Why cant I make up my mind about staying Protestant or becoming Catholic

  • Thread starter Thread starter yogosans14
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also recommend By What Authority? by Mark Shea. This will help you with a lot of questions.
 
Hi! I’m in the same boat as you. Get a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and read through it.(if you haven’t already) It can be gotten from most religious bookstores and doesn’t cost a lot. if anything it has given me a great deal of respect for the Catholic Church.
I won’t go into my whole long spiritual journey as I don’t want to take over your thread, but hubby and I are both looking at Rome and Orthodoxy. That fact that Hubby is willing to become Catholic has got to be a Holy Spirit thing as he was raised in a Fundamentalist home that believed the Catholic Church was the whore of Babylon!! He was impressed with the Church’s pro-life stance and JPII and Benedict XVI. He became a Lutheran for me -long story-it was the first liturgical church he ever attended in his life-and we’ve been attending that church for 22 years so he understands a lot now he didn’t before.
We have some roadblocks, though, which I may detail in another thread.
My brother and his wife started to take RCIA classes but quit and are staying with the Lutheran church for now-wife had issues with a few things.
One doesn’t even have to buy the Catholic Catechism. Its available online. I like this one:

scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

Jon
 
For a lot of us, this is a process that takes years.

Bear the burden with humility, with patience and with lots and lots of prayer.

It took me more than 20 years to come back to the Catholic Church. I read (still do) like a mad man. I met with several different Pastors from different denominations, talked/emailed with Theology professors that would lend an ear, exchanged thoughts with many wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ (JonNC being one of them, and whose integrity is without question - God Bless you, my friend).

Also, get deeply into Scriptures. Read them daily and repeatedly.

You will lose some friends and make some friends. In the end, the true friends remain.

God Bless you in your journey.
 
My mind keeps returning to the conversation I had with a charismatic Protestant friend of mine several days ago. She attends one of those non-denominational megachurches where the co-pastors are husband and wife and the worship services are very emotional with lots of shouting, hands up in the air, etc. She told me one of her friends at church who allegedly has the gift of prophecy said recently that there will be a major revival in 2014. Wouldn’t it surprise them if that revival ends up being Protestants coming home to Rome? 🙂
 
I have never been into a Catholic Church but I have seen the Mass many times on the internet and TV. Anyways I believe much like a Protestant (Faith alone we are saved, bible is #1 Authority, Heaven Hell no purgatory, gifts of the spirit like speaking in tounges are for today, mary is not to prayed to) but I still feel drawn to the Church…whats wrong with me?
I don’t know that anyone is wrong with you, but your statements (taken together) do make an odd impression.

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more. For example, you said that you have never been to a Catholic mass … have you ever been to an Anglican or Lutheran mass/liturgy (catholic with a small “c”)?
 
Sounds like you are open to God’s will for your life. I’ll be on the banks of the Tober with a towel when you join the swim team!
 
I have never been into a Catholic Church but I have seen the Mass many times on the internet and TV. Anyways I believe much like a Protestant (Faith alone we are saved, bible is #1 Authority, Heaven Hell no purgatory, gifts of the spirit like speaking in tounges are for today, mary is not to prayed to) but I still feel drawn to the Church…whats wrong with me?
yogosans14 in Christ,

I believe that you are searching and responding to God’s call. Your questions can all be answered. Stick around these forums and explore the issues which seem to present difficulties for your conversion. Likewise, read Catholic books and tracts that address your issues. I will pray for you on your journey home.

God bless.
 
I have never been into a Catholic Church but I have seen the Mass many times on the internet and TV. Anyways I believe much like a Protestant (Faith alone we are saved, bible is #1 Authority, Heaven Hell no purgatory, gifts of the spirit like speaking in tounges are for today, mary is not to prayed to) but I still feel drawn to the Church…whats wrong with me?
Nothing is wrong with you. Maybe you are fighting the urge to seek the Truth. Many have felt that. Pick up a book called Surprised by Truth by Patrick Madrid.
 
Surprised by Truth by Patrick Madrid is very good and interesting. There are about 10 stories of people who struggled with problems they had with the Catholic faith. I believe all of the problems you mentioned are treated in their struggles.

amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0964261081/ref=sr_1_1_up_1_main_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392530620&sr=1-1&condition=used

Another book which has explainations of your questions is Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating. Clear and easy to understand.

amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0898701775/ref=sr_1_1_up_1_main_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392530257&sr=1-1&condition=used

I believe once you begin to see the answers your tension will begin to subside.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top