Why do people watch Oprah?

  • Thread starter Thread starter turtle18
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her main audience is unemployed or underemployed people who don’t work during the week. Also, stay at home moms and people who work weird hours, and are starved for entertainment. Considering that daytime TV is a vast wasteland of gameshows and tawdry tabloid TV. Oprah stands out as slightly more pseudo-intellectually stimulating with her thin veneer of respectability.

She appeals, somehow to a common demominator, sometimes the lowest one. She appeals to less advantaged people who like to hear that she, too, struggles with her weight, it makes them identify with her.
How elitist of you. And Christian I might add. :mad:

I’ll have you know that when I was working (and a productive member of society in your opinion) that I still watched Oprah.

It’s amazing how you can judge someone just by the shows they watch.
 
She appeals, somehow to a common demominator, sometimes the lowest one. She appeals to less advantaged people who like to hear that she, too, struggles with her weight, it makes them identify with her.
I beg to differ. I personally see many smart, intelligent, fully-employed working women who watch Oprah on a regular basis. It’s not a matter of social status or mental capacity that determines the regular Oprah-watcher. Rather, it’s whether or not they rely on, depend on, or believe in her and the content matter that she presents. It can also stem from mere boredom…watching habits do get formed.

I’m not trying to justify why anyone watches Oprah - personally, I haven’t ever since she’s taken on the stance that she’s “all-knowing” and thinks she has the authority to proclaim it. I’m just trying to give some type of reasoning as to why people may watch her.
 
It’s amazing how you can judge someone just by the shows they watch.
Not that you should judge people at all, but TV shows people watch can tell you a lot about someone (not really talking about Oprah specifically.)
 
I beg to differ. I personally see many smart, intelligent, fully-employed working women who watch Oprah on a regular basis. It’s not a matter of social status or mental capacity that determines the regular Oprah-watcher. Rather, it’s whether or not they rely on, depend on, or believe in her and the content matter that she presents. It can also stem from mere boredom…watching habits do get formed.

I’m not trying to justify why anyone watches Oprah - personally, I haven’t ever since she’s taken on the stance that she’s “all-knowing” and thinks she has the authority to proclaim it. I’m just trying to give some type of reasoning as to why people may watch her.
I agree with your post…

I watch her show when she has a show that interests me…which is maybe 1 a week or 1 in two weeks 🤷
 
I also disagree about the viewing audience. I work in a hospital lab. We all have Bachelor’s Degrees, and many have higher degrees. And many of the women watch Oprah. Many tape her and watch her show in the evening.

I think that we need to be careful not to ignore the Oprah factor. Even if we don’t watch, we should be aware of the tremendous influence that she has on American culture.

Her endorsement of a certain Presidential candidate is one reason why that candidate is probably going to be the nominee. If Oprah had endorsed the other Presidential candidate from that same Party, I honestly think that that candidate would be the nominee.

And if by some miracle Oprah withdraws her endorsement and endorses the Presidential candidate from the other party, I truly believe that that candidate would win the election!

She has a lot of power, and we would do well to be aware of what she is up to on her show. We don’t have to watch her regularly, but it would behoove us to tune in once in a while and keep tabs on her. It will help us to explain various aspects of our culture and society in the U.S.

I also think that we should recognize her good traits. She literally rose to her position of power from nothing. She has a lot of creative talent. She’s a wonderful speaker. She’s generous with her wealth, more so than I am with my money. She’s intelligent and she’s savvy and good at spotting trends before they become trends. She’s honest about her weight issues, which has been a tremendous help to many of us who struggle just like she does (and she’s RICH–she has a chef to make all her food, and she STILL can’t lose weight! I don’t feel so bad about my failures!) She is a good interviewer who comes across as caring and interested in the stories of other people, and she doesn’t have any silly mannerisms during her interviews (like David Letterman–yecch!) And she’s physically one of the most beautiful women in the world.

