Why do Protestants say Catholicism leads to hell?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SebMurphy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record let me remind you that it wasn’t the Protestant Church that has persecuted and harassed millions of believers.

:mad:
Clearly you have a lot to learn about your own family history. Perhaps you will consider reading history from some other viewpoints, other than anti-Catholic?

Why are you here?
 
Hi Guanophore,

To tell you the truth I was trying to find out more about the Protestant Alliance and did a Google search on it.

One of the links showed that they were mentioned on this forum, intrigued I clicked on it and hey here I was.

I am new to blogging but the subject matter interested me so much that I decided to register. I am glad I did as I have really enjoyed the interaction and have learnt a lot.

I live in a city where some Lollard and Protestant Matyrs were burnt for their faith during the reign of Mary Tudor.
 
… I live in a city where some Lollard and Protestant Matyrs were burnt for their faith during the reign of Mary Tudor.
But see, Mary’s own father killed Catholics for their faith. So how is that any different? How does that put Protestantism on any better moral ground than Catholicism? It’s awfully selective to mention “Protestants burnt for their faith” as an argument against Catholicism yet ignore Catholics burnt for their faith as an argument against Protestantism.
 
Hi,

The only reason I mentioned it is to give you perspective of where I am coming from and if the matyrs happened to have been Catholic I would have mentioned it.

Actually, I did not intend to justify Protestantism thereby.

King Henry VIII was a despot who executed both Catholics and Protestants, the Church of England persecuted Non - Conformist Christians.
 
Hi,

The only reason I mentioned it is to give you perspective of where I am coming from and if the matyrs happened to have been Catholic I would have mentioned it.

Actually, I did not intend to justify Protestantism thereby.

King Henry VIII was a despot who executed both Catholics and Protestants, the Church of England persecuted Non - Conformist Christians.
Getting back to the topic of the thread, it is my opinion that this behavior is the road to hell no matter what the political/religious motives of the persons engaged in it.
 
Hi,

The only reason I mentioned it is to give you perspective of where I am coming from and if the matyrs happened to have been Catholic I would have mentioned it.
There were plenty of martyrs in England, both Protestant and Catholic, from the time of the Reformation onward.

You should pay a visit to St. Andrew’s Cathedral one of these days, and see what the early Presbyterians thought of Apostolic authority (that is, authority derived from Christ, and then passed down from generation to generation in an orderly manner).
 
For the record let me remind you that it wasn’t the Protestant Church that has persecuted and harassed millions of believers.

:mad:
I must have dreamt it that Oliver Cromwell didn’t come to Ireland and burn down all the Catholic Churches and hunt down Catholic Priests, driving people to have impromptu Mass wherever it could have been held.

By the time the zealot Oliver Cromwell arrived on the scene, the Irish were ripe for more carnage . “It has pleased God to bless our endeavors,” he wrote of the mass slaughter in 1649, by his Puritan troops of 3,552 Irish inhabitants of the seaport town of Drogheda, just north of Dublin. He pompously continued, “I am persuaded that this is a righteous judgment of God upon these barbarous wretches.”[10] This Drogheda massacre is one of the leading examples of the insidious British policy of ethnic cleansing in Ireland. Another is Cromwell’s sacking of Wexford and the killing of 2,000 of its citizens.

Source

All this above sanctioned by parliament which under the King who is head of Church.
 
Catholicism teaches that the sacrifice of Christ on the cross was insufficient to purchase eternal redemption for his people. (See the responses in the thread above where it is explicitly stated)
In the thread above one of your colleaugues states this - the scripture that is adduced to justify this is Col 1:24. Look for yourself.
Col 1:24. Christ’s sacrifice is perfect, but not COMPLETE, in that it is complete only when we participate in it. The purpose of Christ’s death on the cross is our salvation, that would complete the sacrifice. Scott Hahn phrases this better than I
salvationhistory.com/library/Scripture/index.cfm
It also does not recognise the Bible as the complete revelation of God (again, see the responses in the thread above).
I still don’t understand where the doctrine of Sola Scriptura is taught by Christ or his Apostles:confused:
If there are any reasons why Catholicism leads to hell it is these!
:bigyikes:
At this juncture I would just like to thank all of you who have:
  1. Welcomed me to this site
  2. Taken the time to answer me so thoroughly.
Although I am not persuaded of them I have learnt a great deal about actual Catholic beliefs and p.o.v. I appreciate your patience and good will.
👍 That’s the purpose of these forums.
I wish to inform you that I am not trying to get personal or personally offend anybody although I do apologise to Christine as I did get a bit hot under the collar with her. 😉

Regards,

Jonathan 👍
I don’t know where you offended me, but I forgive you! 🙂
 
Getting back to the topic of the thread, it is my opinion that this behavior is the road to hell no matter what the political/religious motives of the persons engaged in it.
Yes,
100% correct!!! Nowhere does the Lord Jesus Christ enjoin or even condone violence in His name.

