That is a very Catholic doctrine you’re professing.
Untrue! A member of the Roman Catholic organization is not allowed to interpret the bible for himself (or herself). This is a large part of what some of the reformation was about, as well as the reactionary response. In particular, I point to Tyndale who was murdered because he wanted the ‘boy that pushes the plow’ to know as much scripture as the priest class.
Moreover, the very structure of Catholicism (episcopalian) is against this. RC has a lot of layers of “better” in it.
Who has declared sin “a proper rite”?
My point with this comment is that a sinful tradition doesn’t validate that sin as a righteous act, just because it is tradition. Tradition is NO guide. Scripture is clear that there are famines and rains in the outpouring of his spirit and that those “rains” come independent of man’s organization.
The Pharisees were big proponents of tradition–and that is one of the primary reasons they rejected the Messiah. Are they justified for it? No.
Fair enough.
How does one determine which book is given higher priority or authority? Does Scripture tell us, or must we use an extra-biblical tradition to discern this?
Neither. Scripture and tradition are not the only hermeneutic tools. There are other areas of knowledge (science) that can help us. This is how we know that John 1 is referring to the logos of philosophy, not somehow the bible. Additionally, we know that the ekklesia was a political body, not a religious organization. This makes a major impact on how we view why the Apostles were persecuted. It wasn’t because of a religion. They were preaching about a new Kingdom, with a new King, and the Ekklesia (political body) of that Kingdom. Imagine if someone in the US were preaching about a new government, with a new type of leader (not just electing a different one), and a new congress! Historical perspective is paramount.
But going back to rightly dividing the Bible, I would place the “Histories” as foremost. By Histories I mean the Gospels and Acts. They are superior because they paint a ‘big picture’. They encompass all that Jesus and the apostles did, what they said, and what that means for us. Then I would put general epistles next. Any epistle that was not written to one regional group is also going to have a big picture approach. Hebrews, for example, is huge. It’s the explanation of the Old Covenant, with why and how it became the new covenant. It’s an instruction for all of us.
Somewhere down the line I would place the Epistles of Paul to the churches. I’m not saying his words were inferior in these, but in order to understand the specifics, it’s important to understand the big picture. In a sense, those who value the epistles over the Gospels (for doctrine), are missing the forest for the trees.
I would place Revelation next.
Lastly, I would place the Pastorals. They are almost certainly pseudopigraphs. How do we know they weren’t written by the ‘antichrists’ that James speaks of, who preach a different Gospel?
I put them at the bottom because 1. manuscript evidence against them as first century documents, and 2. they are completely different in their message. They allow for the nicolaitan heresy to thrive!
Is there something in Scripture that tells us what to do if this happens? If not, then I suppose we must use an extra-biblical tradition to discern the answer to this.
There’s nothing in scripture that told us to codify the works of his apostles in the first place. Personally, I would take them seriously–assuming authorship is validated.
Incidentally, are you proposing that anything written by Paul is theopneustos? If so, how do you know this?
Nope. But I do think that the words of the original apostles are to be revered over any tradition or decree of man. Scripture is clear that the apostles (12) are special (12 thrones in heaven, etc). We can’t take that lightly.
How is it you know that Paul’s epistles are theopneustos?
I didn’t say that. I don’t assume that they are. But they do give us insight as to what this crazy Kingdom is all about!! I mean, look at it from a historian’s perspective. The epistles are primary resources to what he and the other apostles believed.