and with this, we sing out loud or pray but again, we still have a sense of being order.

To me, the bottom line is, you are used to where you grow up, one can not say much about how others feel if we are not growing in the same environment.

The only difference is one believes in the presence of the Lord in the Eucharist, some others don’t. This I feel a big lost for the others and pray for them to see the truth.
What about saying “amen!” during the homily? In my church growing up there was an older man who used to say “glory!” instead of amen. We called him “glory-man”. But how would the typical Catholic feel about someone saying “Amen!” during a homily? Would this be distracting? Because, believe you me I have whispered quite a few of them and would like to say it louder!
<>
McKevin
 
Amen 🙂

I used to go to Church because of the Sunday Obligation; not until I am 21 and realized the Love of God for me.
Now, I am looking forward to go.

Tak
:amen:

…and maybe we should agree to say a hearty “Amen” in Mass this Sunday and then report back to each other?
<>
McKevin
 
McKevin;

Maybe you missed my earlier message, but have you thought of attending a Life Teen Mass or a Charismatic Mass?

They have all kinds of hootin’ and hollerin’ - they even do it in tongues. You’d feel right at home, I think, and it is a perfectly valid Mass.
 
What about saying “amen!” during the homily? In my church growing up there was an older man who used to say “glory!” instead of amen. We called him “glory-man”. But how would the typical Catholic feel about someone saying “Amen!” during a homily? Would this be distracting? Because, believe you me I have whispered quite a few of them and would like to say it louder!
<>
McKevin
There was a homily by Fr. Frank Pavone on EWTN where he talked about preaching in protestant churches about ProLife issues. He said there are always a lot of “Amens!” coming from the congregation, and how much he really liked that! Unfortunately, if you’re the only one, it could be perceived by others or the priest as being ostentatious, even if it’s coming from your heart. IMHO it’s better not to stand out, for the sake of humility. But as someone else mentioned, there’s always the Charismatics where you might find others who desire to express themselves this way.
 
But how would the typical Catholic feel about someone saying “Amen!” during a homily? Would this be distracting? Because, believe you me I have whispered quite a few of them and would like to say it louder!
I know it would bother me a lot to hear someone make such an exclaimation during a homily, or any other time during the Liturgy.

While external exuberance is quite appropriate at certain times, even during religious events, I don’t believe the Mass is the right place for them. This doesn’t mean being rigid or unfeeling, however. During the Mass we come into a direct encounter with God, and His Grace fills us up and pours out from us. We should hold ourselves in rapt attention of this Grace, and let the Love swell within us.

In the Latin tradition, this has always been through a devout silence. Even our mystics who have encountered God directly go into a state we call “ecstasy”, in which there is no outward movement nor action at all. They are pulled completely free of themselves and taken to a direct vision of God. Outward exuberance is not an indicator of the direct experience of Grace in our tradition.

This isn’t to say that it can’t be, just that it’s not the way it has manifested in thousands of years of our tradition. This isn’t to say that exuberance is sinful either, as it is quite appropriate in many occaisions, even religious. The Liturgy is a time for us to be pulled from ourselves, however, and to focus our entire being on God. The homily is a part of the Liturgy, it’s not merely a speech given between the Readings and the Eucharist. It is a direct part of the Readings, a continuation of them. We do not shout when the Word of God is being read, nor should we shout when the Word of God is being spoken in the homily. During religious speeches this would be appropriate, but not during the Liturgy when we are hearing the very voice of God.

Anyone who’s been to a Catholic party knows that we are more than able to let our hair down and let our religious fervor show in a zest for life. The Liturgy is our time to remove ourselves from ourselves, however, and whooping and shouting and wild gestures are not conduscive to this kind of spiritual connection for most of us. If you really, really feel the need to express the Faith in such a way, I recommend going to a Charismatic Mass or such, though they are not a common practice among Catholics. I think you’ll find that environment more to your comfort.

I would suggest, however, that you may find a deep richness in stillness and contemplation. It has been the way of our greatest saints, and has proven itself time and time again to be a very rich path to God. During the Liturgy, try to quiet yourself completely, and focus on the Grace that is Shining forth from within and without, like the most beautiful sunrise you’ve ever seen. Receive the light with joy, and reflect on how it changes you from within, letting go of the noise and movement of yourself. Think of it like a bubbling stream of water, which any sound would drown out, and let that stream take hold of your mind and grow louder and louder until it’s all you can hear. That is the traditional spirituality of the Latin Catholic Church, and it’s a very beautiful and profound one 🙂

Peace and God bless!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top