I see nothing wrong with admiring these attributes and holding her up as a role model for girls and teenagers. As Christians, we need to make sure that we don’t excuse her faults (living with a man without benefit of marriage, endorsing pro-choice candidates, etc.) But we can still admire the admirable traits of Oprah.
 
From what I understand, she is the ugliest person in the world (according to her words)…it is her makeup people that can transform her from ugly duckling to a beauty. And this says a lot.

It is most like what we see in her power. Her power is not from God. And while her power seems great, which it is, it may also be demonic. There are enough seemingly caring people on TV…but they may not be powerful. A philanthropist does not necesarily have power…just money power.

You can look at her the good traits she has, but before I even do that, I would like to see her repent. I would like her to renounce New Age and all of its wickedness. I would for her to stop confirming beliefs that are contrary to her christian faith. I would have liked for her to stop endorsing Obama…who is most certainly a most pro-abortion sayer.

Her power is not from God nor it is human. Which may explain why she is so influencable. Women, poor or rich, young or old, will find a ‘something’ that causes them to be ‘salved’ by her. Whether weight, money, love, etc. She will always have a flock…
 
From what I understand, she is the ugliest person in the world (according to her words)…it is her makeup people that can transform her from ugly duckling to a beauty. And this says a lot.

It is most like what we see in her power. **Her power is not from God. And while her power seems great, which it is, it may also be demonic. **There are enough seemingly caring people on TV…but they may not be powerful. A philanthropist does not necesarily have power…just money power.

You can look at her the good traits she has, but before I even do that, I would like to see her repent. I would like her to renounce New Age and all of its wickedness. I would for her to stop confirming beliefs that are contrary to her christian faith. I would have liked for her to stop endorsing Obama…who is most certainly a most pro-abortion sayer.
Her power is not from God nor it is human. Which may explain why she is so influencable. Women, poor or rich, young or old, will find a ‘something’ that causes them to be ‘salved’ by her. Whether weight, money, love, etc. She will always have a flock…
I really think you need to chose your words wisely here. It’s obvious that you don’t know her personally and neither do I so I can’t even make that assumption. It’s no secret that Oprah is not Catholic, so I don’t think it’s fair to hold her to our standards. If she’s into New Age, so what. What can you do but pray for her? When those shows are on, I don’t watch them. But saying that you won’t accept her until she “repents” sounds kind of judgmental.

We need to love people where they are NOW. I never would have converted to Catholicism if the people I was around hadn’t loved me where I was in my state of life. If they had said, “we can’t accept you until you repent” then I wouldn’t be where I am now.
 
I have no idea why people watch her. Yes she seems to be generous but I to don’t think necessarily trust her reasons why.

I’m at a loss why people watch any of the talk shows really, they are all just varying degrees of Springer. If it weren’t for cable and Food Network I probably wouldn’t watch any TV during the day. I used to watch a lot of HGTV too but since they doing renovations for everyone and their same sex partner… :mad:
 
I used to watch Oprah a lot. I used to enjoy her magazine…and the spin off, Dr. Phil.

I stopped watching Oprah after she had an episode about transgendered children who were allowed to live as the opposite sex.

I stopped reading her magazine because all the products she likes and the products advertised seemed out of my price range. I didn’t want to “covet” things I couldn’t afford, or feel bad that I didn’t have them…

Also, there was an article by a mom of a teen-age daughter. The article was about the "feelings’ the mom had about the daughter’s first time. The conversation was about contraception and “feelings”…but the mom left the “morality” part entirely up to the daughter.

I stopped watching Dr. Phil after an episode about a “group” marriage family, that had small children who were all exposed to the “family’s” lifestyle (read sexual.) One of the woman asked Dr. Phil if he would call child protective services. He had the expression on his face that this scenario was “odd” but he had to be tolerant. Jerry Springer’s show is horrible, but the “odd” people are not really elevated as mainstream. But Dr. Phil, was just nodding and accepting this family’s lifestyle as normal.

