Why do grandparents expect clean grandchildren (or why do parents try to get this done)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Giggly_Giraffe
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Giggly_Giraffe

Guest
So, I’m watching Seasame Street:popcorn:, and little bear is dressed in a suit and tie and told to keep clean because he was going to the grandparents…Murphy’s law makes this a long wait, and baby bear destroyes his white shirt. Then baby bear does all he can to clean up without luck. Watching this, I’m realizing this must be universal.

My story is the grandparents come by 2-5 times a week, and for some reason they act like their grandchildren should be immaculately clean … Eat with grace and manners … And to act like little angels. Their grandchildren are 18 months and 3 months old. Have kids changed that much from the time they raised their kids (my husband) to how I’m raising mine???:newidea:
 
Nope!

Kids are still messy sticky things.

I think its a bit of revisionist history in the memories of some of the aged.
 
I’ve never had a problem with my kids, or the kids in my class, staying clean :confused: Unless there are drooling issues, I’m not sure why they’d get dirty except by accident. They all have free access to paints, play doh, etc.
 
Nope!

Kids are still messy sticky things.

I think its a bit of revisionist history in the memories of some of the aged.
You’ve got it.

I was blessed with parents that understood children, at least most of the time. Mom and Dad fully expected to find my son wearing play clothes with dirt smudges on his face. Of course, they were the kind of grandparents that kept clothes, diapers and a portable crib at their house. As he got older they planned meals that always included some of his favorites.

My in-laws were different. They were like the “family” on Seasame Street. What a nightmare. 😦 They rarely had anything at their house for him to do. And meals were always very adult consisting of spicy, many unusual ingredient dishes.

I just read these descriptions to my son. He laughed and told me I nailed it. 😊
 
That was your first mistake…
👍:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

If my grandkids show up clean, I guarantee they won’t LEAVE that way!!! I will hand them back sticky, covered in dirt, with glitter in their hair, and bugs in their pockets and say, “Bring 'em back tomorrow, we didn’t get everything done!!!”
 
👍:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

If my grandkids show up clean, I guarantee they won’t LEAVE that way!!! I will hand them back sticky, covered in dirt, with glitter in their hair, and bugs in their pockets and say, “Bring 'em back tomorrow, we didn’t get everything done!!!”
👍👍

My MIL will usually give my kid a bath if he gets that dirty, but that’s just another fun activity for him that is fun to share with his Nona. She is a neat lady, but she gets that kids are kids. 😃

I actually worry about going to my parents’ house because their house is not very clean (wasn’t clean growing up, either). They live across the country so we don’t make it there often, but I usually go on a cleaning frenzy when we get there because who knows what DS will find to put in his mouth. :eek:
 
👍👍

My MIL will usually give my kid a bath if he gets that dirty, but that’s just another fun activity for him that is fun to share with his Nona. She is a neat lady, but she gets that kids are kids. 😃

I actually worry about going to my parents’ house because their house is not very clean (wasn’t clean growing up, either). They live across the country so we don’t make it there often, but I usually go on a cleaning frenzy when we get there because who knows what DS will find to put in his mouth. :eek:
I’ll give 'em a bath if it’s winter but then they wouldn’t get as dirty anyway. In the summer, it’s outside into the swimming pool or hose 'em down and then into the pool.

😃

I can’t wait to have grandkids! 👍
 
👍:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

If my grandkids show up clean, I guarantee they won’t LEAVE that way!!! I will hand them back sticky, covered in dirt, with glitter in their hair, and bugs in their pockets and say, “Bring 'em back tomorrow, we didn’t get everything done!!!”
That’s how I feel. 👍

And thankfully that is how my mom felt.
 
It’s a fantasy they are working on that their family is perfect…

Perfect is over rated. behind it lies fear of not being good enough. I bet Jesus played with the grubby children & loved it. I know i do! Most days they were clean before bed. Some of my fondest memmories…camping. A fun filled dirt attracting activity.👍
 
How do you know they want the kids to be extremely clean and to eat with grace and manners when they are 1 year of age and 3 months? Might be going out on a limb here but unless something is very wrong they should probably keep judgements like that to themselves, lighten up, and enjoy the precious time they have with their very young grandkids every week. Kids grow up so fast. They had their chance to parent and if the parents are lovingly raising their own kids, they might consider it is their time to have fun just enjoying the ages and stages as grandparents.
 
I do not consider myself responsible for the cleanliness or lack thereof of my grandkids, unless it is going to church or something like that. The baton is passed; let their parents take care of it. I want to have fun.:cool:
 
My story is the grandparents come by 2-5 times a week, and for some reason they act like their grandchildren should be immaculately clean … Eat with grace and manners … And to act like little angels. Their grandchildren are 18 months and 3 months old. Have kids changed that much from the time they raised their kids (my husband) to how I’m raising mine???:newidea:
They are in-laws. Next time they criticize, tell them you are rolling the kids in the mud later and didn’t want to waste the water cleaning them up.

Okay, maybe only I’d do that, but these kids are going to pick up on this soon and they will not think there is something wrong with you, they will think there is something wrong with them. Mama bear time:

Your husband needs to tell them firmly to knock it off and he needs to do it in front of you. You are not an interloper, you are his wife and it’s time to establish that. And they must always call before visiting, I don’t care if they live upstairs. Your house, your kids, your rules or they can just stay home. And sometimes you won’t want them there. Be prepared to say so.

(I get so irritated when I hear about people who think children are deaf…)
 
👍:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

If my grandkids show up clean, I guarantee they won’t LEAVE that way!!! I will hand them back sticky, covered in dirt, with glitter in their hair, and bugs in their pockets and say, “Bring 'em back tomorrow, we didn’t get everything done!!!”
Even my Grandmother…who was completely OCD about her house being immaculate…was known to break out the shaving cream so we could have fun or having us decorate cup cakes with chocolate frosting (you can see where this led!)

When it came to the grandkids…all bets were off! 👍

My parents? Put it this way…they are all about getting on the ground with their 7 month old GD and rolling around with her…they were all about getting outside and playing in the sand with us…this isn’t going to change at all with the grandkids.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top