Why aren't you Protestant?

• Thread starter Thread starter RCCDefender
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RCCDefender

A lot of cradle Catholics may never have even thought about this. I’m sure that there are many converts that have though. So what say you??
  1. They have no authority on Earth [Matthew 16:18-19-which refers back to Isaiah 22:22; 1 Timothy 3:15; “Peter, who is called ‘the rock on which the church should be built,’ who also obtained ‘the keys of the kingdom of heaven…’” Tertullian, On the Prescription Against the Heretics, 22 (c. A.D. 200); “And Peter, on whom the Church of Christ is built, against which the gates of hell shall not prevail…” Origen, Commentary on John, 5:3 (A.D. 232); “’…thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church’ … It is on him that he builds the Church, and to him that he entrusts the sheep to feed. And although he assigns a like power to all the apostles, yet he founded a single Chair, thus establishing by his own authority the source and hallmark of the (Church’s) oneness…If a man does not fast to this oneness of Peter, does he still imagine that he still holds the faith. If he deserts the Chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, has he still confidence that he is in the Church?” Cyprian, De Unitate Ecclesiae (Primacy text), 4 (A.D. 251).]
  2. They do not have the Eucharist [John 6:53-58 and 66-67; 1 Corinthians 11:27; “They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they confess not the Eucharist to be the flesh of our Saviour Jesus Christ, which suffered for our sins, and which the Father, of His goodness, raised up again.” Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to Smyrnaeans, 7,1 (c. A.D. 110); “For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Saviour, having been made flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh.” Justin Martyr, First Apology, 66 (c. A.D. 110-165).]
  3. They changed their stance on Birth Control [Genesis 38:8-10; Romans 1:25; “To have coitus other than to procreate children is to do injury to nature.” Clement of Alexandria, The Instructor of Children 2:10:95:3 (A.D. 191); “[Christian women with male concubines], on account of their prominent ancestry and great property, the so-called faithful want no children from slaves or lowborn commoners, [so] they use drugs of sterility or bind themselves tightly in order to expel a fetus which has already been engendered." Hippolytus, Refutation of All Heresies 9:12 (A.D. 225).]

