Why do countries still not recognize Armenian Genocide?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Prodigal1984
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Prodigal1984

Guest
1.5 million people died in this and yet only some 32 countries officially recognize it.
Even the U.S doesn’t officially. ( though 49 states do themselves).
This is sick in my eyes. People are scolded if they are Holocaust deniers.( which they should be), but this is just as ridiculous yet noone bats an eye.
1.5 million people died and 100 years later people are worried about “offending” Turkey.
Really? Should I not talk about Holocaust either so I don’t “offend” Germany?
 
Last edited:
The big difference is that postwar Germany recognized its guilt, paid reparations, and allowed Jewish survivors and victims’ families to return to Germany and settle there, if they wished. In contrast, every Turkish government, all the way across the political spectrum, has been dead set against admitting any responsibility, or paying reparations, or allowing Armenian families to return to their ancestral homeland in Turkey. It is important to Turkey to ensure that no international body, neither the UN nor any international court, should even attempt to pass judgment on it for its crimes committed against Armenians, as well as against Greeks and other Christians who were massacred or expelled in the 1920s.
 
You have to understand that the Turks do not see the Republic of Turkey as a continuation of the Ottoman Empire and do not believe they should be held accountable for the Ottomans’ crimes… a nonsensical position if you ask me.
 
The US was not responsible for the Armenian genocide, so why should America be offended?
 
The Cold War is over.

Denying the Armenian genocide has never been a big thing here in the US.

In fact, some Americans don’t know that there is such a country called Armenia.
 
Was this intentional on their part or was it the effect of depriving the most productive farmers of their lands which in turn caused starvation?
 
I don’t know who said this but here goes

There is a saying

“Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.”

It’s not so much as denial as ignorance.

I know about this genocide because I am friends with several Armenians.
 
Last edited:
Well that’s what I’m talking about.
When I was in grade school we had to learn about the Holocaust. It was like an entire quarter one school year. And don’t get me wrong 11 million people died in that.
But I think it is a great disservice that people are unaware of this genocide which happened frankly in Europe as well. I’ve heard different views of whether Turkey is Europe or not. Probably because it is Islamic but geographically it probably is.
If the Ottomans never conquered Byzantium it would be considered Europe without a doubt.
 
Knowing the Soviet Union, it was probably a combination of bad management, malicious intent, and the ridiculously unworkable economics of Communism.
 
The Armenian Genocide, as well as the Maronite famine and Assyrian Genocide, mostly happened in and around the Middle East, not in Turkey.

Look up the death marches to Syria if you’re interested in knowing more.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top