:confused:
 
I really think you need to chose your words wisely here. I

I am choosing my words very, very wisely!

t’s obvious that you don’t know her personally and neither do I so I can’t even make that assumption.

There is no assumption whatsoever coming from me. I do not need to know her presonnally to know that she is entangled into something that could very well get her into great trouble.

It’s no secret that Oprah is not Catholic, so I don’t think it’s fair to hold her to our standards.

I hold her up to the christian standard. It is unchristian to involve yourself into a pseudo-spirituality that is basically anti-christian really…

If she’s into New Age, so what.

So what? I am worried for her salvation and for her being wrapped up in this demonic stupidity. It seems like it is you that does not care.

What can you do but pray for her? When those shows are on, I don’t watch them. But saying that you won’t accept her until she “repents” sounds kind of judgmental.

I am not talking in the ways of the world. Her behaviour cannot be accepted and she does need to repent. Let us pray to Our Lady and especially our Lady for her conversion of heart.

We need to love people where they are NOW. I never would have converted to Catholicism if the people I was around hadn’t loved me where I was in my state of life. If they had said, “we can’t accept you until you repent” then I wouldn’t be where I am now.

Yes, love is necessary. But your evotions are getting the better of you. Were you involved in anything demonic? Welcome to the Faith:) but Oprah was a christian…she has turned her back on Jesus in the worst way. She is re-inventing Him and her soul is clouded.
 
No, I was not involved in anything demonic. And I think I have my emotions in check here. I actually pretty good about that. I do see what you mean about her re-inventing Christianity, but I really don’t think that’s her intention.

I think we need to agree to disagree.
 
Since we have retro TV on two broadcast channels, I would rather watch all the reruns. Today it was Perry Mason.
 
No, I was not involved in anything demonic. And I think I have my emotions in check here. I actually pretty good about that. I do see what you mean about her re-inventing Christianity, but I really don’t think that’s her intention.

I think we need to agree to disagree.
Code:
Beautiful baby you have there…what a gift!🙂

You don’t think it is her intention to re-invent christianity???:eek:

I guess we will have to agree to diagree. I believe that Oprah is aware of EVERYTHING she is doing. This is one of her gifts is to be aware of her surroundings. It is just that this gift is being used for unchristian purposes.
 
If you are Catholic, or any Christian for that matter…

Watch the following youtubes, then decided if Oprah deserves any of your attention:

youtube.com/watch?v=uKsw60uAIqU

youtube.com/watch?v=pwGLNbiw1gk&NR=1

youtube.com/watch?v=2FhqBsyCxao&feature=related

youtube.com/watch?v=6tv6Caz4YLw&feature=related

youtube.com/watch?v=jm9HIy78S0Q&feature=related

and her “New Earth Webclass” :
youtube.com/watch?v=bDeLYSu8RPE&NR=1

and she makes 25+million annually from those who think she is worth something.

.
.
 
As much as you complain about Oprah, she can’t be bad as Dr. Phil (supported by Oprah). His shows are becoming eerily like Jerry Springer show
 
If you are Catholic, or any Christian for that matter…

Watch the following youtubes, then decided if Oprah deserves any of your attention:

youtube.com/watch?v=uKsw60uAIqU

youtube.com/watch?v=pwGLNbiw1gk&NR=1

youtube.com/watch?v=2FhqBsyCxao&feature=related

youtube.com/watch?v=6tv6Caz4YLw&feature=related

youtube.com/watch?v=jm9HIy78S0Q&feature=related

and her “New Earth Webclass” :
youtube.com/watch?v=bDeLYSu8RPE&NR=1

and she makes 25+million annually from those who think she is worth something.

.
.
Code:
Just saw a couple of minutes of the first video. Sadly, and I am aware of this for quite some time, she is the devil’s tool or advocate would be a better term! The devil is laughing up a storm. And I am choosing my words very wisely…

Too many people get caught up in feeling and emotion in trying to be ‘nice’. When the damage Oprah is doing is astronomical! Jesus was not ‘nice’ and was crucified for not being so.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top