1. They try to interpret the Bible for themselves [2 Peter 1:20-21 and 3:16-17; “True knowledge is [that which consists in] the doctrine of the apostles, and the ancient constitution of the Church throughout all the world, and the distinctive manifestation of the body of Christ according to the successions of the bishops, by which they have handed down that Church which exists in every place, and has come even unto us, being guarded and preserved without any forging of Scriptures, by a very complete system of doctrine, and neither receiving addition nor [suffering] curtailment [in the truths which she believes]; and [it consists in] reading [the word of God] without falsification, and a lawful and diligent exposition in harmony with the Scriptures, both without danger and without blasphemy; and [above all, it consists in] the pre-eminent gift of love, which is more precious than knowledge, more glorious than prophecy, and which excels all the other gifts [of God]." Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 4,33:8 (inter A.D. 180-199); “For those are slothful who, having it in their power to provide themselves with proper proofs for the divine Scriptures from the Scriptures themselves, select only what contributes to their own pleasures. And those have a craving for glory who voluntarily evade, by arguments of a diverse sort, the things delivered by the blessed apostles and teachers, which are wedded to inspired words; opposing the divine tradition by human teachings, in order to establish the heresy.” Clement of Alexandria, Stromata, 7:16 (post A.D. 202).]
  2. They “shop” for a church until they find one that “fits them” [Deuteronomy 12:8; Judges 17:6 and 21:5;“An heretical congregation is an adulteress woman: for the Catholic hath never from the beginning left the couch and the chamber of her spouse, nor gone after other and strange lovers. Ye have painted a divorced form in new colours; ye have withdrawn your couch from the old wedlock’ ye have left the body of a mother, the wife of one husband, decking yourselves out with new arts of pleasing, new allurements of corruption.” Pacian, Epistle 3(ante A.D. 392); “You think that you make a very acute remark when you affirm the name Catholic to mean universal, not in respect to the communion as embracing the whole world, but in respect to the observance of all Divine precepts and of all the sacraments, as if we (even accepting the position that the Church is called Catholic because it honestly holds the whole truth, of which fragments here and there are found in some heresies) rested upon the testimony of this word’s signification, and not upon the promises of God, and so many indisputable testimonies of the truth itself, our demonstration of the existence of the Church of God in all nations.” Augustine, To Vincent the Rogatist, 93:7,23 (A.D. 403).]
  3. Jesus gave power to the apostles - protestants do not descend from apostles [Matthew 10:1; John 20:22-23; “And thus preaching through countries and cities, they appointed the first-fruits [of their labours], having first proved them by the Spirit, to be bishops and deacons of those who should afterwards believe. Nor was this any new thing, since indeed many ages before it was written concerning bishops and deacons. For thus saith the Scripture a certain place, ‘I will appoint their bishops in righteousness, and their deacons in faith.’… Our apostles also knew, through our Lord Jesus Christ, and there would be strife on account of the office of the episcopate. For this reason, therefore, inasmuch as they had obtained a perfect fore-knowledge of this, they appointed those [ministers] already mentioned, and afterwards gave instructions, that when these should fall asleep, other approved men should succeed them in their ministry…For our sin will not be small, if we eject from the episcopate those who have blamelessly and holily fulfilled its duties.” Pope Clement, Epistle to Corinthians, 42, 44 (A.D. 98); “Hegesippus in the five books of Memoirs which have come down to us has left a most complete record of his own views. In them he states that on a journey to Rome he met a great many bishops, and that he received the same doctrine from all. It is fitting to hear what he says after making some remarks about the epistle of Clement to the Corinthians. His words are as follows: ‘And the church of Corinth continued in the true faith until Primus was bishop in Corinth. I conversed with them on my way to Rome, and abode with the Corinthians many days, during which we were mutually refreshed in the true doctrine. And when I had come to Rome I remained a there until Anicetus, whose deacon was Eleutherus. And Anicetus was succeeded by Soter, and he by Eleutherus. In every succession, and in every city that is held which is preached by the law and the prophets and the Lord.’” Hegesippus, Memoirs, fragment in Eusebius Ecclesiatical History, 4:22 (A.D. 180); “It is my purpose to write an account of the successions of the holy apostles, as well as of the times which have elapsed from the days of our Saviour to our own; and to relate the many important events which are said to have occurred in the history of the Church; and to mention those who have governed and presided over the Church in the most prominent parishes, and those who in each generation have proclaimed the divine word either orally or in writing… When Nero was in the eighth year of his reign, Annianus succeeded Mark the evangelist in the administration of the parish of Alexandria…Linus …was Peter’s successor in the episcopate of the church there…Clement also, who was appointed third bishop of the church at Rome.” Eusebius, Ecclesiastical History,1:1,2:24, (A.D. 325).]

When I was in my early high school years we had a discussion in our Sunday school class about the upcoming Southern Baptist Convention. I don’t remember the exact topic, but I do clearly remember the teacher saying that if the SBC decided on something that our church didn’t like, that our church would just break off and be independent of the SBC. It was that easy. I guess that really got my attention. Just break away whenever you encounter something you don’t like. Form your own group according to your own standards of what a church should look like. Yeah. Right. Let’s all just interpret for ourselves.

There is no protestant church that has a valid Eucharist, validly appointed bishops, the sacraments, and honors Mary appropriately.

My stool stands firmly on three legs: the Holy Bible, Holy Tradition, and the Magesterium. I got tired of trying to keep my balance on just one leg, so I stopped protesting.

I am converting to Catholicism because:
  1. Not only do I not believe in “once saved, always saved”, I find this idea to be offensive. No human can declare another human saved; and I have personally witnessed some terrible behavior by self-declared Christians who used the excuse that they can do and say whatever they want because they are “saved.” The Catholic teaching that we must constantly keep on our toes by being honest, confessing and doing penance rings much more true and honest to me.
  2. I do not believe that “Bible alone” is the way to anything.
  3. I find church services without a the component of a reverent Eucharist to be completely pointless.
  4. I hate the way many (though not all) Protestant denominations distort history in order to make sure their believers don’t start questioning too much. The Catholic Church objectively has history on its side.
In sum, I believe that Catholicism is much more than a religion, it is a way of living every aspect of one’s life in accordance with the teachings of Christ. I believe that most of Protestantism, especially in the United States, is centered around taking the easy way out of most things: personal accountability first and foremost. I spent years railing against the offensive hypocrisy of Christianity, before slowly realizing that all of my problems with Christianity were actually problems with Protestantism.