Guys, I won’t be commenting on this thread for a few days as I am currently researching some material. You have also given me lots of more homework to do! See you soon.

Jonathan
 
I must have dreamt it that Oliver Cromwell didn’t come to Ireland and burn down all the Catholic Churches and hunt down Catholic Priests, driving people to have impromptu Mass wherever it could have been held.

By the time the zealot Oliver Cromwell arrived on the scene, the Irish were ripe for more carnage . “It has pleased God to bless our endeavors,” he wrote of the mass slaughter in 1649, by his Puritan troops of 3,552 Irish inhabitants of the seaport town of Drogheda, just north of Dublin. He pompously continued, “I am persuaded that this is a righteous judgment of God upon these barbarous wretches.”[10] This Drogheda massacre is one of the leading examples of the insidious British policy of ethnic cleansing in Ireland. Another is Cromwell’s sacking of Wexford and the killing of 2,000 of its citizens.

Thanks for this info. I have always wondered about where Cromwell was coming from. I need to look into that whole period of European history.🙂

Source

All this above sanctioned by parliament which under the King who is head of Church.
 
40.png
jmtosh:
One point: In 1649 Charles was a prisoner and was tried and executed by Parliament on January 30th. It is not right therefore to say that parliament approved of Cromwell’s actions under the King who was head of the Church. Cromwell later abolished the Parliament and for a brief period (up to 1660) ruled as Lord Protector.

So, one may say that Cromwell himself with the backing of Parliament perpetrated this slaughter.
 
One point: In 1649 Charles was a prisoner and was tried and executed by Parliament on January 30th. It is not right therefore to say that parliament approved of Cromwell’s actions under the King who was head of the Church. Cromwell later abolished the Parliament and for a brief period (up to 1660) ruled as Lord Protector.

So, one may say that Cromwell himself with the backing of Parliament perpetrated this slaughter.
So, he was doing this as a Non-Conformist Protestant, and not as an Anglican?
 
%between%

All this above sanctioned by parliament which under the King who is head of Church.
I didn’t notice this until jmtosh rightly refuted it. It’s wrong on several levels. Later monarchs (after Henry VIII) did not use the phrase “head of the Church” as far as I know. And Cromwell was certainly not acting under Charles I’s authority. He supported the trial and execution of Charles I as a traitor! Charles I was canonized after the Restoration (the only Anglican ever to be officially canonized!). You have your sides seriously mixed up here. (Not that Anglicans didn’t do horrid things to Catholics in Ireland and elsewhere. But you can’t blame us for Cromwell.)

Edwin
 
So, he was doing this as a Non-Conformist Protestant, and not as an Anglican?
Apparently, yes.

As I said earlier though, I don’t know the circumstances surrounding the massacre at this stage. I fully intend to acquaint myself with the facts.

Was this a siege involving a battle with Irish forces sympathetic to the Royalist cause or Irish Independance? How many civilian deaths in proportion to military casualties / executions?

Cromwell died in 1658. Charles II (restored Monarchy) King 1660.
 
SebMurphy,
Don’t worry about those protestants that say that. They are wrong. There is nothing in Catholic teaching that I see that would lead me, as a Lutheran, to believe that Catholics, as a group, are hell-bound. Most Catholics are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.

Your thread title might have better been stated, “Why do some Protestants say Catholicism Leads to Hell?” Practice your faith, believe in His grace, and forget what those few that hate Catholics say. They seem unable to dislodge the log from their own eye.

“One that believes and is baptized shall be saved.” Grant this, oh Lord, to all of us.

Blessings,
Jon
Hi Jon,
I am new to CAF and sorry to say that many if not all Lutheran churches believe that the Pope and the Catholic Church is the Anti-Christ.
Yes, I have read this very statement on one particular website that I researched.
Also, Calvin is entirely rejected.
I am a protestant Anglo-Catholic(Anglican), however, I have been searching for another church as I am very unhappy at my current one. The reason I am leaving is not the church itself as it is even more traditional in some ways than the catholic church I am attending. The reasons are varied but not necessarily liturgical.
I was absolutely floored when I saw this statement on the Lutheran site.
I am a great fan of Martin Luther and I am so sad that this ancient prejudice is still alive.
I have been attending a catholic church in my town and seriously considering converting to the Catholic faith. I go for an interview tomorrow so we will see how it goes.
Mean time, I am sorry to break this news to you because you seem to be a kind and tolerant soul.
Not even the Baptist churches in my area have put this statement on their website nor have I heard it from any one person in particular.

