Why does Church teaching on "Legitimate Defense" not apply to the unborn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willing_Spirit

Active member
The Catechism talks about “Legitimate Defense” starting at 2263. One line states, “The defense of the common good requires that an unjust aggressor be rendered unable to cause harm.” As far as I understand, what is considered to be justified action in the preservation of the lives of born people is considered unjustified in the defense of the unborn. Why is this?
 
As far as I understand, what is considered to be justified action in the preservation of the lives of born people is considered unjustified in the defense of the unborn. Why is this?
What would you consider to be justified action?
 
Last edited:
The Catechism talks about “Legitimate Defense” starting at 2263. One line states, “The defense of the common good requires that an unjust aggressor be rendered unable to cause harm.” As far as I understand, what is considered to be justified action in the preservation of the lives of born people is considered unjustified in the defense of the unborn. Why is this?
Well, for one thing, the unborn child has a right to be where they are, and a claim upon being physically attached to the mother, until they are developed enough to be viable without harm to themselves from being removed.
 
You misinterpret my meaning. I ask about defending the unborn from an attacking doctor, not defending a pregnant woman from the unborn.
 
If someone attacks you, you have a right to defend yourself.
I do not understand your correlation.
What does it have to do with the unborn.
 
Based on my reading of the CCC, to be specific 2265 it that section appears more aimed at those in legit offices of power, for example the state. Also what is unable to cause harm? Simply standing in front of the office doors? I guess what I’m asking here is some clarification on what you are asking… Are you wanting to know why attacking a doctor isn’t acceptable?..Also the CCC makes it clear that this is self defence, meaning a attack against you
 
Last edited:
I’m referring to your thread from yesterday where you were looking for justification to violently attack abortion clinics and providers. It was explained to you then that there is no such justification in Catholic doctrine. As @phantom197676 explains, self-defense means self-defense, not defense of others. The proportionality doctrine also requires that no more than the necessary force be used in order to defend others. It has not yet been proven that violence is the only means that will successfully stop abortion from happening.

Bottom line: it’s not going to work. You can’t physically attack abortion providers and destroy abortion clinics in order to stop abortion, and then claim it’s what the Church teaches. Because it isn’t what the Church teaches.
 
Last edited:
You should not mention that thread. It has been removed by moderators for a reason. I am trying to gain understanding on the matter, I am not trying to say any of what you have claimed.
 
Last edited:
It was absolutely removed by the moderators for a reason, and that reason was that you were trying to get people to say that Catholic doctrine supports violent attacks on abortion providers and clinics. It doesn’t, and if you’re going to insist on that again, this thread too needs to be removed.

I’ve had threads removed too, when I got too emotional. It happens, and it should be cause for some self-reflection. Not just coming up with another argument.
 
Last edited:
Well first it’s always best to call the police if you see someone being attacked yes. You’re comparing apples to oranges I’m afraid. You seem to be looking for some teaching that will allow for the justifiable attack on an abortion clinic or doctor, there isn’t one. You can pray for the doctors that they may come to see the error in their ways… You can pray for the mothers that they find the healing they need in their lives and you can pray for the Gov that they find the strength to accept just because something is seen as acceptable doesn’t make it right. YOu can not attack anyone and claim self defence.

I would if you are so moved to contact your local church see if they have a right to life ministry that you can look into if you feel God is calling you to protect the innocent
 
Last edited:
I’m am not insisting anything. I am seeking understanding and explanation on Church teaching. Are we only allowed to call the police when we see another person being attacked? Is it wrong to attempt disarming an attacker while waiting for the police?
 
Is it wrong to attempt disarming an attacker while waiting for the police?
When it involves unnecessary violence, it most certainly is. If I’m swinging a baseball bat at someone, you have no justification to mow me down with an AK-47. Taking the bat away is sufficient.
 
Last edited:
I am not looking for justification. I would never do anything like that. It would just result in going to jail. I am just trying to resolve what seems like a contradiction to me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top