Because I became a Christian.
Raised Catholic, I fell away in my late teens. A few years later I encountered Mormon missionaries which made me realise that if there really was a God I would be getting my butt kicked big time if I didn’t worship Him – - - the way He wanted to be worshipped.

In the early 70’s, newly married, flirting with feminism, I REALLY did not want that one true religion to be the Catholic Church. I studied, reasoned and analysed until I realised my only choices were the Catholic Church or atheism. Following my proofs for the existence of God, I came back to the Church and have grown in faith and love ever since.

In my daily life I work with non-C Christians who love God very much but they are sheep without a shepherd, floundering to find the “right” Protestant denomination where they will feel at home because everything taught will be recognisible from Scripture.

They are lost. I just wait until they bring a subject up and ask me a question, which they do from time to time and I manage to surprise them sometimes that I can answer from Scripture when giving Catholic teaching. It challenges their misconceptions.

I’m not a Protestant because you can’t simply completely change a religion that has existed for 1500 years and claim any kind of rationality.

There has to be some kind of historical/doctrinal continuity, because if there isn’t and hypothetically this new development is true, then reality is irrational- you can’t use Reason to figure out what Truth is. If Protestantism is right, then why not Islam, why not Jehovah’s Witness, why not Mormons? Basically all these Christian-derived religions basically move on the idea that at some point everything went wrong and had to be fixed at a later date. Like I said, why Protestantism, how do we even know Jesus was divine- why not Islam? Or how do we know God is three, why not Mormonism?

Raised Catholic, I fell away in my late teens. A few years later I encountered Mormon missionaries which made me realise that if there really was a God I would be getting my butt kicked big time if I didn’t worship Him – - - the way He wanted to be worshipped.

In the early 70’s, newly married, flirting with feminism, I REALLY did not want that one true religion to be the Catholic Church. I studied, reasoned and analysed until I realised my only choices were the Catholic Church or atheism. Following my proofs for the existence of God, I came back to the Church and have grown in faith and love ever since.

In my daily life I work with non-C Christians who love God very much but they are sheep without a shepherd, floundering to find the “right” Protestant denomination where they will feel at home because everything taught will be recognisible from Scripture.

They are lost. I just wait until they bring a subject up and ask me a question, which they do from time to time and I manage to surprise them sometimes that I can answer from Scripture when giving Catholic teaching. It challenges their misconceptions.
I did the “world religions” tour myself,
but there’s no place like home.

😃

I am converting to Catholicism because:
  1. Not only do I not believe in “once saved, always saved”, I find this idea to be offensive. No human can declare another human saved; and I have personally witnessed some terrible behavior by self-declared Christians who used the excuse that they can do and say whatever they want because they are “saved.” The Catholic teaching that we must constantly keep on our toes by being honest, confessing and doing penance rings much more true and honest to me.
  2. I do not believe that “Bible alone” is the way to anything.
  3. I find church services without a the component of a reverent Eucharist to be completely pointless.
  4. I hate the way many (though not all) Protestant denominations distort history in order to make sure their believers don’t start questioning too much. The Catholic Church objectively has history on its side.
In sum, I believe that Catholicism is much more than a religion, it is a way of living every aspect of one’s life in accordance with the teachings of Christ. I believe that most of Protestantism, especially in the United States, is centered around taking the easy way out of most things: personal accountability first and foremost. I spent years railing against the offensive hypocrisy of Christianity, before slowly realizing that all of my problems with Christianity were actually problems with Protestantism.
:hug3:

1. Prosperity theology was everywhere.
  2. Authors with no credentials or with an honorary theology degree or with whatever degree but so what? And the pastors and elders treating the authors of shallow self-help books as if they knew everything while saying “We don’t need a Pope telling us how to read the Bible.” No, just a lot of random people on TV, I suppose.🤷
  3. Learning more about the lives of the reformers and comparing Henry VIII and John Calvin et al to the saints, I had little trouble choosing whom I would prefer to emulate.
  4. So many lies spreaing about the Catholics that I had to reflect on how Jesus said that we are blessed when people say all kinds of evil against us for His sake.
  5. So many denominations treating one another like wanna-be’s and really looking down on Caholics that I reflected on how Jesus said His disciples would be recognized by their love for one another.

One thing I ask of the Lord, this I seek, to dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.