I really cannot abide these negative statements from one church to another. It is not what Jesus would have going on in my opinion.
God Bless, Fortuna
 
Hi all,

IMHO…you’ve gone a bit off-topic. I’ve had a tough time keeping up with the thread, just because of time. Did we get here because someone said that historical killings by Catholics is what will lead Catholics to hell? :confused:

Regarding Protestant killing of Catholics, of course. My attitude is simple on this account. We are all fallen, Catholic and Protestant, and as such there has been a lot of killing of foes by Christians of all stripes - in wars and in other acts. My own great-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandmother was hanged as a witch by fellow Protestants. 🤷

The only interesting distinction I would make there regarding Protestants and Catholics is that according to many non-Catholic faiths (can’t say all), a “OSAS”, justified by Faith-alone Protestant who massacred a bunch of Catholics is “good to go” to heaven without repenting, confessing, etc., correct?

As Catholics, we don’t believe that a “good Catholic” who has done such terrible things will necessarily make it to heaven. Unless they have confessed contritely and repented, it is unlikely.
 
Hi all,

IMHO…you’ve gone a bit off-topic. I’ve had a tough time keeping up with the thread, just because of time. Did we get here because someone said that historical killings by Catholics is what will lead Catholics to hell? :confused:

Regarding Protestant killing of Catholics, of course. My attitude is simple on this account. We are all fallen, Catholic and Protestant, and as such there has been a lot of killing of foes by Christians of all stripes - in wars and in other acts. My own great-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandmother was hanged as a witch by fellow Protestants. 🤷

The only interesting distinction I would make there regarding Protestants and Catholics is that according to many non-Catholic faiths (can’t say all), a “OSAS”, justified by Faith-alone Protestant who massacred a bunch of Catholics is “good to go” to heaven without repenting, confessing, etc., correct?

As Catholics, we don’t believe that a “good Catholic” who has done such terrible things will necessarily make it to heaven. Unless they have confessed contritely and repented, it is unlikely.
Although I am a Non - Conformist Protestant:

I don’t hate Catholics;
I personally wrestle with the concept OSAS (although I do not discard Calvinism completely);
I cannot see how a true Christian committing Murder and not repenting (and showing the fruits of repentance as enumerated in 2 Corinthians 10 - 11) can go to heaven.
 
Although I am a Non - Conformist Protestant:

I don’t hate Catholics;
I personally wrestle with the concept OSAS (although I do not discard Calvinism completely);
I cannot see how a true Christian committing Murder and not repenting (and showing the fruits of repentance as enumerated in 2 Corinthians 10 - 11) can go to heaven.
OSAS can be interpreted to mean that a true Christian would not do this. I have problems with this view, but it’s one possibility that you should take into account.

Edwin
 
Although I am a Non - Conformist Protestant:

I don’t hate Catholics;
I personally wrestle with the concept OSAS (although I do not discard Calvinism completely);
I cannot see how a true Christian committing Murder and not repenting (and showing the fruits of repentance as enumerated in 2 Corinthians 10 - 11) can go to heaven.
OSAS can be interpreted to mean that a true Christian would not do this. I have problems with this view, but it’s one possibility that you should take into account.

Edwin
Hi Guys,

jmtosh - I understand your struggle. When I was a Presbyterian, that was one of my struggles, as well.

Edwin - I agree that OSAS is sometimes is interpreted this way, but of course that makes any “assurance of heaven” that some non-Catholics claim completely impotent. Surely, unless you have an inflated sense of your own righteousness, you can’t be “certain” of your salvation as there exists the possibility that you could commit a sin which would demonstrate that you weren’t a “true Christian.” I think that is why St. Paul spoke of “working out your salvation in fear and trembling.”
 
Edwin - I agree that OSAS is sometimes is interpreted this way, but of course that makes any “assurance of heaven” that some non-Catholics claim completely impotent. Surely, unless you have an inflated sense of your own righteousness, you can’t be “certain” of your salvation as there exists the possibility that you could commit a sin which would demonstrate that you weren’t a “true Christian.”
The idea is that God will prevent you from doing so. It’s not a self-righteous idea. Committing a sin is not what shows your Christianity to be unreal. Deliberately remaining in sin and failing to repent would do that.

I agree that any version of OSAS that is not antinomian completely fails in its purported aim of giving people assurance and comfort. But then, I come from a Wesleyan Holiness background. I never believed in OSAS. So I try to be fair to it!

Edwin
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top