Why did the Early Christians hide from the Romans?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MarkA16
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MarkA16

Guest
This is the question I asked after I saw the video of “The World’s Greatest Secret”. It’s really moving, makes me want to cry.

Here is the video:
youtube.com/watch?v=AIl6r-eFyec

In the video it says why they were hiding, but I want proof. I sent a private message the user and I’m just waiting for a response.

Maybe you can tell me what they are hiding before you watch the video.

Thanks.
 
This is the question I asked after I saw the video of “The World’s Greatest Secret”. It’s really moving, makes me want to cry.

Here is the video:
youtube.com/watch?v=AIl6r-eFyec

In the video it says why they were hiding, but I want proof. I sent a private message the user and I’m just waiting for a response.

Maybe you can tell me what they are hiding before you watch the video.

Thanks.
They were hiding the Eucharist, which is the highpoint of Christian Liturgy. In the early days, non-Christians weren’t even allowed to be present for the Consecration and distribution, which is the reason for the modern dismissing of Catechumens. The Romans heard rumors of Christians “eating the flesh of their savior”, and a frequent accusation against them was cannibalism; they would not deny eating the flesh of Christ. They underwent persecution for the vilest of crimes (of which they were innocent) because of their dedication to the teaching of the Real Presence.

To read how strongly the Fathers held to this belief, check out this tract from Catholic Answers:

catholic.com/library/Real_Presence.asp

Note what Ignatius of Antioch wrote in 110 A.D., and you can understand why the Romans who were completely unfamiliar with Apostolic teaching were a bit freaked out. It didn’t help that the Christians often met in catacombs, underground graveyards, in order to avoid persecution (and be close to the relics of the Saints).

Peace and God bless!
 
Is there any other source that can give me information on what happened in those days?

According to Jack Chick, he said that the real Christians were hiding from the Roman Catholics.

Now, don’t think that I’m going with what Jack Chick said. I’m asking because I want to know how one comes up with an answer on why the Christians were running from the Romans. I do believe they were hiding the Eucharist, just as you and the video said, but I want to be able to explain to people.

edit: I guess also at the same time, prove that the Romans were not Roman Catholics that wanted to persecute the true Christians.
 
First off thanks for sharing the video MarkA16.

I’m not really sure how to answer your question. I understand what you’re asking but I guess it would be hard to answer because no one’s really ever found Christians from that era that weren’t Catholic.
 
Thank you all for your replies. I finally got a reply from Steve Silvia on YouTube. This is what he said:

to answer your questions, you need to read about the roman emperors- pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/maps/primary/pliny.html and also roman-emperors.org/decius.htm also Pliny states " However, they assured me that the main of their fault, or of their mistake was this:-That they were wont, on a stated day, to meet together before it was light, and to sing a hymn to Christ, as to a god, alternately; and to oblige themselves by a sacrament [or oath], not to do anything that was ill: but that they would commit no theft, or pilfering, or adultery; that they would not break their promises, or deny what was deposited with them, when it was required back again; after which it was their custom to depart, and to meet again at a common but innocent meal, which they had left off upon that edict which I published at your command, and wherein I had forbidden any such conventicles. These examinations made me think it necessary to inquire by torments what the truth was; which I did of two servant maids, who were called Deaconesses: but still I discovered no more than that they were addicted to a bad and to an extravagant superstition. Hereupon I have put off any further examinations, and have recourse to you, for the affair seems to be well worth consultation, especially on account of the number of those that are in danger; for there are many of every age, of every rank, and of both sexes, who are now and hereafter likely to be called to account, and to be in danger; for this superstition is spread like a contagion, not only into cities and towns, but into country villages also, which yet there is reason to hope may be stopped and corrected." Pliny letter was in response to the problem of the growing number of christians, and to make a decree that they would be killed, to solve the problem. Like Peter and Paul, many were killed, and the romans could not understand why they were willing to die for what they considered a strange superstition, of gathering to eat a meal together. in the bible st. Steven was killed while carrying the secret.
<><><><><>
I guess I’ll have to read about the Roman emperors. 🙂
 
Is there any other source that can give me information on what happened in those days?
Archaelogical excavations that have been undertaken in the catacombs have given us quite a lot of verification of who those early Christians were.

“The World’s Greatest Secret” by John M. Haffert is an excellent book that includes photos of the graffiti on the walls of the tombs etc and their significance.

When they excavated beneath Saint Peter’s Basilica starting in 1939 they found Peter’s cemetery. A well-documented book on the Real Presence in the Eucharist and the early history of the Catholic Church during the Age of Martyrs. Includes archaelogical discoveries including the finding of St. Peter’s tomb.
 
40.png
MarkA16:
According to Jack Chick, he said that the real Christians were hiding from the Roman Catholics.
The only other “Christians” around in those, who are recorded in history, were the “Montanists, the Paulicians, Donatists, Waldenses, the Anabaptists” . A study of their beliefs and teachings quickly show that they were heretics according to the teachings of Christ and the writers of the NT.

That just leaves what you call “Roman Catholics” . A study of the writings of the Apostolic & Early Church Fathers makes it clear that they believed and taught what the Church does today.
 
I read about St. Tarcisius and was surprised that it CLEARLY says that he was a martyr for the EARLY CHRISTIAN CHURCH. Died because he refused to give up the Eucharist to the Romans (pagan mob?). 🙂

I mean, it states clearly that he is a member of the early Christian church, and that the early Christians DID follow Christ’s teaching of the Eucharist.

With that said, I was like, come on, can Protestants really not believe this?

🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top