Why do you believe in Jesus Christ?

• Thread starter Thread starter E.E.N.S
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Happily my Mother raised me to believe. My sponsor at Confirmation ( a saint on Earth) really lives the Gospel and nurtured the faith. I had a transcendent moment which took away any nagging doubts which I may have had. I believe in Jesus through the Grace of God, Bless His Holy Name.

E.E.N.S.:
Good answers guys…but I was inteding to go in a slightly different direction.

Let me ask this then; why do you believe what you believe about Jesus?
There are several levels of response to your question - and the answer depends upon it’s interpretation and the individual who answers it.
My faith comes from a variety of sources, all of them by the Grace of God. I, also, like others who posted before me, have always known Jesus as Lord since I was a small child. I received this gift of faith *through *my parents and their example.
My awareness of the presence of Jesus Christ in my life has been most dramatic and tangible during Holy Communion. Uncontrollable tears of joy and gratitude prompted by the realization of my own pitiful unworthiness before Him while simultaneously He makes me aware that despite my failings He loves me and forgives me.
My intellectual belief comes most strongly from the witness of the Apostles and martyrs. It is hard to rationalize how an entire group of otherwise normal individuals not only become devout followers of Christ, but how, after his death, when history would predict that they would scatter and disappear, their lives are transformed by the reality of the Resurrection. They not only live a life transformed by Him, they accept death in many cruel forms - at the hands of others - rather than recant the reality of the risen Lord. Nothin’ beats a credible eyewitness testimony unrecanted (for no apparent gain), taken to the grave.

Phil

Okay, no one is starving in my house anymore. I suppose I should try to finish the story.

I went to see the priest and he said that I could go to these classes and then get confirmed on Easter Vigil. It was a dream come true, someone willing to confirm me (for those who have heard me before, perhaps ad nauseum, my parent wouldn’t let me get confimed in the church I grew up in, making me feel like I was in pause mode). The path was clear! So, anyway, I ended up Catholic, as they said nothing disagreable during RCIA.

I had absolutely no reason at hand to deny the call, and that allowed me to become Catholic. Becoming obedient and informed is another story.:o

I do want to add that it helped that I admired St. Thomas Moore, who had backbone. From my limited perspective at the time, piety, immense devotion, and backbone were a phenomenon in the Catholic Church, and I wanted these things for myself. This factor allowed it to seem attractive, so that I didn’t respond with complete puzzlement and just blow it off when I was praying and the HS suggested the Catholic Church. Otherwise it would have seemed too “out there” to take seriously, and the moment would have passed. Thank you saints of the Church!!!

40.png
Philthy:
There are several levels of response to your question - and the answer depends upon it’s interpretation and the individual who answers it.
My faith comes from a variety of sources, all of them by the Grace of God. I, also, like others who posted before me, have always known Jesus as Lord since I was a small child. I received this gift of faith *through *my parents and their example.
My awareness of the presence of Jesus Christ in my life has been most dramatic and tangible during Holy Communion. Uncontrollable tears of joy and gratitude prompted by the realization of my own pitiful unworthiness before Him while simultaneously He makes me aware that despite my failings He loves me and forgives me.
My intellectual belief comes most strongly from the witness of the Apostles and martyrs. It is hard to rationalize how an entire group of otherwise normal individuals not only become devout followers of Christ, but how, after his death, when history would predict that they would scatter and disappear, their lives are transformed by the reality of the Resurrection. They not only live a life transformed by Him, they accept death in many cruel forms - at the hands of others - rather than recant the reality of the risen Lord. Nothin’ beats a credible eyewitness testimony unrecanted (for no apparent gain), taken to the grave.

Phil
Excellent response Phil!

“Why do you believe in Jesus Christ?”
First thought comes to mind; because He believes in me.
Secular sources as well as the Gospels prove He was here, what He did and who He was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back