:hug3:
  1. Prosperity theology was everywhere.
  2. Authors with no credentials or with an honorary theology degree or with whatever degree but so what? And the pastors and elders treating the authors of shallow self-help books as if they knew everything while saying “We don’t need a Pope telling us how to read the Bible.” No, just a lot of random people on TV, I suppose.🤷
  3. Learning more about the lives of the reformers and comparing Henry VIII and John Calvin et al to the saints, I had little trouble choosing whom I would prefer to emulate.
  4. So many lies spreaing about the Catholics that I had to reflect on how Jesus said that we are blessed when people say all kinds of evil against us for His sake.
  5. So many denominations treating one another like wanna-be’s and really looking down on Caholics that I reflected on how Jesus said His disciples would be recognized by their love for one another.
You have just shamed me of my behaviour without ever pointing a finger. Thank you.

Life’s roads let me down many paths in search for TRUTH.

Took me over 15 years of bouncing around different denominations. When I began to study Catholicism I thought this was going to be an easy task of discrediting another Christian denomination. I gave Catholicism a fair shake Iike I did all the other denominations. IT was TRUTH that kept me in the Roman Catholic Church. I tried all I could to kick the Catholic Church out of my family, all I was doing was hurting my own foot against a massive Rock that will not move on its Christian teachings. Like St. Paul, if you can’t beat them, Join them.

Truth, Jesus Christ is what keeps me from being Protestant. I found Nations, kings, Peoples, Countries, Human Laws will always Change, But the Catholic Church is the only one that can withstand the test of time. There is something divine about that. I figure it will be here when Jesus comes back, so I will hand on to my love ones what the Catholic Church has handed to me and keeps helping me to grow in my faith.

1. They “shop” for a church until they find one that “fits them” >>>>>>
I was raised Catholic (mom & dad divorced when I was an infant, lived with her in NY, got into trouble, so she sent me to live with my dad at age 15. With no Catholic family in sight, I decided at 15 I didn’t need to go to Mass anymore. I wanted to do what I wanted to do & no one was stopping me. Met my future husband (raised Baptist) but was a non church goer too. Religion was a non issue for us. Got married in 1986.

We had a daughter in 1996.

1998-my father-in-law died & on his death bed asked my husband to get his family into a church. So as a promise he made to his dad we started church shopping. He refused Catholic, I refused Baptist. We never discussed the why not to either of the churches we were raised in. I do remember though one argument we had & it had to do with the Virgin Mary. I did stand up for her to him ( I do think that I had some intersession going on 😉 ) And even after that I still decided to go to a non-denom with him.

In 2002 we went to a “hip” & “cool” non denom here locally. The music was great, the pastor could capture your attention, etc.
What irked me was the constant “message” of tithing. They would have people come on stage & give their testimony of how their tithing led them to greater treasures etc.
Later on that year one of the deacons was diagnosed with cancer & every week the pastor drilled into our heads that all we needed was faith for this deacon to overcome his cancer. The man died. Someone didn’t have enough faith & that’s why he died…
That was it for me, I was done going there.

We headed down the road to the next non-denom, great music, great speaker, etc. I noticed that besides feeling like I wasn’t in a church, the preacher was not accessible. Once he’s done with his sermon, there’s an alter call, the prayer ministers come out & pray with the people that accept Jesus & the pastor disappears until next week. That’s it.

All this time I always knew deep within my heart that something was missing from these places.

I went searching for my faith here on the net, found this site & others also, & had such a thirst for the church I was born into. Found out my local church had a website, they had a discussion group after Christmas & Easter for us wandering Catholics that were interested in returning & I went to the first session the week after Easter last year.

Husband still goes to his nondenom, we still argue over things, but I’m back, although not in full communion. He has agreed to having our marriage convalidated finally…

My husband still refuses to become Catholic. Although over these months he has come to some understanding, & believes in quite a bit of what we believe. His thing is “different strokes for different folks”…whatever. All I can do is pray!

One more thing, the non denoms we went to do have communion. How often I don’t know. Not weekly, I know that. But my husband came to me a few weeks ago & told me he realized that every time I missed church back then that that was when they did communion. I thought about that for a minute & I told him that maybe God didn’t want me there to begin with & he wanted me home…

…my husband came to me a few weeks ago & told me he realized that every time I missed church back then that that was when they did communion. I thought about that for a minute & I told him that maybe God didn’t want me there to begin with & he wanted me home…
So true!

I will pray for your family:crossrc:

I now am, after the Lord led me out of the Catholic Church and into the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back