First off, I’d like to caution the few Catholics who are saying, effectively, ‘the Bible was transcribed by mere humans, things got distorted!’.
Don’t go there. You don’t want to. Trust me on this.
The Church holds that the entire Bible is the inerrant word of God – even if it was written down by human hands – and I’m afraid that position is non-negotiable: you’re stuck with it. If you start saying such-and-such passage is
not inerrant, you’re going to open yourselves wide up for people saying ‘so why should we trust the veracity of this less-repulsive but still inconvenient passage?’ It’ll blow your credibility right out of the water. Don’t do it. Certainly, there is literal truth and there is metaphysical truth (and, if I remember right – which I probably am not – three other varieties), but the passages being discussed are explicitly histories.
Continuing on, yes, God committed, commanded, and condoned some pretty mindblowingly ugly things in the Old Testament, and bears are just the tip of the iceberg. It’s extremely difficult to reconcile that history with the loving father figure presented in the teachings of Jesus. From an outsider’s point of view, it’s all but impossible to look at the God shown in the Old Testament and the God shown in the New Testament and say ‘yeah, same one’.
The Gnostics took the easy way out of this problem, by holding that the being referred to as ‘God’ in the Old Testament was in reality an evil spirit, the Demiurge. Obviously this isn’t an acceptable Catholic answer. I don’t have one of those, and I’m not sure there
is one.
‘The Lord giveth, and he taketh away’, certainly, but ‘The Lord punisheth the well-intentioned but accident-prone’
a la Uzzah? Does a loving, just, merciful father really do such a thing? Does he set his children against each other in genocidal wars, or command them to make slaves of each other?
It’s a tough question, and one to which I cannot find a satisfying answer that remains compatible with Catholic teaching. I wish those of you concerned over the theological history of your faith better luck than I
