3
300WhiteKnights
Guest
In Judaism wasn’t it against the law to make statues of God or to physically depict God? If so, then how is it in Catholicism that it is ok to paint God in stain glass windows and paintings?
Because God chose to depict Himself, in the Person of Jesus of Nazareth.In Judaism wasn’t it against the law to make statues of God or to physically depict God? If so, then how is it in Catholicism that it is ok to paint God in stain glass windows and paintings?
Amen!Because God chose to depict Himself, in the Person of Jesus of Nazareth.
Couldn’t have said it any better.Because God chose to depict Himself, in the Person of Jesus of Nazareth.
I think the commandment was against idolatry. These images were used wrongly, worshipping snakes, lizards, etc., not the true God. Further, people of that time were quite primitive, actually believed the images WERE God, not just representations of one.In Judaism wasn’t it against the law to make statues of God or to physically depict God? If so, then how is it in Catholicism that it is ok to paint God in stain glass windows and paintings?
My understanding is that Christ Himself is an image, thus it becomes acceptable to depict God.
The above are correct. We had a council about this 1200 years ago (cf. Iconoclasm)Because God chose to depict Himself, in the Person of Jesus of Nazareth.
In the early days of Christendom, most people were illiterate and creating sacred images conveyed important information to the people. And still do.Images are helpful when we are trying to understand. I have found them most helpful, especially when growing up. I’d see depictions of Christ in various aspects of his life, understand much better than without.
Even as an adult, I have a Bible. To accompany it, I got an illustrated book. Though I’m an adult, the illustrations made all the difference in my understanding of biblical events. They acted as visual aids.
“A picture is worth 1,000 words”, right?
I volunteer with the blind. I read to a 17 y.o. who pretty much can’t see. I have to try to describe pictures, and it’s actually quite hard. A picture really does convey a tremendous amount of information like few other things can.
Pictures, images, and art are also helpful, for anyone learning, particularly children.
Among the Jewish religious groups, the word God cannot be spelled out in full. I don’t know if any of the branches can: Ultra-Orthodox, Orthodox, Reform, etc.That’s why spelling out God is okay, too. No need for G-d (which, frankly, I never understood since whether you use the letter O or a dash/hyphen, you’re still using symbols to represent a word that refer to the same thing…O or no O, you’re still making a representation of God…)
For visual representations, like paintings etc, God gave us an amazing adaptation called Sight. And it would be hard to argue that Sight is just for safety purposes, rather we also enjoy the site of things and are reminded of good (and bad) things by sight. So, seeing an image of God that we can relate internally to a prayerful and loving memory of God, then I think God would be pleased.
Afterall, he did command images of him be made AND created us in his likeness, so unless we dont look at eachother either…![]()
I have worked in literacy in the US (and Mexico), and they said there were about 1/5 people who couldn’t read at a functional level (5th grade reading level) in the US. So, we have some illiteracy today, believe it or not. These statistics are often much worse in some other countries, so images are helpful, today.In the early days of Christendom, most people were illiterate and creating sacred images conveyed important information to the people. And still do.
Peace,
Ed
Of the thousands of words in the Bible there is no mention or instruction ,( from God) in relation to his worship , to make any kind of image .There are countless types or figures of Christ in the OT .“A picture is worth 1,000 words”, right?
My friend, evangelion means “good” and “news/report”, but not necessarily words. An “angelos” in Greek is a messenger - someone who conveys information to you. I think of the messenger at the battle of Marathon who ran to report to the Greeks that they won the battle.I believe our faith is to be rooted in the evangel ( words) and that through He who gave us it.
“Faith cometh by hearing ,and hearing by the word of God”
In primitive times, people made objects that they said WERE gods. They were sculptures of beasts, snakes, a golden calf. People bowed down to these saying that the images were gods.Of the thousands of words in the Bible there is no mention or instruction ,( from God) in relation to his worship , to make any kind of image .There are countless types or figures of Christ in the OT .
Even in regards the Temple at Jerusalem,Jesus showed us : It too was a picture or a representation,more meaningful than words alone (John2:19)
“Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up”
The passover lamb ,also is but to name a few .
For me, that creation by God the Holy Ghost ,in the womb of the virgin,resulting in the incarnation ,which was acted upon ,uniquely ;and through the initiative of God alone :in three persons. It was not ,I believe ,an invitation to “go and do likewise” and present(however well intentioned) or reproduce his image ,from our imaginations.
The word “God " is seen or approved for use in the NT; but as regards the image of his person:
2Corinthians 5:16 " though we have known Christ after the flesh ,yet now henceforth know we him no more”
If then ,for those who actually witnessed his bodily image and person ,visual sight or physical attachment thereby ,was ,in my opinion ,an obstacle to faith : “the substance of things hoped for ,the evidence of things not seen”( Heb11:1)
Then what of mere pictures ?
John 20:17 “Touch me not ,for I have not yet ascended to my Father”
This is the lesson I believe ,Jesus was teaching to Mary.
I believe our faith is to be rooted in the evangel ( words) and that through He who gave us it.
“Faith cometh by hearing ,and hearing by the word of God”
I’ve always wondered about the icon of coronation of Mary. If Mary is queen, is God the Father just so infinitely greater that there is no equivalent title we can envision and He just “Is”?I kind of think that the OP meant God the Father. In my experience such depictions are rare, and I shy away from them myself. I have seen photos of stained glass windows of the Holy Trinity with the Father as an old man with a beard on the left, the Holy Spirit as a dove in the centre and then Jesus as a young man on the right.
But churches around here tend to be newish and I have never seen one in person.
Friend,my reference to the evangel ,or as you rightly say the message of “good”" news " ,is in the context of the NT ; and as such is used singularly in connection with the preached Gospel.My friend, evangelion means “good” and “news/report”, but not necessarily words. An “angelos” in Greek is a messenger - someone who conveys information to you. I think of the messenger at the battle of Marathon who ran to report to the Greeks that they won the battle.